Oakdale Gun Club - Thoughts?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby JLieu on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am

For previous and existing members of OGC, how is this club? How does the work hours requirement work? I remember someone mentioning that there are usually range officers on duty.

I've been a part of DCGC and Pine Island, both are great.

DCGC could definitely use some renovation/capital investment but it's the closest. 8 work hours, but flexible scheduling. Aside from the rifle range, everything is usually open/free. Some of the older members can be grouchy at times, but they mean well. You, and every other member, are the range officer(s).

Everyone at Pine Island has been stellar and friendly. Plenty of stations, nice club house, but a bit of a drive. No work hours requirement. Similar to DCGC, no designated range officer, other than everyone is essentially one and encouraged to practice safe shooting etiquette.
JLieu

Postby INOR on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am

Not a member yet of OGC but I do enjoy shooting there and have been considering joining. Becoming a member of Dakota county gun club is an impossibility as their list is next to impossible to get on.

JLieu wrote:Some of the older members can be grouchy at times, but they mean well.

Ha. This made me laugh. Sad truth is that this is a common issue at pretty much every gun range I’ve visited. The old codgers scare away new blood. Someday we’ll be those old codgers. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Oakdale Gun Club - Thoughts?

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:10 am

JLieu wrote:For previous and existing members of OGC, how is this club? How does the work hours requirement work? I remember someone mentioning that there are usually range officers on duty.

I've been a part of DCGC and Pine Island, both are great.

DCGC could definitely use some renovation/capital investment but it's the closest. 8 work hours, but flexible scheduling. Aside from the rifle range, everything is usually open/free. Some of the older members can be grouchy at times, but they mean well. You, and every other member, are the range officer(s).

Everyone at Pine Island has been stellar and friendly. Plenty of stations, nice club house, but a bit of a drive. No work hours requirement. Similar to DCGC, no designated range officer, other than everyone is essentially one and encouraged to practice safe shooting etiquette.

I've been a member 6 years. For me, it's a close, convenient 10 min drive from home.
Work hours are 18 hrs/ year. First year(maybe 2?) range duty-typically 2 - 9 hr days are required.
I haven't done R O duty the past 3-4 years; not fond of being on my feet, standing around for 8 +hrs.
Specific R Os are on duty during pubic hours: 8 - 4PM weekends starting mid/ late June thru Nov, and 7 days/ week during fall sight in.
All members are trained as ROs, so technically there are always ROs present.
Most non-public hours, especially week day business hours the place is pretty quiet.
If you're interested in joining, and haven't done so - get on the waiting list via the club's website.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 am

INOR wrote:Not a member yet of OGC but I do enjoy shooting there and have been considering joining. Becoming a member of Dakota county gun club is an impossibility as their list is next to impossible to get on.

Watch the website starting I believe June 1st, once on the list only took three years to get in. ;)

I’ve never worked I just pay to play.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 pm

I have been a member at OGC for several years. I love the place.

As was mentioned 18 hours per year duty. I believe the first year it has to be done as RO duty. After that there are quite a few ways to get it done such as work parties, snow removal...

Does not cost to get on the waiting list. When your number comes up you can join or decline. If you decline you go back to the bottom of the list.

Membership fee is less than a few trips to a pay range per year.

Facilities always seem to be clean and orderly.
hard h2o

Postby JLieu on Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

INOR wrote:Ha. This made me laugh. Sad truth is that this is a common issue at pretty much every gun range I’ve visited. The old codgers scare away new blood. Someday we’ll be those old codgers. Lol.

This is a good point...some days, I'm grouchy as hell. Getting old, haha.
JLieu

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm

JLieu wrote:
INOR wrote:Ha. This made me laugh. Sad truth is that this is a common issue at pretty much every gun range I’ve visited. The old codgers scare away new blood. Someday we’ll be those old codgers. Lol.

What is this someday or some days you guys are speaking of?
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
JLieu wrote:

What is this someday or some days you guys are speaking of?

^^^^^^^^ He's Always Grouchy ^^^^^^ :bolt:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Erud on Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 am

If you are already a member at DCGC, I wouldn’t even consider OGC. Aside from having a nicer parking lot and buildings, everything else about OGC is downside. Smaller property, more members, more expensive AND more work hours required, open to the public most times that most normal people want to/are able to shoot, way too any people shooting during peak times making everything take way longer than it should(think cease fire being called every 10-15 minutes on the 100-yard range), no useful distance rifle range, RO’s on duty *most* of the time, “No blue sky” covered ranges combining all the worst parts of indoor shooting with all of the worst parts of outdoor shooting, etc, etc, etc... It’s the been over 10 years since I had a membership there, so some of these things may have changed, but not from what I’ve heard.

All things considered, DCGC is a pretty decent club, especially if you are close. I was a member for 10 years, but withdrew my membership a couple of years ago as I can’t really do what I need to do there. I did get the official “Withdrawal Letter” from the club though, so if I ever decide to go back I can skip over everyone on the waitlist.
Erud

Postby grimbeaver on Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 am

INOR wrote:
JLieu wrote:Some of the older members can be grouchy at times, but they mean well.

Ha. This made me laugh. Sad truth is that this is a common issue at pretty much every gun range I’ve visited. The old codgers scare away new blood. Someday we’ll be those old codgers. Lol.

This is true of the radio control club I belong to as well. Must be a common trait for older members to be grumpy regardless of the activity. :lol:
grimbeaver

Postby BigBlue on Wed May 16, 2018 11:51 am

grimbeaver wrote:
INOR wrote:

This is true of the radio control club I belong to as well. Must be a common trait for older members to be grumpy regardless of the activity. :lol:

Problem is often because the older members have been through most things and already struggled to find ways to fix XYZ issues, then new members come along and complain or want to change things and won't listen when the ones with experience relate what has been tried in the past. Just because something should be changed or improved doesn't mean it is possible or affordable or wise to do. Dealt with identical situations in a snowmobile club for years.

BB
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm

The pervasive grouchiness and frequent hostility at DCGC was a key factor in my dropping the membership. Got to the point where it made the range time not enjoyable because you didn't know how long it would take the old timer 3 lanes to your right to start complaining about brass landing too close to him or blaming "all you young guys" for shooting up the backstops with those damn ARs" or quizzing you on what road you took into the club "because, you know, we go rules to only come in one way to keep the dust down for the few neighbors we have", "how goddam long does it take for you to check those GD 100 yard targets, us 50 yard guys gotta wait for you to go down and back - can't you wait until we are done?" Got it, your old and your hemorrhoids or whatever are bothering you, but holy cow, put a smile on your face - your above ground and your at a gun range - it's supposed to be fun................

I imagine you run into that anywhere and it wasn't all the time, but enough of the time that it made me hesitate going when I had time to go because I didn't want to encounter another crusty old bastard having a bad day and waste the time driving out and back.

I am not an unsafe mag dumping yahoo either, only one time did a guest and friend of mine uncase a rifle behind the line, which was called to our attention by an old timer who accelerated his truck into the parking area, slammed on his brakes in a cloud of dust, exited his vehicle and berated us for the infraction with a profanity laced tirade - a bit of an over reaction to be sure, but at least it was a bonne fide safety infraction. I couldn't get my buddy to quit apologizing as we were told that this infraction was tantamount to treason and at least 7 of the 10 Commandments being broken. Sheesh, Calm Down............and no, I'm not a snowflake but I am respectful enough to not escalate by arguing with someone who is presumably armed and already agitated. You take it, finish what you are doing and GTFO, chalk it up to another "Senior" member encounter........

So if you are a crusty old bastard, maybe take breath before you stomp all over some guy who could probably benefit from your experience and wisdom - maybe you don't remember it now, but you were a know nothing punk at some point and you made it just fine..................it's hard to believe but the vast majority of the younger guys would like to talk to you because you have information its going to take them decades to accumulate - we look up to you guys.....well, until you flip out or act grumpy.................then you are just another grumpy old SOB.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigBlue on Wed May 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Well that's not what I was talking about. Different types of grumpy old farts, I guess.

One of the reasons I really liked MGFC was that they had a bunch of smaller informal ranges and several multi-purpose ranges. Most of the times I went there I could get my own range and not have to deal with sharing and all those hassles. Now I have my own property so I don't need a range but that was a nice place for that reason.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Erud on Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm

yukonjasper wrote:The pervasive grouchiness and frequent hostility at DCGC was a key factor in my dropping the membership. Got to the point where it made the range time not enjoyable because you didn't know how long it would take the old timer 3 lanes to your right to start complaining about brass landing too close to him or blaming "all you young guys" for shooting up the backstops with those damn ARs" or quizzing you on what road you took into the club "because, you know, we go rules to only come in one way to keep the dust down for the few neighbors we have", "how goddam long does it take for you to check those GD 100 yard targets, us 50 yard guys gotta wait for you to go down and back - can't you wait until we are done?" Got it, your old and your hemorrhoids or whatever are bothering you, but holy cow, put a smile on your face - your above ground and your at a gun range - it's supposed to be fun................

I imagine you run into that anywhere and it wasn't all the time, but enough of the time that it made me hesitate going when I had time to go because I didn't want to encounter another crusty old bastard having a bad day and waste the time driving out and back.

I am not an unsafe mag dumping yahoo either, only one time did a guest and friend of mine uncase a rifle behind the line, which was called to our attention by an old timer who accelerated his truck into the parking area, slammed on his brakes in a cloud of dust, exited his vehicle and berated us for the infraction with a profanity laced tirade - a bit of an over reaction to be sure, but at least it was a bonne fide safety infraction. I couldn't get my buddy to quit apologizing as we were told that this infraction was tantamount to treason and at least 7 of the 10 Commandments being broken. Sheesh, Calm Down............and no, I'm not a snowflake but I am respectful enough to not escalate by arguing with someone who is presumably armed and already agitated. You take it, finish what you are doing and GTFO, chalk it up to another "Senior" member encounter........

So if you are a crusty old bastard, maybe take breath before you stomp all over some guy who could probably benefit from your experience and wisdom - maybe you don't remember it now, but you were a know nothing punk at some point and you made it just fine..................it's hard to believe but the vast majority of the younger guys would like to talk to you because you have information its going to take them decades to accumulate - we look up to you guys.....well, until you flip out or act grumpy.................then you are just another grumpy old SOB.

Just don't take any crap from those guys. Most of them don't know nearly as much as they'd like you to believe.
Erud

Postby yukonjasper on Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I agree, I just don't care to argue or perpetuate hostility in a setting that includes guns and people who are already agitatated. There was, at the time, some tension regarding the State or U of M not renewing the lease since the property is part of the University Land Grant. It depended on support or input from neighbors (hence the approved route and strict shooting hours- both rules I had no issue with) I think the pervasive sense of paranoia may have made people less tolerant of any irregularities.

This Forum is proof that there is much to learn from the more experienced among us.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs