St. Paul buying nuisance/ongoing police call home

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

St. Paul buying nuisance/ongoing police call home

Postby INOR on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 am

Remember the Lavauntai Broadbent shooting from a while back? Related?

http://www.startribune.com/west-st-paul ... 419308844/
INOR

Re: St. Paul buying nuisance/ongoing police call home

Postby INOR on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:09 am

Definitely related. Another article from March.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/17/we ... or-a-year/
INOR

Postby photogpat on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

Man-Man's mom. My neighborhood - literally 3 blocks away.

The neighbors there have been living a nightmare. Constant traffic, dogs barking, gunshots, etc.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby LarryP on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:33 am

That house should be worth about 10 grand then
LarryP

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:03 pm

photogpat wrote:Man-Man's mom. My neighborhood - literally 3 blocks away.

The neighbors there have been living a nightmare. Constant traffic, dogs barking, gunshots, etc.

Pat,
Perhaps you can help answer this:
I've been following this story in the papers, and in no way am I defending the residents, but if they are such major problems, why hasn't anyone been arrested, or cited for property violations?
If the problem is that blatant, it would seem some criminal, and/ or civil citing would have occurred.
While I sympathize with the neighborhood, this sets an incredibly dangerous precedent; one that may ultimately solve nothing if these bums choose to move back in somewhere close by.
My concern is that this will merely encourage people of similar ilk to behave the same in hopes of extorting a buyout.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

xd ED wrote:
photogpat wrote:Man-Man's mom. My neighborhood - literally 3 blocks away.

Pat,
Perhaps you can help answer this:
I've been following this story in the papers, and in no way am I defending the residents, but if they are such major problems, why hasn't anyone been arrested, or cited for property violations?
If the problem is that blatant, it would seem some criminal, and/ or civil citing would have occurred.
While I sympathize with the neighborhood, this sets an incredibly dangerous precedent; one that may ultimately solve nothing if these bums choose to move back in somewhere close by.
My concern is that this will merely encourage people of similar ilk to behave the same in hopes of extorting a buyout.

We had 2 of these houses within 3 houses of ours. One lost there house to forclosed the other chose to straighten up. It did help that her son won a 2 1/2 year vacation to a sunny St Cloud prison. She was looking at being bared from her home for a year. We had a lot of hood rats buying houses prier to the housing bust. Every one of the lost the propertys, thankfully.
Sorcerer

Postby goalie on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 pm

I grew up right there. As in walking to my friend Tom's house three doors down took less than two minutes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 am

I don't know that there is a right answer here.

I'm a pretty ardent support of civil liberties and property rights. I also understand the value of nuisance standards though. Once your use of your property affects my use and enjoyment of my property -- that's where I draw the line. Flying bullets and fee ranging dangerous dogs seems to be a good example of that.

This house attracted nuisances -- to the level of a dangerous condition for it's neighbors' continued enjoyment of their homes and property. The amount the City was spending in calls to the property has probably exceeded the purchase price of the home -- and the homeowner didn't seem interested in remedying the situation (even publicly she's denied there was an issue).

I think the City did the only thing it could do without a long and protracted legal battle...which may ultimately even have been fruitless.
photogpat

Postby hard h2o on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am

It is often claimed when youth are "victimized" by the police that they were good kids, difnt do nuffin, just getting their lives in order, fell in with the wrong crowd...

These men victimized their mother until she is on the verge of being barred from her home.

At some point mom needs to kick these criminals to the curb.

Hopefully the next town they move to is able to get a handle on it before things get out of hand.
hard h2o

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 am

hard h2o wrote:It is often claimed when youth are "victimized" by the police that they were good kids, difnt do nuffin, just getting their lives in order, fell in with the wrong crowd...

These men victimized their mother until she is on the verge of being barred from her home.

At some point mom needs to kick these criminals to the curb.

Hopefully the next town they move to is able to get a handle on it before things get out of hand.

I can almost assure you that wherever they end up, the local authorities will be given a courtesy call.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:10 pm

photogpat wrote:I don't know that there is a right answer here.

I'm a pretty ardent support of civil liberties and property rights. I also understand the value of nuisance standards though. Once your use of your property affects my use and enjoyment of my property -- that's where I draw the line. Flying bullets and fee ranging dangerous dogs seems to be a good example of that.

This house attracted nuisances -- to the level of a dangerous condition for it's neighbors' continued enjoyment of their homes and property. The amount the City was spending in calls to the property has probably exceeded the purchase price of the home -- and the homeowner didn't seem interested in remedying the situation (even publicly she's denied there was an issue).

I think the City did the only thing it could do without a long and protracted legal battle...which may ultimately even have been fruitless.

Where I grew up, shooting stray dogs wasn't uncommon
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:17 pm

photogpat wrote:I can almost assure you that wherever they end up, the local authorities will be given a courtesy call.

If, wherever you go, there is friction with the fuzz.... the problem probably isn't with the police....
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Return to In The News