Interested in NRA/CMP Matches

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Interested in NRA/CMP Matches

Postby Lights on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 pm

I have been interested in getting into some kind of shooting matches with my AR. I do not wish to shoot in the service rifle category. I love to shoot my varmint/hunting style AR's. I have read that there is an optic class now and a MRP/Tatical category . Does anyone know if there are any of these matches held locally? If so please advise me on how to get info on them. I would really like to participate in these matches.

Thank you,
Mark
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Re: Interested in NRA/CMP Matches

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Mark,

Both NRA and CMP now allow optics on rifles for matches. CMP allows up to 4.5 power and NRA is unlimited. There are also F-Class matches and leagues locally. The MN Rifle & Revolver Asso. is the place to find information on these kind of matches. http://www.mrra.org/

If your interested in more tactical matches, North Star Rifle Club has a match coming up in December. I don't have a match program, but here's a link to the one from last August. https://docs.google.com/document/d/18ZhP4_XZhZHZH8d9d_kv50NLDOQc-dKIF-os9r7FqyI/edit
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lights on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks Rip I will check out the December match. I'm also interested in MRP. Don't think F class is my thing but I could be wrong.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby Erud on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Lights,
The NRA Mid Range AR Tactical class is shot concurrently with regular Mid Range prone (sling & f-class) matches, and is sort of a hybrid of traditional sling and f-class. Shooters use an AR-platform rifle with a harris type bipod, (not the fancier dedicated f-class types), and scope power is limited to 12x, I believe. Since equipment is limited, they shoot on the sling target, as opposed to the smaller f-class target. It’s a new class that was just created last year so participation is still small, but people are starting to shoot it. It’s a good way to get some exposure to NRA shooting, which I think is great. There are quite a few Mid Range matches within easy driving distance of the TC metro from April to October.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Erik
Erud

Postby Lights on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

That makes sense to me now Erik. Thank you very much.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby xd ED on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:00 am

I found this article on New Mid-Range Prone Discipline for AR Shooters - Accurate Shooter.com.

Seems like a good way to get more shooters onto the completion ranges with currently owned equipment, presenting an interesting alternative to the F Class equipment race, while still allowing glass.
The NRA and the various clubs/ ranges would do well to better publicize, and promote this discipline.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:30 pm

xd ED wrote:I found this article on New Mid-Range Prone Discipline for AR Shooters - Accurate Shooter.com.

Seems like a good way to get more shooters onto the completion ranges with currently owned equipment, presenting an interesting alternative to the F Class equipment race, while still allowing glass.
The NRA and the various clubs/ ranges would do well to better publicize, and promote this discipline.

Not that I feel the need to take on anymore responsibilities, but if someone can point me towards an untapped pool of interested shooters who this type of match might appeal to, I might be talked into putting some kind of match together.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Erud on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
xd ED wrote:I found this article on New Mid-Range Prone Discipline for AR Shooters - Accurate Shooter.com.

Not that I feel the need to take on anymore responsibilities, but if someone can point me towards an untapped pool of interested shooters who this type of match might appeal to, I might be talked into putting some kind of match together.

Mark,
There is no need for new matches, this class can already shoot in regular MRP matches. They shoot on the sling target, but use a bipod and scope up to 12x. Randy the Bearded One was putting together a dedicated rifle to shoot in the AR Tactical class last time I saw him.
Erud

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Erud wrote:Mark,
There is no need for new matches, this class can already shoot in regular MRP matches. They shoot on the sling target, but use a bipod and scope up to 12x. Randy the Bearded One was putting together a dedicated rifle to shoot in the AR Tactical class last time I saw him.

Experience has taught me that new shooters won't show up to a match where they think they might embarrass themselves. I was thinking more on the line of a club entry/clinic style match.

And the next time you see the Uncle Si look alike, call him Ocho no bueno. Tell him I said so. :goofydance:
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Erud on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Erud wrote:Mark,

Experience has taught me that new shooters won't show up to a match where they think they might embarrass themselves. I was thinking more on the line of a club entry/clinic style match.

And the next time you see the Uncle Si look alike, call him Ocho no bueno. Tell him I said so. :goofydance:

Yeah, I suppose a clinic wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm used to embarrassing myself everywhere I go, so that part was never a problem for me. This seems to be picking up a little steam at Eau Claire, there have been people shooting AR Tactical class the last few times I've been over there.
Erud

Postby xd ED on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 pm

I think a clinic would be a great idea.
Some people are intimidated/ worried about being initially too ignorant, and getting embarrassed.

A thought I had that would be pretty simple and easy-

Let people know it's out there-
On match announcements/ registration forms, add a paragraph explaining a bit about the new discipline, and along with the boxes to check for the various sling, and F Class categories, have a box to check to enter the AR match.

At first, you might get shooters migrating from the other disciplines, and not necessarily increasing overall turnout, but I think word would spread... maybe attract some of the PRS/ tactical dudes, or just some of the millions of AR shooters who want to stretch it out a bit.
I suspect there are those, (like myself) who think they might not survive a July weekend in a shooting jacket, and those not wanting to invest in a full-blown F Class rig that resembles way to much a bench rest set up.
Plus, there's those humongous X-rings you guys shoot at....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Lights on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Guys this category would take off with some of the thousands of AR guys that do not want to shoot the service rifle or F class. I have been looking for this category to shoot in for 5 years. Most people I talk to including myself up until just the other day, do not know it even exist. I will definitely be at some matches next spring.

Rip I think if we could get the word out. It would be great to put on a beginners clinic so people don't feel so embarrassed/intimidated at there first match. Maybe post a flyer at the local r a ranges. Good way to introduce some of the AR nuts like myself to the matches. All that is really needed to participate is your AR a mat, mags and ammo.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 am

^^^^^^^^^^^this, my two largest barriers ar time and intimidation. I definitely see value in a more practical application of the competition. Developing skills that will help with hunting. The shorter distances maybe means the matches could be spread out instead of the limited number of 1000 yard ranges. Ideally a sportsman's oriented shooting event: trap,skeet, sporting clays and some medium range rifle work.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am

^^^^^^^^^^^this, my two largest barriers ar time and intimidation. I definitely see value in a more practical application of the competition. Developing skills that will help with hunting. The shorter distances maybe means the matches could be spread out instead of the limited number of 1000 yard ranges. Ideally a sportsman's oriented shooting event: trap,skeet, sporting clays and some medium range rifle work.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 am

yukonjasper wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^this, my two largest barriers ar time and intimidation. I definitely see value in a more practical application of the competition. Developing skills that will help with hunting. The shorter distances maybe means the matches could be spread out instead of the limited number of 1000 yard ranges. Ideally a sportsman's oriented shooting event: trap,skeet, sporting clays and some medium range rifle work.

"...this, my two largest barriers ar time and intimidation.."

I can't help you with time management, but as to embarrassment, and intimidation...

If you show up willing to learn, and are safe, you will be welcome, and find no end to the assistance you'll encounter.
In this area of the country, there are several national class, and world class shooters of many disciplines. You'll find them, as their time allows, to be some of your greatest resources, and downright nice guys.
The guys in this thread are no exception.

Last year, at one of the first matches I attended, the guy scoring for me suggested I take a short break, while he pointed out a few things about wind, and a few basic procedures...I'd never met the guy before, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about...
...this year he smoked the completion at the national championships.

Don't let concerns about the nonexistent keep you from showing up, and once you show up you've already won something...Any day at the range is almost always better than a day spent somewhere else...especially if yard work is involved. ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs