The rally on the 24th and movement behind it

Firearms related political discussion forum

The rally on the 24th and movement behind it

Postby unfitmother on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 am

Not trying to be mysterious, just don't want to put the names in the title of the thread; I don't think the march on the 24th is going to change anything.

I still think the best approach to preserving freedom (fighting tyranny/authoritarianism, or whatever) is to play the long game and not get distracted by reactionary politics. But the Never Again movement is something novel, and I think a better understanding of it will help in the long term.

I found this article enlightening: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... -lawmakers

I feel like the left is gambling by funneling resources into a movement lead by a bunch of adolescents who are tech-savvy but not much else. i think there is a bit of an unethical element to it, and it could harm these kids in the long run. But so far the gamble is paying off for gun-control.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Re: The rally on the 24th and movement behind it

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am

I doubt radicalizing a group of idealistic youth with lack of knowledge in history or civics is something new.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I doubt radicalizing a group of idealistic youth with lack of knowledge in history or civics is something new.

Co-opting the term "Never Again" will certainly spotlight them as philistines.

One one hand, out of a concern for our collective futures, I begin to wonder how many kids actually buy into any of this,
but then, I recall as a youth, the McGovern rallies had better bands...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I doubt radicalizing a group of idealistic youth with lack of knowledge in history or civics is something new.

Co-opting the term "Never Again" will certainly spotlight them as philistines.

One one hand, out of a concern for our collective futures, I begin to wonder how many kids actually buy into any of this,
but then, I recall as a youth, the McGovern rallies had better bands...

Now we just have to keep them from eating tide pods and we will be good.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am

That does seem to present a dichotomy:

At once, there are those who propose legislation to keep this demographic from consuming laundry soap,
and simultaneously point to them as examples of wisdom and foresight.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am

xd ED wrote:That does seem to present a dichotomy:

At once, there are those who propose legislation to keep this demographic from consuming laundry soap,

Maybe they know something we don't?

heck I don't even buy tide pods. What ever happened to measuring it out with the little cup?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:That does seem to present a dichotomy:

Maybe they know something we don't?

heck I don't even buy tide pods. What ever happened to measuring it out with the little cup?

In one of my MBA classes we discussed how Tide noticed that when they came out with pods they sold less detergent because when people measured it out they usually exceeded the measurement instead of use less.
Ghost

Postby unfitmother on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 am

Remind me to not start threads in the morning when all the grownups are at work :doh:
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 am

unfitmother wrote:Remind me to not start threads in the morning when all the grownups are at work :doh:

Hey, just a quick reminder that you should not start threads in the morning. All the grown ups are at work. :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 am

It's really hard for me to gauge the sentiments of that generation toward guns. Here in Central MN, there are still a lot of kids that hunt and shoot. I suspect the numbers are far lower in the Metro area and even smaller in the nation as a whole. If the Millennials either oppose private ownership or don't care enough to fight for it (more likely), our efforts will definitely amount to a "short game". We can't fight for what they don't want after we're gone.
MJY65

Postby gbono23 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am

MJY65 wrote:It's really hard for me to gauge the sentiments of that generation toward guns. Here in Central MN, there are still a lot of kids that hunt and shoot. I suspect the numbers are far lower in the Metro area and even smaller in the nation as a whole. If the Millennials either oppose private ownership or don't care enough to fight for it (more likely), our efforts will definitely amount to a "short game". We can't fight for what they don't want after we're gone.

In some ways I do agree, alhough one of the most popular new sports being taken up by youth is Trap Shooting! Its now in the mainstream, and growing every year. When I was in Iowa, the state high school championship drew 1,000's of students. Its still considered more of a club sport, but they do have coaches and training times. Maybe its an anomaly, although I hope not!

I do believe that the numbers of students hunting has dropped off dramatically.
gbono23

Postby xd ED on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm

unfitmother wrote:Remind me to not start threads in the morning when all the grownups are at work :doh:

On the interwebs, it's always afternoon somewhere.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby westhope on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Along with protesting raising the age to buy long guns to 21, these same teens should also be protesting to raise the driving age to 21 since the number of deaths for "gun violence" and driving deaths are almost identical. (Although per the same study, 77% of the "gun violence" deaths are suicide so guns are not the cause, only the means used.)

(Along with it, probably should raise the age for sex to 21 too.) :roll:
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby unfitmother on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:37 pm

westhope wrote:Along with protesting raising the age to buy long guns to 21, these same teens should also be protesting to raise the driving age to 21 since the number of deaths for "gun violence" and driving deaths are almost identical. (Although per the same study, 77% of the "gun violence" deaths are suicide so guns are not the cause, only the means used.)

(Along with it, probably should raise the age for sex to 21 too.) :roll:

I read a study that claimed the male brain is not fully developed until age 25 so maybe push for that for males?
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Politics