AR builders, chime in please

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR builders, chime in please

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 am

Never built one from scratch. I buy uppers and do the rest. Bought a upper recently. 10 inch barrel in 300 BO. At range this past weekend. after 20 shots, would not eject brass. Called it a day. Got home to clean and saw the gas tube dislodged and the the piece that the gas tube is attached to spins around the barrel. Am assuming the idiots didn't locktight the hex screws. Am sceptical on fixing it myself instead of sending it in, if I can. Already sent the company I purchased it from demanding a refund for piss poor QC. Fix it myself or send it back for a refund? Have never had this happen before owning multiple AR's in the past. Am waiting on a response. My loads were not hot at all. 2150 fps shooting 110 v-max. Thanks
Bearcatrp

Re: AR builders, chime in please

Postby catalyst686 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:22 am

What brand is the upper?
catalyst686

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am

Assuming free float hand guard on it. Gas blocks are either set screw (most common) or clamp on. Usually if it is set screw there is a dimple on the bottom of the barrel for the screw to go into to help ensure you have it aligned right. I have both styles and just used blue loctite and never had one come loose. Difficulty to fix yourself all depends on how easy it is to get at the screws. Some hand guards can be a lot of work to get off. Also would want to take a close look and see if the gas tube got bent/damaged at all.

If they are going to pay return shipping then nothing wrong with sending it back. If they are not I would look at what it would take to just fix it yourself because it probably will not be too difficult.
grimbeaver

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm

If you are using a threadlocker on a gas block, you should be using a high-temp one like Rocksett or Loctite Green. Anything less (like Loctite blue or red) will burn off. At that point, the only thing holding the set screw in place is the torque level and thread fitment/friction. If you don’t have the screw anymore, you can get more from the manufacturer and install/fix yourself. Personally, I prefer to either taper pin the gas block, or buy a clamp-style gas block. Take this opportunity to buy an adjustable gas block if you have any inclination to run the .300BO suppresssed.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Got a call from them today. Talked sensibly. Was hot under the collar when I emailed them but he understood. Was told they backed off a bit on the 2 hex screws due to customers complaining. Said I was the 1st to report this issue. Got the hand guard off, lined up gas block, after using blue locktight, tightened both screws. Will be getting an adjustable one when I can afford a suppressor. 1st time doing something like this. Easy. May build one from ground up next time. The company was Sota Arms out of north branch. 10 inch complete upper in 300 BO for $250 bucks. Guess will see how it goes on the next range trip. thanks again guys.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Should use Rocksett on those screws or high heat loctite.
Ghost

Postby catalyst686 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Got a call from them today. Talked sensibly. Was hot under the collar when I emailed them but he understood. Was told they backed off a bit on the 2 hex screws due to customers complaining. Said I was the 1st to report this issue. Got the hand guard off, lined up gas block, after using blue locktight, tightened both screws. Will be getting an adjustable one when I can afford a suppressor. 1st time doing something like this. Easy. May build one from ground up next time. The company was Sota Arms out of north branch. 10 inch complete upper in 300 BO for $250 bucks. Guess will see how it goes on the next range trip. thanks again guys.

They "backed off on the set screws" because customers complaining about what? There gas blocks not coming loose often enough? That doesn't make sense.
catalyst686

Postby Randygmn on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:13 am

catalyst686 wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Got a call from them today. Talked sensibly. Was hot under the collar when I emailed them but he understood. Was told they backed off a bit on the 2 hex screws due to customers complaining. Said I was the 1st to report this issue. Got the hand guard off, lined up gas block, after using blue locktight, tightened both screws. Will be getting an adjustable one when I can afford a suppressor. 1st time doing something like this. Easy. May build one from ground up next time. The company was Sota Arms out of north branch. 10 inch complete upper in 300 BO for $250 bucks. Guess will see how it goes on the next range trip. thanks again guys.

They "backed off on the set screws" because customers complaining about what? There gas blocks not coming loose often enough? That doesn't make sense.

Advanced Armament Corp (AAC) used to use Rocksette when installing their muzzle brakes. They heard **** from customers for years over that. I can’t begin to tell you how difficult it was to remove it. I heard horror stories of warped barrels and damaged uppers from guys trying to remove them. I suspect Sota arms had a similar problem if they were using that on their gas blocks. That stuff is difficult to remove. And on a 300blk, I bet lots of guys want to change out the gas block. It’s the only thing I can think of to explain it.
Randygmn

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 am

catalyst686 wrote:

Customers complained about getting it off due to to tight when they removed it to replace with an adjustable gas block. They were stripping the hex. No way would I use rockset. For a muzzle brake yes but that stuff is a bitch to break loose.
Bearcatrp

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 am

What I have seen from SoTA Arms their quality is terrible so I avoid them.
grimbeaver

Postby Ghost on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 am

Bearcatrp wrote: No way would I use rockset. For a muzzle brake yes but that stuff is a bitch to break loose.

Rocksett has a relatively low torque holding capability but it withstands high temps. It should not be that difficult to remove.

I've personally unscrewed a muzzle brake by hand once while trying to remove a stuck suppressor, after a shooting session, the brake was held on with red loctite.

I've read of people in classes (high round counts) having loctite melt out of gas blocks and then they loosen.
Ghost

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 am

I wuldn't bother with an adjustable GB for 300BO. You could try an Gemtec BCG with the switch. But even these are not needed for 300BO. It will be a little over gassed with super sonic loads but not much. I like the Gemtec BCG for 223. That gets pretty gassy without it.

Also you get what you pay for with uppers. The cheap companies are cheap for a reason. They would charge more if they could but the quality does not justify a higher price.
Sigfan220

Return to Long Guns