Auction for Bluto and his pup (AR15 Receivers)

For pre-approved charitable fundraising activities only. Mod permission required before starting a thread
Forum rules
Marketplace rules apply

Re: Auction for Bluto and his pup (AR15 Receivers)

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 pm

About time we see you at a function. Missing you at steel shoots for some time Jon.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby tullibee on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:23 am

I've been missing the steel shoots too! I'm so out of practice even Pat Cannon could beat me! :)

(sorry Pat, but I had to go there...)
tullibee

Postby bluto on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

I grabbed the 100rds of .223 this morning from tom.
bluto

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:16 pm

The winner received his prize tonight :D Nice meeting you Jon, and thank you for your contribution to this cause. I hope the surgery takes care of things and your pup has a swift recovery.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby photogpat on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 pm

What kinda primers does the winner want?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Read on if you have time for a little story...

Years ago, an act of kindness was bestowed upon me by a board member here that I've held onto dearly. You see, I wasn't always great at managing my money, I drank too much, and didn't really think about the future. I don't remember all the "hows" or "whys," but at some point I managed to dig myself into a hole that required me to sell off most of my guns. I wasn't in awful debt, but I had very little in my bank account, and had a large house payment, dogs to take care of, and a healthy appetite for booze that all had to be fed. Looking back, I'm rather ashamed to admit it, but I believe that I reached out to the members here, asking if someone had a cheap handgun they would be willing to let me buy or use until I could get things straightened out. There was a certain member here who reached out to me promptly, and within short order, met me to show what he had for me. It was nicer than anything I could have imagined, although nothing fancy. If my memory serves, it was a Smith and Wesson 5906. All stainless steel, nice heft (I used to repair vintage stereo equipment so appreciate anything with some weight to it), a quality piece that I wouldn't need to worry about failing if, God forbid, I ever needed to use it. Far better than I deserved. This individual even had a holster for me so that I could carry it, and took the time to patiently go through all the functions of this gun. I seem to recall that it would automatically drop the slide when a mag was inserted.

We parted ways, and I carried that gun for a period of time that I can't recall. At some point, I must have bought a new handgun, and as I said I would, returned the gun to its rightful owner. I will never forget that mustache or the twinkle in his eye. He liked to carry the classic 1911, and even had a screen name that reflected that.

His name was Pete.

He didn't know me, and had never met me outside of seeing letters typed on a screen. Certainly didn't owe me anything. I really wish I had known him better, as I can tell he was a great man and kind person from how he is spoken of, and even from my brief acquaintance with him. Maybe once I pass on I'll have the honor of seeing him again. It is in the spirit of that act of kindness that made me want to do this auction. I don't know Jim and may never meet him in person, but I sincerely hope the money helps his beloved pup and buys them many great years of happiness and friendship together. I sometimes wish I still drank, because I'd down a bottle of single malt scotch to toast Pete, Jim, his pup, and the awesome people here that make me believe that there is still good left in humanity.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby bluto on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Great story, it all comes around when people do good.

I am ok with what cash I do get, $867 / month SSID and I do a very PT "job" doing in home health care for a darling girl with MS which doesn't pay a lot but I would do it for free as that is how I have always been and it keeps me sane from not being able to do construction anymore.

I had to scrape for 2yrs to get my ar-15 and yet in the 80's I had 2 30 gun safes full of everything from a beretta 25 flip up to a pair of gatling guns, one a pair of 10/22's and a pair of 30 carbines on the other, even had a spas 12ga....then I got married and divorced and it was all gone, that was '91

Was in an accident on march '00 and was diagnosed with diabetes and a laundry list of issues like a 680 blood sugar at the time and by march '01 I was out of my job and applied for SSID for that and other medical reasons and been on it since '03

So now after 14 yrs of SSID it's tough but I make do with what I have and know I shouldn't be owning a dog but I wasn't looking for a dog but couldn't let her go to the pound.

You folks saved me in a big way, if it wasn't for this, I'd still be trying to get enough and stressing out.

Bless you aaron.
bluto

Postby tullibee on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 pm

photogpat wrote:What kinda primers does the winner want?

prefer small rifle at the moment (have pretty good supply of pistol at the moment)

trying to work out with bluto to hook up with some friends of mine that are coming up this weekend to bring the extra goodies that I didn't pick up today.

talking with Aaron early this evening was great. we touched on motorcycles and reminisced about gone but not forgotten board members - a really great stroll down memory lane! I miss Pete too and think of him often. it brought me great joy to read Aaron's post about his kindness. I'm glad I was able to be a part of continuing his legacy in this tough time for someone I have only met here in cyberspace!

pay it forward everyone once in a while - it sure makes a person feel good!

Jon

edit to add: just having a wee nip of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and toasting to Pete... I think he'd approve. :salute:
tullibee

Postby bluto on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:17 am

Pat, lmk when you are ready and I'll stop by and grab them.
bluto

Postby bluto on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Well folks, I went to mission this morning to drop off roxy and after a hour of waiting in the exam room the dr. comes in and says they scheduled the wrong surgery / surgeon...... :wack:

So now a third time has been scheduled for nov 4th.

I can't take much more of this nonsense, the stress has me drained in every way.

Will update on the 4th and a pic from this morning in the exam room, so was so excited.

bluto

Postby bluto on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 pm

FINALLY...We just got home and the surgery went well and roxy did very well under anesthesia.

Thanks again to those that helped, it is greatly appreciated.

:thankyou:
bluto

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:14 pm

I hope he has a Full and Fast Recovery
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby bluto on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks, she is doing well, gets the remaining staples out this saturday.

Well it's been an experience dealing with this but glad I have the chance to do it for her, had some issues with giving her meds at first but my daughter gets her to take them.

I had no idea the incision would be so large but it is scabbing up well, she is mobile but still hopping around on three paws but her surgery leg is getting range of motion from me and it's looking good.

Have a great day all !
bluto

Postby Dante on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:29 am

My lab blew out one knee and then just after getting all healed up, blew out the other knee and they had to remove some of the work on the first knee when they fixed the second. She was about 1 and 1/2 the first time and 2 and a half the second. It was a big investment and I knew she might never be able to hunt much but she was such a great pup I knew I had to try. She lasted 13 years and was worth every penny, as I am sure yours is to you.

You have a fine looking dog and I am glad to hear things worked out.
Dante

Postby bluto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks dante, got the staples out last week and the would is healed up and she is starting to put pressure on it so all good, have to go back in jan. for final xrays to make sure everything is good.
bluto

Previous

Return to Charitable Auctions/Sales