Laser Bore Sight - LaserLyte?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Laser Bore Sight - LaserLyte?

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 pm

It appears through my research that LaserLyte seems to have the most recommended Laser Bore Site. I have a scope mounted and wanted to get it tightened down and bore sighted and can't seem to find the Cabela's rig I bought a few years back on sale. It worked OK the few times I used it, but wondering if I should be looking at a LaserLyte since there appears to be significant support for it. I did like that the Cabelas kit had a scope level included in the carry kit, which LaserLyte charges extra for a case, level etc.

Cabelas or LaserLyte or ?????
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Laser Bore Sight - LaserLyte?

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:25 pm

None of the above.

Sandbag it - look thru the bore - adjust scope to same target.

Take to range where you can see where you hit, like a dry berm, and use the "1-shot sight in method".

Fire two or three to verify your scope settings
OldmanFCSA

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm having trouble picturing what you mean. Are you saying to pull the BCG and Charging handle out of the upper, then mount it - Dial the scope in as close as you can, break it down and re-assemble the upper and then fire your shot? I've got a lead sled to help hold the rifle.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I'm having trouble picturing what you mean. Are you saying to pull the BCG and Charging handle out of the upper, then mount it - Dial the scope in as close as you can, break it down and re-assemble the upper and then fire your shot? I've got a lead sled to help hold the rifle.

For an AR you’d pull the bcg and remove the lower which will let you sight down the bore.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Or just start at the 25 yard range and decent sized target.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Let's just say, for the moment, that I wanted to buy a laser bore sight, anyone have one that they like and would recommend?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 am

Don’t buy a laser bore sight, they are all Chinese-made junk. None of them are ever straight, and you can do the job better without one. Do what Oldman recommends. Put your upper (with lower and BCG removed) on a solid rest(sandbags, or whatever you have) and get behind it so you can look down the bore. Center your target in the middle of the bore(back up a little ways so you can see the inside of the bore as you are looking, not just the target). After you have thatperfectly lined Up, look through the scope and without moving anything, adjust it until the reticle is also centered on the same target as the bore. Put the lower back on and fire a shot at the target, then adjust scope to center.

All you are trying to do is get your first shot to hit somewhere on the paper so you can dial it in. Do it a bunch of times and you can get pretty darned good at it. I’ve bore sighted a fair number of rifles at 300 meters and it has worked every time. At 50 or 100 yards, it’s easy even for someone who’s never done it before. This works way better than a laser bore sight.

Good luck.
Erud

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:34 am

I bought a cheep cartridge style laser bore sight because my OCD won't allow me to insert anything into the muzzle of my firearms.

It's good enough to get me within about 3moa.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I bought a cheep cartridge style laser bore sight because my OCD won't allow me to insert anything into the muzzle of my firearms.

My naked eye can get you closer than that, and save you money. Unfortunately, it might put a Malaysian 7-year old out of work in the process... :cry:

Ask Tim T about the time I bore sighted his Palma rifle to about 6” off the letter X at 300m up at MRC!
Last edited by Erud on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 am

7yo Malaysians gotta eat too. :lol:

Besides, I can bore site in my basement, than sling up at the range and just shoot. ;)
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 am

Erud wrote:Don’t buy a laser bore sight, they are all Chinese-made junk. None of them are ever straight, and you can do the job better without one. Do what Oldman recommends. Put your upper (with lower and BCG removed) on a solid rest(sandbags, or whatever you have) and get behind it so you can look down the bore. Center your target in the middle of the bore(back up a little ways so you can see the inside of the bore as you are looking, not just the target). After you have thatperfectly lined Up, look through the scope and without moving anything, adjust it until the reticle is also centered on the same target as the bore. Put the lower back on and fire a shot at the target, then adjust scope to center.

All you are trying to do is get your first shot to hit somewhere on the paper so you can dial it in. Do it a bunch of times and you can get pretty darned good at it. I’ve bore sighted a fair number of rifles at 300 meters and it has worked every time. At 50 or 100 yards, it’s easy even for someone who’s never done it before. This works way better than a laser bore sight.

Good luck.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My one finger typing requires shorter typing periods as I'm working it down to the bone.
OldmanFCSA

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I bought a cheep cartridge style laser bore sight because my OCD won't allow me to insert anything into the muzzle of my firearms.

I bought one of those and keep in with my chrony.
about $10 on ebay; it makes centering the shot in the within the screens much quicker; it's cheap insurance.
I don't know how accurate it is at distance, but serves its purpose.
Plus, now I'm getting a warm and fuzzy about helping out 7 Y Os
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 am

I understand the sentiment of wanting to help the children, but with child unemployment rates at all-time highs right here in the USA, maybe you guys should focus on getting jobs for our own kids. My grandson is almost 4, and he has so far not been able to find any sort of employment at all. Keep buying Chinese crap and that will never change. Sad.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 am

Erud wrote:I understand the sentiment of wanting to help the children, but with child unemployment rates at all-time highs right here in the USA, maybe you guys should focus on getting jobs for our own kids. My grandson is almost 4, and he has so far not been able to find any sort of employment at all. Keep buying Chinese crap and that will never change. Sad.

I have been thinking of starting a coal mine but so many people claim there is no coal in MN :(
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 am

I guess I will try to rig up a sandbag pile somewhere and try to do it old school. 7 year Olds be damned, let them get jobs in sandbag factories.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Accessories