I'm discouraged...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: I'm discouraged...

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Interesting paragraph from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

While it may be simplistic to assume a straightforward "profile", the study did find certain similarities among the perpetrators. "The researchers found that killers do not 'snap'. They plan. They acquire weapons. These children take a long, considered, public path toward violence."[5] Often times, shooters are inspired by past shootings as motivation for the method of executing these attacks from the guns to purchase down to the what to wear during the attack. [6]Princeton's Katherine Newman has found that, far from being "loners", the perpetrators are "joiners" whose attempts at social integration fail, and that they let their thinking and even their plans be known, sometimes frequently over long periods of time. In addition, psychologist Peter Langman has noted that school shooters typically fall into one (or occasionally two) of three categories: psychopathic, psychotic, or traumatized.

Rush was discussing that immediately after the incident the media was claiming that the shooter was bullied. He was asking who was bullying him and why aren't they still talking about it.
Ghost

I'm discouraged...

Postby LumberZach on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

I am feeling discouraged about our chances right now as well. I have yet to join mn gun owners caucus though. It’s been on my todo list, but I’ll donate today. Anyone else I should donate too? Already a goa member. (Unfortunately I’m also an NRA life member)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:You guys are going to make me watch the whole damn thing aren't you.

It really is not worth it, but yea... sorry

Watched it. Thoughts-

CNN is in the money making business, tragedies sell a lot of eyeballs. That said I thought the moderator did a pretty fair job.

The older Democrat acted like he was at a a pep rally until he was challenged on the Obama admins failure to act, at which point he switched to campaign mode. Dude looked betrayed by the moderato'rs question.

I thought Rubio, did a good job of maintaining composure...I also feel like he caved, and knows some of the things he agreed to look at will not prevent the next one.

The Sheriff is terrifying. Did not seem interested in entertaining his/the departments potential responsibility in the event. He apparently is the only one qualified to deem if, or if not they messed up, and also he needs more power. Oh, let's not forget this was really only the individual shooter's fault, so lets collectively limit the rights of all gun owners. Would have been interesting to know how it went for him in light of recent reports on onsite inaction.

I have some issue with some of the messages Dana has put out in the past, and I know some people accuse her of being cold and uncaring, but I think she did a pretty good job.

It was mentioned more than once that they need to ban just plain old semi-automatics. They just dumped in a lot of Fudds with their 10-22's, A5's, and 1187's.
Jack's My dog

I'm discouraged...

Postby dismal on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:55 am

LumberZach wrote:I am feeling discouraged about our chances right now as well. I have yet to join mn gun owners caucus though. It’s been on my todo list, but I’ll donate today. Anyone else I should donate too? Already a goa member. (Unfortunately I’m also an NRA life member)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SAF (Second Amendment Foundation) is also a great org to join.
dismal

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:13 pm

While the NRA may not do or be everything we think it is still the major factor in our movement. Belong to what you want but it's not unfortunate to belong to the NRA IMO.

Maybe military or national guard type presence in the schools? Hate that though but if that's what it takes.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Good read here

Assault Weapons Preserve the Purpose of the Second Amendment
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/02/assault-weapons-preserve-the-purpose-of-the-second-amendment/
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm

LarryFlew wrote:While the NRA may not do or be everything we think it is still the major factor in our movement. Belong to what you want but it's not unfortunate to belong to the NRA IMO.

Maybe military or national guard type presence in the schools? Hate that though but if that's what it takes.

Doesn't Israel have some experience with this?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm

LarryFlew wrote:While the NRA may not do or be everything we think it is still the major factor in our movement. Belong to what you want but it's not unfortunate to belong to the NRA IMO.

The NRA is THE factor in the movement. Every gun owner should be a member of the NRA before any other organization.
Ghost

Postby TooFewGuns on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Ghost wrote:

The NRA is THE factor in the movement. Every gun owner should be a member of the NRA before any other organization.

I cannot agree that the NRA is the factor. They have compromised time and time again. They sell fear, in the same way that the media does. Where are their scathing rebukes of Trump? The same place the were in the 80's, when they agreed to the Hughes Amendment. The same place they were in the 40's, when they help write the NFA. If you are fine with your rights being being diminished every time there is a tragedy under a Republican president, join the NRA. If you refuse to compromise anymore, join GOA and GOCRA and encourage others to do the same. This is an issue of civil rights. This is an issue of natural rights. This is an issue of Constitutional rights. If the NRA will not stand with me, I will not stand with them.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:11 am

So you are saying that GOA and GOCRA are more powerful and effective than THE NRA? :o :shock:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:47 am

There's lots of reasons to not like the NRA.

But.

They are the most effective lobbying group on capital hill, period. That's why the anti's hate them so vehemently. They strike fear in every anti politician.

Go ahead and join GOA, SAF and GOCRA, they're good organizations too, but combined they don't have one tenth the political clout the NRA has.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

yukonjasper wrote:So you are saying that GOA and GOCRA are more powerful and effective than THE NRA? :o :shock:

Or don't compromise?
Holland&Holland

Postby ex-LT on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 am

Jack's My dog wrote:It was mentioned more than once that they need to ban just plain old semi-automatics. They just dumped in a lot of Fudds with their 10-22's, A5's, and 1187's.

My guess, given the rarity in which they have been used in mass shootings, is that shotguns will be exempted from a semi-auto ban. However, that still leaves A LOT of Remington 740/742/4/7400/750s (plus a handful of BARs and some old Winchester Model 100s) that would be banned.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:19 am

ex-LT wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:It was mentioned more than once that they need to ban just plain old semi-automatics. They just dumped in a lot of Fudds with their 10-22's, A5's, and 1187's.

My guess, given the rarity in which they have been used in mass shootings, is that shotguns will be exempted from a semi-auto ban. However, that still leaves A LOT of Remington 740/742/4/7400/750s (plus a handful of BARs and some old Winchester Model 100s) that would be banned.

Columbine used shotguns are they the only ones?
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:02 pm

ex-LT wrote:

A man killed seven and wounded thirty-two with a break-action double-barreled shotgun- in 1915:

http://www.glynngen.com/history/bwkmassacre.htm
MANY WERE SAVED BY SMALL SHOT—Had All Shells Been Loaded With Buckshot Many Would Have Been Killed.

Oddly enough though, as far as I know there were no calls to ban shotguns or require a license to own one. I guess everyone was a "gun stroker" back then. :roll:

What stopped the rampage?
Mr. Butts, who had been struck by a shot from Phillips’ gun, rushed to a hardware store and, obtaining a pistol, began firing at the crazed timber dealer. A bullet from the lawyer’s pistol finally struck Phillips and he fell to the sidewalk, dying within a few minutes.
Lumpy

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat