Can someone check their Speer Manual #14 for a specific load

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Can someone check their Speer Manual #14 for a specific load

Postby linksep on Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 am

I'm looking for a published .40 S&W 180gr Flat-Point Plated bullet over Bullseye load. (Berry's to be specific, but I figure Speer 180gr FP-Plated should be close enough to share charge weights.)

My Lee and Lyman manuals don't have it, nor does the Alliant website.

Hodgdon website has Berry's 180gr FP over lots of their powders, I just want to try Bullseye under that projectile if I can find a load for it (because I have some Bullseye to try out).

I'm not looking for someone to give me the actual recipe... if it's in the manual, I'll buy the manual and read the recipe myself.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Re: Can someone check their Speer Manual #14 for a specific load

Postby JJ on Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 am

Looking at it right now. it's in the manual, but the max is for all 180g loads (and is 0.2 lower than listed on the Alliant site)
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 am

Geez - that's a first!! The person asking for the load info doesn't want the actual charge weight, because he's going to out and buy the manual anyway. Then again, with 368 posts linksep isn't even close to a n00b....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby linksep on Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 pm

If anyone has any alternate sources for that bullet and powder combo from a trusted publisher I'm open to suggestions. Speer manual is the only one I could think of...
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby noylj on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:15 am

>.40 S&W 180gr Flat-Point Plated bullet over Bullseye load. (Berry's to be specific...

What is wrong with the general "use lead bullet data for plated bullets?"
What is wrong with "use start to mid-range jacketed bullet data for plated bullets," IF the manufacturer says it is safe to do so?
Well, lets's see what Berry's says.
Berry's says on their web site:
"You can use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet. Berry's offers our standard plate bullets which can handle velocities up to 1,250 fps and 1,500 fps for our Thick Plate (TP) versions...
We recommend a light crimp on the bullet, just enough to put pressure against the bullet without denting or deforming the plating. If you were to pull the bullet out of a case with the proper crimp you would find no more than a scratch on the surface of the plating. If you are denting or deforming the bullet, your accuracy will suffer and the bullet may start to tumble before it hits the target."
Beyond that, as part of always being as safe as possible, I always start at the lowest start load I can find. I may only fire one or two rounds (to check function and inspect fired case and such) before working up. Reloading is all about the fact that components have an effect and NO manual can tell you exactly how any bullet will perform with your mix of components (even is the manual used "the same" bullet), thus the need to start low and work up. Safety first.

A good source of compiled data would be Richard Lee's #2 manual where he separates lead, jacketed, plated, etc. In #2, he shows:
180gn jacketed with 5.0gn Bullseye start and 5.5gn Max
and
180gn lead bullet with 4.2gn Bullseye start and 4.5gn Max
(He only has plated data for AA2, AA5, AA7, and AA9, and XTP data for Accurate and Hodgdon powders).

Hornady lists 3.9gn start and 4.6gn MAX for their HP/XTP.

Speer #12 (and the Alliant site) shows 4.9gn start and 5.5gn MAX for 180gn TMJ or GD-HP, both plated bullets.

My method is to check every source I have, and I see:
Start loads in manuals for either all 180gn jacketed bullets range from 3.8-5.0gn of Bullseye, with max loads of 5.5-5.6. Since I don't know how my lot of powder or particular bullet will act, I would work up 4.0, 4.4, 4.8, 5.2gn and see how things progress.
Start loads in manuals for either all 180gn lead bullets range from 3.4-4.2, with max loads of 3.8-5.3gn. So, I would consider that one manual with a MAX load at 3.8gn as a warning NOT to assume anything, and I would work up 3.4, 3.7, 4.0, 4.3gn and see how it goes.
If I looked at both sources, I would still feel safest starting lowest, but that is me. I would rather waster a few bullets and make sure the loads are safe.
noylj

Return to Ammunition & Reloading