MN Committee Meeting on UBC

Firearms related political discussion forum

MN Committee Meeting on UBC

Postby daleamn on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:57 am

I caught bits and pieces of the UBC committee meeting Wednesday night on TV.
Kudos to the folk that spoke against this bill. Specifically:
Strause
Daniel Ward
Bryant Stewart
the woman from the Libertarian party.
Professor Olson
I know I've left out others and I am VERY sorry I haven't named you here. ALL the folk that spoke against this bill used logic and reason. On the other side was emotionalism and "we have to do SOMETHING (even if it won't actually solve anything)".

One point on the UBC proposed law, which passed the committee, if you sell a gun to someone you have to verify they have a permit to purchase and you have to keep that paperwork FOREVER. Don't lose it or you'll be subject to a gross misdemeanor. One of the folk asked everyone, 'if you're married, you had to get a license from the state, how many of you could produce THAT document on demand?' I thought it was a great point but it fell flat with the committee.

P.S. The committee meeting was on TPT. Does anybody know where a video of the entire meeting, including the meeting of the 'red flag-gun confiscation' bill which was right after this?

P.P.S I was astounded by the pro gun control people's closed mindedness to consider ANY of the failings of these bills. I suspect, despite what they are saying that they really are coming for our guns.
daleamn

Re: MN Committee Meeting on UBC

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks for your kind words - there will be a follow-up hearing on this bill along with HF 9 - the Red Flag bill - in House Judiciary & Civil Law on Wednesday night at 7:00 PM.

The full hearing for both bills should be viewable on the MN Legislature website - goto House -> Committees -> House Public Safety and then there shoudl be a link for previous hearings, etc. it was nearly 5 hours on Wednesday night and another 30-45 minutes on Thursday during the 12:45pm hearing.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 am

andrewP

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 am

daleamn wrote:I suspect, despite what they are saying that they really are coming for our guns.

Yup. This is not new news, and not a new pattern. Look at the history of gun laws in Britain over the last ~150 years. We're on a somewhat similar trajectory, unfortunately.
andrewP

Postby daleamn on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for the Youtube link. That's just what I was looking for.
daleamn

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 pm

UBC=Universal Background Checks

Took me a little bit to catch on.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 pm

daleamn wrote:Thanks for the Youtube link. That's just what I was looking for.

Honestly, I just followed bstrawse's instructions, but I figured it couldn't hurt to make it easy for anybody else. I haven't watched the whole thing yet myself, but the lies and/or partial truths several of the people called to testify told, especially regarding internet sales, were quite impressive. :(
andrewP

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 pm

"....but the lies and/or partial truths several of the people called to testify told, especially regarding internet sales, were quite impressive. )

What was IMPRESSIVE was when Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman stated he did not prosecute illegal purchases of firearms because they were too busy to waste their time on such minor crimes (misdemeanors).

Has anyone estimated the number of the new mandated "Permit to Purchase" applications will be applied for on the FIRST day the law takes effect? What the cost would be for law enforcement to take and process those applications? All departments will be overwhelmed. Applicants will wait in lines a mile long.

If is like the current PTP, they have 7 days to process those applications. There also must be some provision, penalty (cost), if the 7 days are not met or the 7 days to process means nothing. (This is from my personal experience when I applied for a PTP years ago with the clerk that said I could pick it up in 2 weeks, knowing she is suppose to have it done in 7 days.)
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm

westhope wrote:Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman stated he did not prosecute illegal purchases of firearms because they were too busy to waste their time on such minor crimes (misdemeanors).

Ugh, really? That must be in a part of it that I haven't gotten to yet. (I'm only about an hour in, and I can only take so much in one sitting before I get cranky at all of the BS.) Sounds like he's basically saying "I'm not going to bother to do my job properly/fully, so clearly we need laws which by their nature will lead to gun registration."
andrewP

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:43 pm

westhope wrote:"....but the lies and/or partial truths several of the people called to testify told, especially regarding internet sales, were quite impressive. )

What was IMPRESSIVE was when Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman stated he did not prosecute illegal purchases of firearms because they were too busy to waste their time on such minor crimes (misdemeanors).

Has anyone estimated the number of the new mandated "Permit to Purchase" applications will be applied for on the FIRST day the law takes effect? What the cost would be for law enforcement to take and process those applications? All departments will be overwhelmed. Applicants will wait in lines a mile long.

If is like the current PTP, they have 7 days to process those applications. There also must be some provision, penalty (cost), if the 7 days are not met or the 7 days to process means nothing. (This is from my personal experience when I applied for a PTP years ago with the clerk that said I could pick it up in 2 weeks, knowing she is suppose to have it done in 7 days.)

Expect to see legislation filed early next week to make this into a felony.

There are fiscal estimates of the impact of these laws -- they're on the legislatures page on the two bills.

Walz has requested nearly $1m over the next two years to implement these two bills.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby srommes on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:24 am

“One point on the UBC proposed law, which passed the committee, if you sell a gun to someone you have to verify they have a permit to purchase and you have to keep that paperwork FOREVER”

This is what I have always done for CYA purposes. Hoping that all this **** fails but if this was the only thing that passed, that would be better than running to an ffl each time I sold/transferred a gun.
srommes

Postby bstrawse on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:37 am

srommes wrote:“One point on the UBC proposed law, which passed the committee, if you sell a gun to someone you have to verify they have a permit to purchase and you have to keep that paperwork FOREVER”

This is what I have always done for CYA purposes. Hoping that all this **** fails but if this was the only thing that passed, that would be better than running to an ffl each time I sold/transferred a gun.

What's going to pass the MN House is a whole hell of a lot more than just that...
b
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 am

What will pass is the start of the end of private gun ownership in mn.

It must be stopped in the Senate.
Holland&Holland

Postby srommes on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:05 am

bstrawse wrote:
srommes wrote:“One point on the UBC proposed law, which passed the committee, if you sell a gun to someone you have to verify they have a permit to purchase and you have to keep that paperwork FOREVER”

What's going to pass the MN House is a whole hell of a lot more than just that...
b

Understood, I was referring to the final outcome. Hopefully all of this dies on the senate floor.
srommes

Postby bstrawse on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 am

I doubt it even gets to the Senate Floor.

But take action: http://gunowners.mn/action
b
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics