Keeping Firearm in RV?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Keeping Firearm in RV?

Postby FJ540 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Seems like a situation where you'd want a well built and very subtle safe (maybe back wall of a closet?).

I haven't been in too many RV's that'd take much doing to un-do to gain some nice guns were I the type to abscond with them.
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:03 am

ttousi wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:
ttousi wrote:in no particular order
* an RV unhitched is not a motor vehicle by MN definition (no motor). therefore a structure
* wife alone in RV with no permit firearm needs to be unloaded and cased
* .04 BAC while carrying ...conviction means loss of permit for 6 months.....2nd offense or greater than .1 conviction is loss of permit for year

Keeping in mind that as your "home" number 2 still requires either permission or reason to enter by police etc. Covers most state laws BTW.

true......depends on usage at the time

I thought this also applied to a motor vehicle in MN? They need permission, or a warrant, or reasonable cause correct?
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:08 pm

* an RV unhitched is not a motor vehicle by MN definition (no motor). therefore a structure
* .04 BAC while carrying ...conviction means loss of permit for 6 months.....2nd offense or greater than .1 conviction is loss of permit for year

Would she need a permit inside your "home" or would she be allowed to defend without a permit as in your actual home?
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby ttousi on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:03 pm

LarryFlew wrote:

Would she need a permit inside your "home" or would she be allowed to defend without a permit as in your actual home?

no permit needed inside home.....ie structure
gray area is use of RV motorized or not ? and what is actual usage at time of incident as determined by ?
RV parked in driveway ...probably not a place of abode,
motorized RV driving is just a motor vehicle.....
parked in a RV campgrounds ..place of abode? gonna depend on local/state law would be my guess ..definition of "home"

IANAL and YMMV
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

That's what I was thinking also. Obviously there are different state laws etc that may make a difference but guessing in most cases disconnected trailer or 5th wheel and totally hooked up motor home would be considered a home.
LarryFlew

Postby Ghost on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 pm

LarryFlew wrote:That's what I was thinking also. Obviously there are different state laws etc that may make a difference but guessing in most cases disconnected trailer or 5th wheel and totally hooked up motor home would be considered a home.

Right or wrong, my grandparents kept a loaded pistol in their motorhome from about 1980 until 2000 traveling to Texas for the winter and back each year. They believed it was worth it if needed.
Ghost

Postby sprigfan on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 am

LarryFlew wrote:Not so much a real legal issue but we have stayed at MANY parks and have yet to see one that does not have some kind of firearms statement. Most say no firearms allowed and a few say firearms must be cased etc. Note the size of a "few" as that means 2 so far.

falls under the same stuff as concealed is concealed as far as I am concerned. Yes the extras in my RV are cased etc but the carry is available no matter what the park rules are. If needed for defense I can deal with the park rules after the problem is taken care of.
I agree with concealed is concealed, but my next question would be, do campground owners even have the legal right to ban firearms that are kept inside the RV? Are the campers considered tenants?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:59 pm

I think that ends up being a by state question just like banned sign having power or not. MN is a slap on the wrist where another state it might be a petty misdemeaner.
LarryFlew

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 pm

sprigfan wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Not so much a real legal issue but we have stayed at MANY parks and have yet to see one that does not have some kind of firearms statement. Most say no firearms allowed and a few say firearms must be cased etc. Note the size of a "few" as that means 2 so far.

falls under the same stuff as concealed is concealed as far as I am concerned. Yes the extras in my RV are cased etc but the carry is available no matter what the park rules are. If needed for defense I can deal with the park rules after the problem is taken care of.
I agree with concealed is concealed, but my next question would be, do campground owners even have the legal right to ban firearms that are kept inside the RV? Are the campers considered tenants?

In MN does it matter?

One can't ban them from their parking lot. Is that not really what a camping spot for an RV is?
Holland&Holland

Postby wasfuzz on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 pm

[/quote]I agree with concealed is concealed, but my next question would be, do campground owners even have the legal right to ban firearms that are kept inside the RV? Are the campers considered tenants?[/quote]
They (campground) are your landlord even if only for 1 night - they can not ban you from the grounds, but the could post their office and ban you from entering that. At least here in MN.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:51 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
I agree with concealed is concealed, but my next question would be, do campground owners even have the legal right to ban firearms that are kept inside the RV? Are the campers considered tenants?[/quote]
They (campground) are your landlord even if only for 1 night - they can not ban you from the grounds, but the could post their office and ban you from entering that. At least here in MN.[/quote]

Are they, for certain? My understanding is that if you are a guest in a hotel, the hotel owner is not considered a landlord but rather an inn keeper and has different rules to follow.
Holland&Holland

Keeping Firearm in RV?

Postby PhilaBOR on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

As posted above, laws will vary by state. My fiancée and I both have permits and carry wherever we can. We have MN and FL permits. We mostly visit states between Minnesota and Arizona which except Colorado have reciprocity. A person has to decide if protecting yourself and your loved ones is worth stretching the law a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm

PhilaBOR wrote:As posted above, laws will vary by state. My fiancée and I both have permits and carry wherever we can. We have MN and FL permits. We mostly visit states between Minnesota and Arizona which except Colorado have reciprocity. A person has to decide if protecting yourself and your loved ones is worth stretching the law a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same permits and same trip here and easy to go around Colorado
:mrgreen:
LarryFlew

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat