South metro smith?

Discussion of handguns

South metro smith?

Postby INOR on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Want to do a simple swap out of sights on a Stoeger Cougar 9mm (beretta cougar clone). Hate the factory sites and think going to put on a set of trijicons. Looking for a smith to do it. I won’t go into Dakota guns in lakeville because they’ve been dicks every single time I’ve walked in that place. So looking for someone relatively close to south metro who can swap them out quick. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: South metro smith?

Postby smurfman on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Try Bob Odenthal of Odenthal's Gunsmithing. He is in Prior Lake off 185th on Natchez I think.

I don't have his contact info at hand but it shouldn't be hard to find him.
smurfman

Postby VMAX97 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 am

Bob Odenthal of Odenthal's Gunsmithing specializes in shotguns only from what I know of him. He has done great work on my trap gun! My information is over a year old, so if he changed his business model, that is news to me.
VMAX97

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 am

I'm not familiar with the Cougar but if the sights are a push type, I have a push tool that I use on Glocks and a few others. You are welcome to try it and see if it will do the job, or I can try to help you.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I did say at a Holiday Inn :bolt:

I've helped several members on here, change their sights. Mostly Glock's, but a few other brands as well. I live on the East side of Edina.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

South metro smith?

Postby INOR on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks. Now I’m uncertain. I took it with me this past weekend to Bill’s in Hudson and did some shooting with it. Shot that and my SAR K2 and a glock 17.

The sights on the Cougar are definitely an issue. My aging eyes just don’t like them. But now I’m evaluating whether I like the other features of the gun enough to justify sinking a hundred bucks into sights on a gun that was only $400 to begin with. I like it but I’m not fully convinced that I like it that much. May need to just hold and watch for a deal on a set of sights. Or just sell the gun.

On the other hand, my favorite gun to shoot is still my SAR K2 .45acp. It’s just a fun shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby smurfman on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:04 pm

VMAX97 wrote:Bob Odenthal of Odenthal's Gunsmithing specializes in shotguns only from what I know of him. He has done great work on my trap gun! My information is over a year old, so if he changed his business model, that is news to me.

Bob has done various rifle work for me, barrels, sights, drill and tap of receivers, triggers, bedding, safeties, etc as recently as last year on back to when he was still in Richfield- that's over 25 years ago. I know him for his rifle work with a very limited amount of shotgun work. The email he sent out last summer, like previous ones, listed his services of which rifle work was included.

It may be pistol work you are thinking of, he does not generally do that. Swapping sights is something I have talked to him about and he was ammenable to that depending on the model. That the OP was looking for a straight up swap is the reason I suggested Bob. But then, maybe it is our long association which has Bob going outside his norm.
smurfman

Postby VMAX97 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 pm

smurfman wrote:
VMAX97 wrote:Bob Odenthal of Odenthal's Gunsmithing specializes in shotguns only from what I know of him. He has done great work on my trap gun! My information is over a year old, so if he changed his business model, that is news to me.

Bob has done various rifle work for me, barrels, sights, drill and tap of receivers, triggers, bedding, safeties, etc as recently as last year on back to when he was still in Richfield- that's over 25 years ago. I know him for his rifle work with a very limited amount of shotgun work. The email he sent out last summer, like previous ones, listed his services of which rifle work was included.

It may be pistol work you are thinking of, he does not generally do that. Swapping sights is something I have talked to him about and he was ammenable to that depending on the model. That the OP was looking for a straight up swap is the reason I suggested Bob. But then, maybe it is our long association which has Bob going outside his norm.

That is good to know, maybe he only works on long guns. I have not needed any rifle work done but had asked him about pistol work.
VMAX97

Postby VMAX97 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm

smurfman wrote:

That is good to know, maybe he only works on long guns. I have not needed any rifle work done but had asked him about pistol work.
VMAX97

Postby GOPHERGUNNER on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:46 pm

While it's not exactly south metro, it's worth the drive. Take it down to Ahlman's in Morristown. It's an hour south of here. (35 south to 60, west on 60 to Morristown, follow the signs.) They do very good work, and the shop is huge. They've got a ton of stuff to look at and purchase, both new and used. They do warranty work for many of the major manufacturers and I'm sure would have no problem doing the work for you. If nothing else, it's a nice little road trip.
GOPHERGUNNER

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 pm

GOPHERGUNNER wrote:While it's not exactly south metro, it's worth the drive. Take it down to Ahlman's in Morristown. It's an hour south of here. (35 south to 60, west on 60 to Morristown, follow the signs.) They do very good work, and the shop is huge. They've got a ton of stuff to look at and purchase, both new and used. They do warranty work for many of the major manufacturers and I'm sure would have no problem doing the work for you. If nothing else, it's a nice little road trip.

Very interesting place to visit for those who haven’t been there.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 am

Ahlman's is definitely an interesting place. Have to get down there sometime soon and check them out. It's been a long time since I've been there.
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:26 am

So, is the consensus that Ahlman's is the go to? I've been following this thread because I need a little bit of work on my SAR K2 rear sight that I totally Hillary'd. I also have an SKS furniture issue I'd like to get an opinion on.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am

Can’t go wrong with Ahlmans. They do good work and are a great place.
Holland&Holland

Postby GOPHERGUNNER on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Ahlman's is well worth the drive. It's a huge shop out in the middle of nowhere. They've got a huge variety of used guns to peruse, and some really interesting stuff in their display cases. The staff are very knowledgeable too. They have full machine shop capabilities on site. If you need an obscure part, they've got it,they can get it, or they can make it. I especially enjoy rooting through their bargain cave, and parts gun room. They've got hundreds of parts guns, stocks, and barrels, all for sale, if find something you need. They have a small rifle and handgun range there too. I've never asked, but I wouldn't doubt that they might let you go test shoot any used gun you might be considering. There's a couple half decent bars nearby in Waterville to go get a burger while you're down that way too.
GOPHERGUNNER

Postby Zarthan on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Years ago I used Jim Kobe in Bloomington, he drilled and tapped a barrel for a new front sight, so not a big job but it was what I needed at a fair price.
952-884-6031

https://www.acgg.org/index.php/member-b ... file/Jkobe

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/m ... rks.44895/
Zarthan

Return to Handguns