Complete Grendel Uppers

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Complete Grendel Uppers

Postby goosed on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 pm

CBC makes a grendel upper as well. I have the 18" barrel with hera handguard.

Quality and attention to detail is darn good for the price, imo, but you could always stop by sportsmen guide and take a look for yourself as they usually have at least one CBC upper on display.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
goosed

Re: Complete Grendel Uppers

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Well, might as well jump in with my usual timeless wisdom every time somebody starts up a 6.5 Grendel thread, and mention that I prefer the 6.5 Hansel instead of the Grendel..... :lol: :lol: :lol: [trombones] WAH! WAH! WAH! [/trombones]
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ghost on Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Since it was mentioned here. LaRue SUURG .224 Valkyrie or Grendel or 300BO or 5.56 uppers (includes suppressor) for 20% off until the 7th. (It's a pinned and welded muzzle brake on an 11.5" barrel rifle that doesn't require an SBR stamp)

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-suurg-kit/
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Ghost

Postby Ghost on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 am

Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Ghost wrote:Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel
https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26922.html

Interesting choice since they already offer it in 6.5 Creedmoor.
grimbeaver

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Ghost wrote:Aero Precision has some uppers
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Grendel

So I'm ready to order and notice there is no BCG - so much for Complete Upper - wouldn't a "complete" upper include the Bolt?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

yukonjasper wrote:

So I'm ready to order and notice there is no BCG - so much for Complete Upper - wouldn't a "complete" upper include the Bolt?

No
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

yukonjasper wrote:

For a bolt join the 6.5Grendel forum, BluntForceTrauma runs the buys and he's down in Cannon Falls.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15820-OPEN-65G-Monster-Bolt-2018A

Then pick up a Toolcraft BCG
http://www.monmouthreloading.com/shop/ar15-toolcraft-black-nitride-bcg/

Or buy that LaRue UU ;)
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the information and the suggestions. Maybe that Lower will have to remain lonely in the safe.

I guess there isn't really a way to get a "complete - take it out of the box and pin it to your lower and go shooting" set up without paying for the LaRue to put it together - which is more than I want to pay. A bit frustrating, but I don't have the time or the interest to be a gun builder - I can barely find time to shoot without having to bung up roll pins and wonder if something will go BOOM because I just don't know what I'm doing.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the information and the suggestions. Maybe that Lower will have to remain lonely in the safe.

I guess there isn't really a way to get a "complete - take it out of the box and pin it to your lower and go shooting" set up without paying for the LaRue to put it together - which is more than I want to pay. A bit frustrating, but I don't have the time or the interest to be a gun builder - I can barely find time to shoot without having to bung up roll pins and wonder if something will go BOOM because I just don't know what I'm doing.

What are you talking about???? If you want it assembled order the Aero and then buy a BCG. There is no gun building required. It is a simple as placing a mag in the gun. If you do not know how to put in and out the BCG then how do you clean your ARs?
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm

so your saying the BCG drops in without any headspacing or any other adjustments, pinning or anything?

As for Cleaning an AR - I own one - I've put maybe 200 rounds through it since I've owned it, I've wiped it down and swabbed the barrel that it. - like I said I hardly have time to shoot them so not enough time to get enough rounds for a assemble/disassemble.

Rip away if you wish, never claimed to be an AR wiz.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm

yukonjasper wrote:so your saying the BCG drops in without any headspacing or any other adjustments, pinning or anything?

As for Cleaning an AR - I own one - I've put maybe 200 rounds through it since I've owned it, I've wiped it down and swabbed the barrel that it. - like I said I hardly have time to shoot them so not enough time to get enough rounds for a assemble/disassemble.

Rip away if you wish, never claimed to be an AR wiz.

Item 1) Yes, the BCG just drops in period. No pinning, adjustments period.

Item 2) Head spacing. If both parts are built to spec this is not an issue. If you are concerned you can have this checked easily enough. Some barrel builders used to allow you to send them your bolt to ensure head spacing. Now the ones I order from no longer even do that. With a quality BCG and something like and Aero P upper, I would not be concerned.

Item 3) You have not cleaned your AR if you have not removed the BCG. Seriously, do not mean to be a jerk here and I do tend to come of that way many times but this time I am serious. Your manual should have showed you how to field strip it for cleaning. First remove the mag and make sure it is unloaded, 2nd make sure the bolt catch is released so the bolt is in the receiver not in the buffer tube, if it is in the tube you will not get it open. 3nd there is a pin at the rear of the receiver that you push in (called the rear take down pin), some use a cartridge for this I use my pinky, that allows you to open the receiver. Now the BCG and the charging handle can be easily removed. Now you can clean from the proper end of the barrel, can clean the lugs on the barrel extension, can clean the bolt. At times the BCG should be stripped and cleaned as well and that is very easy too. The front pin (called the pivot pin) can also be removed. This is how you separate they upper from the lower.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm

I appreciate your patience and the benefit of your description. I didn't purchase the Bushmaster new - in fact when I attempted to change out the trigger (another task I was told was super easy) I found some sort of non-standard trigger in place with small set screws etc. So my track record hasn't been good as I've explored the world of AR tinkering.

My goal in securing the "complete" was to have it fool proof. I will move forward and assume that even I can't mess some of this stuff up.

Thanks again.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the information and the suggestions. Maybe that Lower will have to remain lonely in the safe.

It's really not hard to put together a LaRue upper. He gives you all the special tools, all you'd need is a cheap torque wrench and a way to hold it. I believe I saw a video where somebody assembled it on the floor with their knee on a phonebook. Even the gas block detents are already there so it's just tighten the screws down. The only difficult part would be the muzzle device but you still have the wrench included if you use the tranquilo brake.

Here's a thread with several assembly videos for the UU.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Ultimate-Upper-How-To-Videos-who-gets-the-Oscar-/219-285045/
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns