Trap League at OGC

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Trap League at OGC

Postby hard h2o on Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am

Got the survey and I am excited about the prospect of a trap league at OGC.

I have often wondered why we do not have one.
hard h2o

Re: Trap League at OGC

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 11, 2018 3:00 pm

A) Politics
B) No one willing to coordinate
C) Competition for trap house time
D) All of the above
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:A) Politics
B) No one willing to coordinate
C) Competition for trap house time
D) All of the above

I'm not a OGC member, but the biggest reason I've found for a lack of a program is (B). Lack of Volunteers.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby hard h2o on Sat May 12, 2018 8:19 am

I think we have the capacity now.

Judging by the Thursdays I have been there I think there will be more than enough bodies to run something like this. I would be able to help.

We now have a trap coordinator so hopefully that will alleviate some of the politics.

Why all the negativity?

I hear a about politics at OGC. I read the meeting minutes and I never see that much that would cause alarm. I have been and am a member of fraternal organizations. All have politics or personality clashes to some degree.

As long as I am able to go there and shoot and the club improves and does not deteriorate I am happy. I have seen many improvements in my short time as a member.

My main gripe has been with the IT and not being able to sign up for range duty. I do not understand. It seems like they are building a system from scratch. Is there not an off the shelf scheduling answer for us? At least one that would need minimal tweaking to suit our needs. We can not be the first organization with a need to schedule volunteers. Kind of like the MN vehicle services debacle. There are 50 states that have systems. Why did MN need to design and implement our own?
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 12, 2018 6:02 pm

hard h2o wrote:I think we have the capacity now.

Judging by the Thursdays I have been there I think there will be more than enough bodies to run something like this. I would be able to help.

We now have a trap coordinator so hopefully that will alleviate some of the politics.

Why all the negativity?

I hear a about politics at OGC. I read the meeting minutes and I never see that much that would cause alarm. I have been and am a member of fraternal organizations. All have politics or personality clashes to some degree.

As long as I am able to go there and shoot and the club improves and does not deteriorate I am happy. I have seen many improvements in my short time as a member.

My main gripe has been with the IT and not being able to sign up for range duty. I do not understand. It seems like they are building a system from scratch. Is there not an off the shelf scheduling answer for us? At least one that would need minimal tweaking to suit our needs. We can not be the first organization with a need to schedule volunteers. Kind of like the MN vehicle services debacle. There are 50 states that have systems. Why did MN need to design and implement our own?

Not meaning to be negative, just realistic. The politics comes and goes and can get a bit much. Like the trap guy that was requiring trap training annually in order to use the equipment. I get the system is expensive and one needs a training but every year? They now have backed off on that.

I still remember the member meeting with a 1 hour discussion on why we should raise the price of non-member trap by 2 dollars instead of raising member trap and non-member trap by $1 each. This would have made member trap $3 instead of $2 at that point in time if I recall correctly.

I get such clubs are going to get such things and gun guys can be crotchety old folks. I get it, and accept it heck, I am a member of 2 such clubs, however it does affect good ideas from being implemented and can become a hinderance to such things as leagues.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Not meaning to be negative, just realistic. The politics comes and goes and can get a bit much. Like the trap guy that was requiring trap training annually in order to use the equipment. I get the system is expensive and one needs a training but every year? They now have backed off on that.

I still remember the member meeting with a 1 hour discussion on why we should raise the price of non-member trap by 2 dollars instead of raising member trap and non-member trap by $1 each. This would have made member trap $3 instead of $2 at that point in time if I recall correctly.

I get such clubs are going to get such things and gun guys can be crotchety old folks. I get it, and accept it heck, I am a member of 2 such clubs, however it does affect good ideas from being implemented and can become a hindrance to such things as leagues.

Hope the new trap coordinator will allow the trap side of the club to grow and flourish.

I am a Knight of Columbus. The average age of our membership is quite a bit north of 50. You want to see a bunch of crotchety old farts debate about petty things come to one of our meetings. I was a Field Agent for 2 years. I sold the insurance. As such I had to travel around to several councils and attend their meetings. It made me so grateful when I was back at my home council to see how well ours was run. Our main focus is charity. Some councils lose sight of that and try to hold onto every nickle they raise. It is amazing how worried they are about bank accounts when they should really have just enough to do business with the rest going out to do good work. Trying to get the young guys to join a club and be active with a reputation that the Knights have is difficult. One Grand Knight pissed off a bunch of the older guys. For one of their annual events he called up all the newer members and got a crew of new guys to work. Funny hearing the old guys bitch about that. Tried to explain to them that it was good to get them involved from the start. It'll help keep them involved. Get them off on the right foot.

I met the trap coordinator today when I went in to do trap training. He seems like a good guy and shoots a lot of trap.

When we put in the two new trap ranges I was dismayed that the initial thought was we as members would not be able to use them. Now we will be able to use them if they are not scheduled to be used. Also the change to every 3 years will be nice I will have to put that in my calendar or I will forget and in 3 years I will have a group of guys out and my card will not work. Adding a trap league is a great plan. We have a lot of pistol and rifle competition using the ranges. Why not the scatter guns as well. Those are some great changes and I hope there are more to come.

I gave them my number so I can help with something when the league gets started.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 15, 2018 3:11 pm

hard h2o wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Not meaning to be negative, just realistic. The politics comes and goes and can get a bit much. Like the trap guy that was requiring trap training annually in order to use the equipment. I get the system is expensive and one needs a training but every year? They now have backed off on that.

I get such clubs are going to get such things and gun guys can be crotchety old folks. I get it, and accept it heck, I am a member of 2 such clubs, however it does affect good ideas from being implemented and can become a hindrance to such things as leagues.

Hope the new trap coordinator will allow the trap side of the club to grow and flourish.

I am a Knight of Columbus. The average age of our membership is quite a bit north of 50. You want to see a bunch of crotchety old farts debate about petty things come to one of our meetings. I was a Field Agent for 2 years. I sold the insurance. As such I had to travel around to several councils and attend their meetings. It made me so grateful when I was back at my home council to see how well ours was run. Our main focus is charity. Some councils lose sight of that and try to hold onto every nickle they raise. It is amazing how worried they are about bank accounts when they should really have just enough to do business with the rest going out to do good work. Trying to get the young guys to join a club and be active with a reputation that the Knights have is difficult. One Grand Knight pissed off a bunch of the older guys. For one of their annual events he called up all the newer members and got a crew of new guys to work. Funny hearing the old guys bitch about that. Tried to explain to them that it was good to get them involved from the start. It'll help keep them involved. Get them off on the right foot.

I met the trap coordinator today when I went in to do trap training. He seems like a good guy and shoots a lot of trap.

When we put in the two new trap ranges I was dismayed that the initial thought was we as members would not be able to use them. Now we will be able to use them if they are not scheduled to be used. Also the change to every 3 years will be nice I will have to put that in my calendar or I will forget and in 3 years I will have a group of guys out and my card will not work. Adding a trap league is a great plan. We have a lot of pistol and rifle competition using the ranges. Why not the scatter guns as well. Those are some great changes and I hope there are more to come.

I gave them my number so I can help with something when the league gets started.

Good for you. Honestly, it takes folks like this willing to put in the time to make stuff like this happen. If I was not so far away and focused on the High School trap league I would jump in as well.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Wed May 16, 2018 11:10 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Good for you. Honestly, it takes folks like this willing to put in the time to make stuff like this happen. If I was not so far away and focused on the High School trap league I would jump in as well.

You have to keep your priorities or you will get stretched thin.

My boy just finished his 8th grade swimming season. I have spent quite a few seasons helping and coaching the team. It is bittersweet. I am glad to be done. I am glad he will be moving on to a high school team. It is amazing the number of parents that just drop the kids off and you never see them the entire season. I understand being busy but c'mon. I started helping when they just asked for parents to help on the pool deck. It is so easy to just help out in small ways.

Helped out at a carwash fundraiser this weekend. Most of my time was spent keeping the kids on task and making sure they did a good job.

The high school league is a great thing. I am glad that our other two trap ranges will not be exclusive to the high schoolers. It is great to see them out there shooting.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm

hard h2o wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

You have to keep your priorities or you will get stretched thin.

My boy just finished his 8th grade swimming season. I have spent quite a few seasons helping and coaching the team. It is bittersweet. I am glad to be done. I am glad he will be moving on to a high school team. It is amazing the number of parents that just drop the kids off and you never see them the entire season. I understand being busy but c'mon. I started helping when they just asked for parents to help on the pool deck. It is so easy to just help out in small ways.

Helped out at a carwash fundraiser this weekend. Most of my time was spent keeping the kids on task and making sure they did a good job.

The high school league is a great thing. I am glad that our other two trap ranges will not be exclusive to the high schoolers. It is great to see them out there shooting.

I enjoy it. The kids are good kids and I figure they are all going to become democrats in college so maybe if they are hooked on guns they won't take mine away someday.

My sons have both graduated HS now but somehow I think I must have signed up for life somewhere along the way. Oh well, gets me to the club. Buffalo Gun Club in this case. So somehow I am a member at 2 clubs over 60 miles apart :)
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:51 am

We are going into our 4th week of the league. It is a lot of fun.

There are 6 teams with 8 members on a team. Pretty good turnout for the first year.

48 members shooting mainly Monday and Tuesday.
hard h2o

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs