Primary Arms 4-14FFP and other optic woes

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Postby LumberZach on Fri May 05, 2017 7:12 am

I thought I would share my experience so far.

I purchased the above mentioned primary arms scope about 6 months ago. I mounted it up on an AR-10 using an American defense mfg. one piece mount and have been very happy with the setup until now. I know ar-10's are tough on optics, but all 107 rounds were fine, and the scope was fine when I put it in the safe last. On Friday I was going to go shoot with it, but when I pulled it out of the safe, the reticle was crooked about 40 degrees. I checked, and everything was still tight. Had I not looked through the optic you would never know anything was wrong. Since having it, I have fired exactly 107 rounds through the rifle with the scope mounted. The last time I shot it, was in February. It never got bumped or dropped or anything. The only thing that would make any sense is the temperate shift between February and now. Either way, I emailed primary arms about it and they said to send it in and they will either fix it or replace it. I'm a little unhappy that they wouldn't pay for shipping, but that's about the smallest deal. I will update this thread with what I hear back.

So I still ended up going to the range on Friday, and I always bring my cheap gander mountain brand spotting scope with me. I've probably had it close to 10 years. I went to adjust the focus ring, and the entire eye piece pulled out of the main body of the scope rendering it useless. I found the warranty card, and it says it has a lifetime warranty. However, I must have the original receipt. I do not have the original receipt. They gave me a corporate phone number to call to send me a copy of any receipt. However I can't imagine how I'm going to find it. That isn't exactly the only thing ever bought at gander. And now with the company being sold I'm guessing I better get on this asap.

Lastly, I ordered a Konus 20-60X80 spotting scope from midwayusa. It got here on Tuesday. I opened the box, and it was already broken. I could hear something rattling inside, and looking through it was completely black, nothing could be seen. Midway was the best to deal with out of the 3 companies so far. I went online and went through their returns module. They sent me a shipping label, it got back to them and a new scope is already on its way to me. Hopefully the next one won't be broken.

3 optics died in 5 days on me. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Re: Primary Arms 4-14FFP and other optic woes

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 05, 2017 7:36 am

LumberZach wrote:I thought I would share my experience so far.

I purchased the above mentioned primary arms scope about 6 months ago. I mounted it up on an AR-10 using an American defense mfg. one piece mount and have been very happy with the setup until now. I know ar-10's are tough on optics, but all 107 rounds were fine, and the scope was fine when I put it in the safe last. On Friday I was going to go shoot with it, but when I pulled it out of the safe, the reticle was crooked about 40 degrees. I checked, and everything was still tight. Had I not looked through the optic you would never know anything was wrong. Since having it, I have fired exactly 107 rounds through the rifle with the scope mounted. The last time I shot it, was in February. It never got bumped or dropped or anything. The only thing that would make any sense is the temperate shift between February and now. Either way, I emailed primary arms about it and they said to send it in and they will either fix it or replace it. I'm a little unhappy that they wouldn't pay for shipping, but that's about the smallest deal. I will update this thread with what I hear back.

So I still ended up going to the range on Friday, and I always bring my cheap gander mountain brand spotting scope with me. I've probably had it close to 10 years. I went to adjust the focus ring, and the entire eye piece pulled out of the main body of the scope rendering it useless. I found the warranty card, and it says it has a lifetime warranty. However, I must have the original receipt. I do not have the original receipt. They gave me a corporate phone number to call to send me a copy of any receipt. However I can't imagine how I'm going to find it. That isn't exactly the only thing ever bought at gander. And now with the company being sold I'm guessing I better get on this asap.

Lastly, I ordered a Konus 20-60X80 spotting scope from midwayusa. It got here on Tuesday. I opened the box, and it was already broken. I could hear something rattling inside, and looking through it was completely black, nothing could be seen. Midway was the best to deal with out of the 3 companies so far. I went online and went through their returns module. They sent me a shipping label, it got back to them and a new scope is already on its way to me. Hopefully the next one won't be broken.

3 optics died in 5 days on me. Hopefully that's the end of it.

2 is one, one is none, in your case 3 is none, 5 is some? Sorry for your woes. Sucks when things break. Midway will make it right though, I am certain of that.
Holland&Holland

Postby Randygmn on Fri May 05, 2017 7:52 am

Bummer about the shipping, but primary Arms will make it right, too. They will just replace it. I've listened to many interviews with their owner Dimitri, and I have no doubt that they'll honor their no questions asked full warranty. Please keep us updated.
Randygmn

Postby UnaStamus on Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Dang...you must have broken some mirrors while throwing some salt on a couple black cats underneath a ladder.
As much as I dislike PA, I have heard that they do back their products. So, good on that.
Good luck with the Gander Mtn thing. That company is so messed up right now, I wouldn't be holding my breath about getting it resolved. My suggestion would be to consider that you got 10 years of use and leave it at that, but certainly no harm in trying to get a replacement if it's free.

If you want to stick with more "bargain" level optics, I would consider going to Vortex if you continue to have issues.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby LumberZach on Tue May 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Update #1

UPS's website says that the primary arms scope was delivered. No word yet, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a few more days until they have a chance to look at it.

New konus spotting scope came from midwayusa and it is so far perfect! (Knock on wood) big fan of this so I hope it lasts 5 lifetimes.

Tried calling Gander over the weekend, but I couldn't get through to anyone before I had to move on to something else. It would be nice if I could get it fixed, but I'm not holding my breath. This may mean I can justify buying a few more spotting scopes now.

LumberZach

Postby Randygmn on Tue May 09, 2017 3:08 pm

LumberZach wrote:Update #1

UPS's website says that the primary arms scope was delivered. No word yet, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a few more days until they have a chance to look at it.

New konus spotting scope came from midwayusa and it is so far perfect! (Knock on wood) big fan of this so I hope it lasts 5 lifetimes.

Tried calling Gander over the weekend, but I couldn't get through to anyone before I had to move on to something else. It would be nice if I could get it fixed, but I'm not holding my breath. This may mean I can justify buying a few more spotting scopes now.

Fwiw- you may not hear anything at all from primary arms. If you left your return address, I expect you'll just receive a replacement in the next few days. I'd be surprised otherwise. Thx for the update.
Randygmn

Postby LumberZach on Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Randygmn wrote:
LumberZach wrote:Update #1

Fwiw- you may not hear anything at all from primary arms. If you left your return address, I expect you'll just receive a replacement in the next few days. I'd be surprised otherwise. Thx for the update.

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. I certainly wouldn't be sad if that were the case.

LumberZach

Postby LumberZach on Sun May 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Yupp, less than a week after Primary Arms got the scope I received a new one. So far so good. Sucks when these things break, but glad they made it right. Hopefully this one will last longer.

LumberZach

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 am

LumberZach wrote:Yupp, less than a week after Primary Arms got the scope I received a new one. So far so good. Sucks when these things break, but glad they made it right. Hopefully this one will last longer.

Not surprised at all. That's what a real "no questions asked" warranty looks like. They'd do the same thing even if it had gotten blow up with 50 pounds of tannerite.
Randygmn

Postby LumberZach on Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 pm

So does anyone have good methods of removing loctite from inside the screw holes on a scope mount? Now that it's one to remount I'm having trouble getting everything clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby smurfman on Sat May 20, 2017 1:20 am

Try heating the screws. I use a pencil soldering iron on the screw head to apply heat directly to the screw. I've used a hair dryer too but it took longer and did not work as quickly nor as well as the soldering iron.
smurfman

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 am

A $3 windproof blow torch lighter that can be bought at any gas station will work in 5 seconds.
Randygmn

Postby LumberZach on Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 am

I tried using a regular lighter. Seemed to work ok. Do I need to worry about heating up the screws too much with this sort of thing? How about the mount itself?

LumberZach

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 am

LumberZach wrote:I tried using a regular lighter. Seemed to work ok. Do I need to worry about heating up the screws too much with this sort of thing? How about the mount itself?

I prefer the torch lighters because the flame can be directed with pin point accuracy. Sure it's hotter, but less time is required. A regular lighter will work, but you'll heat up more surface area. If it's a one and done thing, and you do it quickly, shouldn't effect the integrity of the metal. Just pick up a torch lighter and keep it with your tools for future use.
Randygmn

Return to Reviews