Oakdale Gun Club

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Oakdale Gun Club

Postby j130wood on Sat May 12, 2018 10:45 am

Looks like once again, we, the members, are left out in the cold. I have been wondering about signing up for range duty as I seem to do every year now. I saw in the latest newsletter that range duty is being scheduled manually. I contacted the only individual I thought might be able to help, Teresa (General Manager). She referred me to the Vice President. I emailed him, and the mail bounced back as undeliverable. What a system. I am thoroughly sick and tired of not being able to sign up for my mandatory "volunteer" duty. It's utterly ridiculous that every year we have to scratch and grab and wonder if we're going to get scheduled and once scheduled if the schedule will hold together. I can grasp that the internet system may not work, but why does it have to be a secret that there is another method? And if there is another method, why can't we contact the person responsible? Does anybody out there know anything about scheduling? If you do, can you let the rest of the club know? Thanks.
j130wood

Re: Oakdale Gun Club

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Good point. An on line system worked in the past; it's not a new requirement. Why have we gone backwards, and what does "manually" mean?
Rodentman

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 12, 2018 5:56 pm

To be fair, this is the 1st year that we have gone to this point in the year without having a system to sign up.

That said, I am equally as frustrated. It has become quite ridiculous. I would encourage you to go to the member meetings.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Sat May 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Last year the system was late in getting running as well. Then it had a few hiccups.

I believe a while ago we all got an email explaining what was happening and that we could email for sign up for June and July. Did you miss that one?

Being a relatively new member (2014) I am puzzled by the IT side of the club. Why does one system a guy has set up have to be thrown out and rebuilt? Seems like we have done that a couple of times even in my short time in the club.

Are we the first club that needs online volunteer signup?

Is there not a plug and play system for this?

The state is going through some troubles in the licensing department. There are 50 states. Why do we need something custom?
hard h2o

Postby j130wood on Sun May 13, 2018 7:02 am

To H&H, wish I could make it to the member meetings. My work schedule doesn't allow for it. To H20, yes, I got the email about June and July. I would like to sign up for later in the year. June or July doesn't work for me.
Scheduling or accounting for time served has always been an issue with this club. I have had more problems with either getting scheduled or getting credit for hours worked than should be expected.
I'm about ready to forget Oakdale and move on to somewhere else. It's a great place to shoot, but being a member is a complete pain in the you-know-where.
j130wood

Postby hard h2o on Sun May 13, 2018 12:24 pm

j130wood wrote:To H&H, wish I could make it to the member meetings. My work schedule doesn't allow for it. To H20, yes, I got the email about June and July. I would like to sign up for later in the year. June or July doesn't work for me.
Scheduling or accounting for time served has always been an issue with this club. I have had more problems with either getting scheduled or getting credit for hours worked than should be expected.
I'm about ready to forget Oakdale and move on to somewhere else. It's a great place to shoot, but being a member is a complete pain in the you-know-where.

I like to plan out my year well in advance so it is something I am also annoyed with. I like to watch and make sure I get the days that will work right when sign up opens up. I have 2 weekends that will work this year. I wish June or July would have worked for me. Then I would have jumped on it and would not be stressing about it.

That is not something that would get me to leave OGC however. I am 5 or 10 minutes away and the facilities are perfect for my shooting need so I will put up with the hassle.

I am hopeful that the new IT guy can get it straightened out. Seems to me it should not be something that should need an overhaul every year. How did they have it fixed last year just to have it go to crap this year?
hard h2o

Postby atomic41 on Sun May 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Slightly off topic, I need to put in an application for membership. Can someone tell me when the best time is? Is there an open enrollment date? Anything else you recommend to help the process? (I recall reading something about waiting until June to apply)
Thanks in advance.
atomic41

Postby hard h2o on Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 pm

atomic41 wrote:Slightly off topic, I need to put in an application for membership. Can someone tell me when the best time is? Is there an open enrollment date? Anything else you recommend to help the process? (I recall reading something about waiting until June to apply)
Thanks in advance.

We just finished with our new member inductions. Now is a good time. It is never a bad time.

Nothing to really help it along. You get on the list. They open the membership in March I believe and take the number we are allowing in off the top of the list. If you make it you get an email invitation. They will let you know the dates of the orientations. You show up, pay your money (one time initial fee and first years membership dues), show proof of NRA membership, go through the orientation and you are in. You do 18 hours of volunteer hours per year as well as pay your dues on time.

I think there was talk of allowing membership in other pro 2A groups in lieu of an NRA membership but I do not think that went through.

If you decline the invitation you can drop off or go to the end of the waiting list again.
hard h2o

Postby xd ED on Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 pm

atomic41 wrote:Slightly off topic, I need to put in an application for membership. Can someone tell me when the best time is? Is there an open enrollment date? Anything else you recommend to help the process? (I recall reading something about waiting until June to apply)
Thanks in advance.

You just missed it for this year.
the next opportunity to join will be early 2019.
If you put your name on the wait list now, you have about 100% chance of getting in next year, as this year they had more openings than names on the waiting list.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 pm

xd ED wrote:
Thanks in advance.

You just missed it for this year.
If you put your name on the wait list now, you have about 100% chance of getting in next year, as this year they had more openings than names on the waiting list.

Are we sure of that or was the IT director just unable to log into the website?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sun May 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:You just missed it for this year.

Heard it directly from the G M

I didn't realize the IT issues in existence. I haven't done range duty for a number years, but it was sometimes tough, even when things worked right, to coordinate with my work and personal schedule.

Good Luck
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 am

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:You just missed it for this year.

Heard it directly from the G M

I didn't realize the IT issues in existence. I haven't done range duty for a number years, but it was sometimes tough, even when things worked right, to coordinate with my work and personal schedule.

Good Luck

We have had our challenges with it in the past but this is the worst I have seen it.
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am

I don't have time for tracking people down to register for Range Duty. They need to get that fixed, and pronto. I'm going to be unhappy if I get fall sight-in weekdays again.

I need options that have longer distances these days anyways, might be time to switch.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby xd ED on Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 am

photogpat wrote:I don't have time for tracking people down to register for Range Duty. They need to get that fixed, and pronto. I'm going to be unhappy if I get fall sight-in weekdays again.

I need options that have longer distances these days anyways, might be time to switch.

Have you considered other options for service hours?
Range duty has its rewards, but is usually physical hard on me; standing that long on concrete, and some of the shooters on a fall weekend can be a bit much...

I have done various things in the past:
Work day/ spring cleanup - not likely to do again- was mostly mundane sorting metal out of the burn pile, picking up trash, cleaning garage - the only upside was spending several hours with 3 junk bicycles from the garage and making one good one

building new pistol targets- a never ending task; if one has the know how, a good gig

FAS instructor classes- far more time consuming than the required 18 hours, but the reward trumps everything

Set up/ taking down the Fair booth - not real physical- good gig if it's not raining/ good crew

working the fair booth- this has changed dramatically- requires training session for up front PR work,(can be interesting)
Air gun range is now a video game (not for me)

But in general,I agree; I spend less, and less time there, myself...

ETA:

Talk to the GM about tasks needing completion for possible service hours.

However I'm guessing given the smaller number of newbs this year, and the apparent Range Duty sign up FUBAR, there will be a push to get people doing RO duty.
Last edited by xd ED on Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 14, 2018 10:27 am

I enjoy my annual range duty. Contributes to our bottom line. And am physically able to do so.

Just want to be able to get it scheduled.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs