Aero enhanced upper gas tube question

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Aero enhanced upper gas tube question

Postby TommyMN on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 am

Built my first upper with Aeros enhanced upper receiver and guard. When assembling the the gas tube and gas block there seems to be a good amount of room in where the tube can go back and forth before attached to the gas block. When not attached i can push the gas block an inch further down the upper tube. I know there some room but I’ve never seen this much. Am i missing something or is that amount of play standard? Its tight in every direction once in the block. Sorry for the newb question.
TommyMN

Re: Aero enhanced upper gas tube question

Postby Bessy on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Maybey I'm misunderstanding.

The gas tube should have two holes in it on the side that interfaces with gas block. One is for the gas port. The other is where it's pinned in place to the gas block. It should be a matter of lining up the gas tube pin hole with the hole un the gasblock, and pinning it in place with the provided roll pin. Then properly locating the gas block over the gas port hole in the barrel.

Once the tube is pinned in the barrel there should zero opportunity for it move round, or slide in and out. If you are concerned about the play before it is pinned in place.... I wouldn't worry unless there is a functional issue. You can look around the gas block when you test fire for leakage... but provided it cycles the rifle you are good to go.

Does this make sense? or am I missing something.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby TommyMN on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Bessy wrote:Maybey I'm misunderstanding.

The gas tube should have two holes in it on the side that interfaces with gas block. One is for the gas port. The other is where it's pinned in place to the gas block. It should be a matter of lining up the gas tube pin hole with the hole un the gasblock, and pinning it in place with the provided roll pin. Then properly locating the gas block over the gas port hole in the barrel.

Once the tube is pinned in the barrel there should zero opportunity for it move round, or slide in and out.

No you have it correct. Once pinned it’s tight in every direction. My question is with it unpinned should it be able to slide in another inch or more? Like i push the gas tube way in. Put the gas block on and then pull back to get in the gas block for a carbine length barrel system. Maybe I’m over think this. I have shot it yet since i have no close range or much time.
TommyMN

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:01 pm

TommyMN wrote:
Bessy wrote:Maybey I'm misunderstanding.

Once the tube is pinned in the barrel there should zero opportunity for it move round, or slide in and out.

No you have it correct. Once pinned it’s tight in every direction. My question is with it unpinned should it be able to slide in another inch or more? Like i push the gas tube way in. Put the gas block on and then pull back to get in the gas block for a carbine length barrel system. Maybe I’m over think this. I have shot it yet since i have no close range or much time.

I’m confused. The gas block gets located on the gas port of the barrel. The gas tube will be pinned in the gas block, as Bessy said. Nothing should move.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Ghost wrote:I’m confused. The gas block gets located on the gas port of the barrel. The gas tube will be pinned in the gas block, as Bessy said. Nothing should move.

He's talking about being able to slide the gas tube further into the upper through the barrel nut or whatever gas tube hole goes into it. There is apparently nothing that 'stops' the gas tube from going into the upper much further than where it would normally sit once pinned to the gas block.

I've only done one, so I'm no expert, but I think that as long as you've matched the gas tube size to the barrel's gas system length then the tube should end up in the right spot once pinned to the gas block. And prior to that it really doesn't matter if the tube can be pushed into the upper further or not.

Once pinned to the gas block the tube length protruding into the upper should match up to the gas 'receiver' on the bolt. Too long and the bolt won't close. Too short and it probably won't cycle right.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:21 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Ghost wrote:I’m confused. The gas block gets located on the gas port of the barrel. The gas tube will be pinned in the gas block, as Bessy said. Nothing should move.

He's talking about being able to slide the gas tube further into the upper through the barrel nut or whatever gas tube hole goes into it. There is apparently nothing that 'stops' the gas tube from going into the upper much further than where it would normally sit once pinned to the gas block.

I've only done one, so I'm no expert, but I think that as long as you've matched the gas tube size to the barrel's gas system length then the tube should end up in the right spot once pinned to the gas block. And prior to that it really doesn't matter if the tube can be pushed into the upper further or not.

Once pinned to the gas block the tube length protruding into the upper should match up to the gas 'receiver' on the bolt. Too long and the bolt won't close. Too short and it probably won't cycle right.

BB

Oh the upper. There’s nothing stopping it in the upper, could shove it all the way through if so desired.
Ghost

Postby TommyMN on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:16 am

Ok thanks all. Maybe this is just something I’ve never noticed before. Gotta decide optics for it and I’m ready to rock.
TommyMN

Return to Long Guns