1000 yard range north of Forest Lake?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby mc762x54R on Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Isn't there a 1,000 yard gun club somewhere north of Forest Lake?
Does someone have the name and/or what it takes to join?
mc762x54R

Re: 1000 yard range north of Forest Lake?

Postby xd ED on Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 pm

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mc762x54R on Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Thanks, that's the one.
Anyone want to sponsor me? :?:
mc762x54R

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

mc762x54R wrote:Thanks, that's the one.
Anyone want to sponsor me? :?:

I would but I just became a member this year, so I'm not eligible to sponsor yet. You can go to the required meetings (2) and they will help find you a sponsor. We just had the May monthly meeting tonight.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 17, 2017 6:22 am

How do you like the range? Is it well kept up? I would love to join, but I live about 2 hours away and wouldn't be able to go very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby grimbeaver on Wed May 17, 2017 7:10 am

Be sure to read the list of rules, it's quite extensive:
http://www.grrc.org/about-2/range-rules/

Also look at the calendar. They hold a lot of events which may conflict with when you are wanting to use the range.

Those are the two things that turned me off from looking at it further.
grimbeaver

Postby xd ED on Wed May 17, 2017 7:22 am

grimbeaver wrote:Be sure to read the list of rules, it's quite extensive:

Also look at the calendar. They hold a lot of events which may conflict with when you are wanting to use the range.

What were your issues with the rules?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:20 am

I was told by the VP of GRRC that the main interest for the club is competitions. If you can shoot during the week, it should be easy. Weekends, during the summer....filled with competitions.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby MJY65 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am

BigDog58 wrote:I was told by the VP of GRRC that the main interest for the club is competitions. If you can shoot during the week, it should be easy. Weekends, during the summer....filled with competitions.

Aren't the longer ranges somewhat limited except during matches? I inquired a few years ago and got the idea the long range was off limits for casual use, but perhaps that has changed.
MJY65

Postby grimbeaver on Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 am

xd ED wrote:
grimbeaver wrote:Be sure to read the list of rules, it's quite extensive:

What were your issues with the rules?

I didn't really have any specific issues... just wow there's a lot.

The kicker for me was that I would probably only be able to make it up there on weekends and the KD range is booked every weekend all summer.
grimbeaver

Postby acs75 on Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 am

I shoot at GRRC every other week in summer and at least once month during winter. Almost alway during week. I mostly shoot at KD range but also at MP. I have Never had an issue trying to shoot there.
At KD range who ever is there gets to choose what range you are shooting. But I never had an issue with guys working together to shoot at whatever distance we each wanted to. But I shoot 1000 yards so any distance is fine with me.
You Will NOT find a better range with a better group of guys then GRRC. The range is Well taken care of. Heated clubhouse for shooting in cold temps.

As for shooting and not being a member you can shoot KD range during practice time it's open to public (check with board member). Here is event calendar.
Feel free to contact guys on board to ask questions. This is my second year there.
It's well worth it. I drive 2 hours one way to shoot there in winter. We got a seasonal campsite near there for summer. It's a short drive from there

http://www.grrc.org/events/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by acs75 on Wed May 17, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acs75

Postby Erud on Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 am

GRRC is the only 1000-yard range in the state, so that is where all of the long range matches get held for all disciplines; Highpower/f-class, benchrest, blackpowder, etc. Next closest 1k ranges are 4+ hours away in Lodi, WI, or 7+ hours in Bismarck, ND. As mentioned above, that keeps summer weekends pretty busy there. If you join, try out one or more of the matches. You mind that shooting competitively is a lot more fun than just shooting groups by yourself. Regardless of which discipline, shooting with guys who know their stuff will also make you a lot better shooter a lot faster.
Erud

Postby acs75 on Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 am

No it's not the only 1000 yards gun range in the state.
Rush lake Gun Range is 1000 yards setup similar to GRRC. They just opened last year. I haven't shot it yet. I have a thread on here about it.
acs75

Postby xd ED on Wed May 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Just to reemphasize the previous posts regarding the KD Range-
During the week it's open to members, save for a few reserved hours by specific disciplines (Mon?:BR, Tues: HP/ sling, Thurs: LR/ F Class). However, even then it has been my experience that I was welcome to shoot with them, at the same time. Rather than being an obstacle, it's typically an opportunity it to shoot with, and get coaching, advice, and pit service from some of the best shooters in the country. I can't begin to recite what I've affirmatively learned and the number of myths/ misconceptions busted, just by hanging around, listening, and asking a few questions.
If you've never shot there before, as an unknown entity be prepared to answer a few questions about your equipment, experience, etc, and be amiable to those who help you work into the regimen in place.

As to 'all the rules'...there are 5 unique firearm ranges covering most disciplines, and an archery range; all of which come with certain, inviolate practices and procedures. Throw in RV camping, wilderness/ tent camping, group camping, a bit of wildlife management,some forestry projects, at least 2 miles of roads, seasonal hunting, and a maple syrup operation ... on several hundred acres of property, with neighbors on all sides.
Safety is paramount, as well as peaceful coexistence amongst everyone on, and around the range.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs