For those of us that reload : Keep Your Powder Dry

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

For those of us that reload : Keep Your Powder Dry

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 pm

I thought I might share this. While most know this, I still found it informational. I just wish I could afford VV Powder :shock:

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/storage-of-powders/?fbclid=IwAR2i0DkoIOIVZUWezhrG9-Q5uTI0_XY3pES_hdNulf6XbhWPuch29CdNmT8
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: For those of us that reload : Keep Your Powder Dry

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Dang !!! Now I need to have another building just to store powder within safely. :lol:
OldmanFCSA

Postby crbutler on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Nope...

Now you need multiple buildings to store your powder in.
crbutler

Postby Ghost on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm

So I'm not supposed to store it on the mantle above the fireplace?
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 am

Ghost wrote:So I'm not supposed to store it on the mantle above the fireplace?

COOL and DRY, not HOT and DRY.
OldmanFCSA

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:58 am

It's been on my to-do list for a while to build a storage cabinet / trunk of some sorts that would have some amount of fire containment. Question is for the quantity of powder that I have what would it take to actually contain that to some extent.
grimbeaver

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:22 am

grimbeaver wrote:It's been on my to-do list for a while to build a storage cabinet / trunk of some sorts that would have some amount of fire containment. Question is for the quantity of powder that I have what would it take to actually contain that to some extent.

Wouldn’t “containment” actually make matters worse? Wouldn’t, a flash ignition be safer than a compressed ignition? I’m thinking of a round fired from a firearm as opposed to a round cooked off in a fire or high heat.
Sorcerer

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 am

Sorcerer wrote:
grimbeaver wrote:It's been on my to-do list for a while to build a storage cabinet / trunk of some sorts that would have some amount of fire containment. Question is for the quantity of powder that I have what would it take to actually contain that to some extent.

Wouldn’t “containment” actually make matters worse? Wouldn’t, a flash ignition be safer than a compressed ignition? I’m thinking of a round fired from a firearm as opposed to a round cooked off in a fire or high heat.

I've seen where people make a crate out of wood, drywall and chicken wire. The key is to make it so that it's not air tight so the size would only need to be big enough to store the inventory of powder that you expect to have. If it happens you want it to burn and not boom.
Ghost

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 am

Here's a link to a pretty good pdf file that covers the "requirements". If this doesn't help, try a search on "Storing Smokeless Powder" and it will give you more info

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Info-Doc-Smokeless-Powder.pdf

This link also has the details of smokeless powder storage

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#consider
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am

BigDog58 wrote:Here's a link to a pretty good pdf file that covers the "requirements". If this doesn't help, try a search on "Storing Smokeless Powder" and it will give you more info

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Info-Doc-Smokeless-Powder.pdf

This link also has the details of smokeless powder storage

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#consider

Yeah I've read those before but simply saying walls 1" thick means exactly what? So would a container built with 1" thick wood contain the burn of the 20-50 lbs of powder they specify? I was thinking thinner wood walls lined with a layer (or two) of type-x sheetrock.
grimbeaver

Return to Ammunition & Reloading