10mm issue...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

10mm issue...

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am

I reload 10mm (among others). I have never bought any 10mm ammo.

I reloaded a batch of 100 with mixed headstamp brass. 180g XTP's, 7.5 g Unique at 1.25 OAL. I plunk tested a few rounds in my DW 10mm 1911 before heading to the range. Passed test. About 3 rounds into each mag I had a failure to feed and the failed rounds did NOT pass the plunk test. Assuming this was the reason the pistol would not go into battery, I ask why? Also a few rounds would hang up on the feed ramp so they never got tp chamber. Very frustrating.

I ran the 100 rounds through the dies in one sitting so shouldn't they all be the same dimensions? I know that some brass is thicker than others, but wouldn't the crimp die (separate step) even this out?

I had no trouble with these rounds in my G40, which didn't surprise me since i find that Glock bbls have "looser" dimensions.

I didn't notice any bullet setback visually. I didn't measure for it either however.

Any hints on what may be the issue?
Rodentman

10mm issue...

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 am

Loose shell plate?

Mixed brass can create crimp variations...
gun_fan111v2

Re: 10mm issue...

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 05, 2018 10:50 am

Loading on single stage press. Understand about mixed brass. Frankly I've never sorted by headstamp.
Rodentman

10mm issue...

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat May 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Glock bulge? :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 05, 2018 12:53 pm

IDK. I bought all Starline brass when I began loading 10mm but have now the inevitable assortment. I didn't think the bulge was common to that caliber and not from my gen 3 G20, G29, and the G40.

I am beginning to consider that factory ammo is (theoretically at least) consistent in dimension and that reloaded ammo has more variables and it takes extra effort to get rounds that will be reliable. I found that with 9mm the variables from gun to gun and round to round make reliable reloads a challenge. If you have 10 9mm guns you have 10 sets of dimensions.

I don't have these issues with revolver calibers.
Rodentman

10mm issue...

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat May 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Well, they do use all new uniform brass at the factory.

Take a look at http://casepro100.com/ if you want to ensure every single round is back to factory dimensions. If you trim the brass after this your results will probably surpass factory.

Never thought about revolvers much but suppose they have fully supported chambers.
gun_fan111v2

Postby crbutler on Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 pm

If you normally run it hotter, the base of the case will swell. If it’s in a glock, the “perfection” chamber is wide. This makes using small base or undersize dies needed with mixed brass through a glock if you want to use it in anything else.

The case pro works... but it’s a lot more money than getting a lee undersize die.

Note that using an undersize die will shorten case life, but if you are like me, you lose brass before that happens.
crbutler

Postby photogpat on Sat May 05, 2018 4:54 pm

10mm Case gauge - EGW makes an excellent one. Never had an issue with my 10’s using that.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

10mm issue...

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat May 05, 2018 5:42 pm

crbutler wrote:Note that using an undersize die will shorten case life, but if you are like me, you lose brass before that happens.

Do undersize dies take care of the bulge? I thought that was more for neck tension.

Bulge Buster looks like a cheaper alternative to Case Pro
gun_fan111v2

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 pm

I have the carbide Redding FRX die for 40 S&W so that would work for 10mm. I will check the trimming as well. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.
Rodentman

Postby usnret on Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 am

There should be no need to trim pistol cartridges.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Rodentman on Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I trim only the 460 and 500 pistol brass to ensure getting an even crimp. I think I trimmed a batch of 44 mag brass once but I don't do that routinely. I don't even have any trim tools for 10mm.
Rodentman

Postby Geezer43 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I've had several instances where a loaded pistol round would easily fit into the proper case gage,
but would not pass the "plunk test" in certain pistol barrels of the correct caliber, yet they would pass the "plunk test" in other barrels of the same caliber.
This was caused by the fact that, even though the OAL was within spec, the ogive of the bullet would hang up on the leade of the rifling.
If the bullet ogive is too close to the the tip of the bullet, it can be a tricky problem to detect.
I suspect that since your OAL is .01 from max OAL, that this might be the case.
The XTP bullet might have an ogive profile that would hang up on your rifling leade with an OAL of 1.25, thus causing this problem.

Don't know why a few of your rounds would hang up on the feed ramp however, unless it might be a mag timing issue.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 pm

If you weren't loading these to shoot grizzly bears at short range from horseback, I would help you.
Wait - wrong guy - I will read your entire topic before responding again.
OldmanFCSA

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Until you start getting consistent safe results, I would recommend sorting by headstamp, sorting by number of loadings (if known), measuring case lengths within each lot of sorted by headstamp, and verify no Glock Bulge on cases, no short chamber issue preventing proper seating of case against chamber wall, and proper OAL length.

Try seating a few test loadings about 0.050" shorter if your projectile allows it. Your current loaded cartridge may be too tight a fit in the magazine to permit a controlled jump to the chamber, and same applies to cartridge entering chamber being too long to properly align. (Here I am telling you how to load and shoot a 40 cal cartridge(10mm) when I can't hit the side of a barn with a 40S&W even standing inside the barn.)

I had a short chamber issue with a guy's XD in 45Auto. I had to seat deep because full depth rifling started at chamber mouth instead of further down barrel. Once we found this his cast lead projectiles were very accurate with minimal jump into rifling.

Wish I were closer to help you again, but I like it here out in the sticks as BigDog58 calls it..

Have FUN, be SAFE.

Tell us your findings.

You are welcome to use my 40S&W carbide push-thru die, although I would need to make a longer pusher shell holder (fits inside case to support web when pushed thru casehead first)
OldmanFCSA

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading