Concealed carry choices

Discussion of handguns

Concealed carry choices

Postby GOPHERGUNNER on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:35 am

I got my permit in the mail last week. My wife should have hers this week or next. Now it's time to pick the right concealed carry weapons for us. Cathy really likes the Shield EZ as it's much easier for her to rack than others she has handled. I think we're pretty firm on getting her that. I have an N&P Shield, which is a great gun, but I think it's a little bigger than I want to carry on a daily basis. I also have a FEG clone of a Browning Hi Power which is a great gun, but a little big for CC. I'm leaning towards a Glock 43, although I'm open to suggestions. Think I want to stay with 9MM, but would consider a .380. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll most likely purchase through the Modern Sportsman shop in Burnsville/Savage. Thanks guys.
GOPHERGUNNER

Concealed carry choices

Postby INOR on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 am

It’s really a personal choice. Need to do what is right for you.

I rotate between a Shield 9, a S&W model 642 .38 revolver, and a Ruger LCP2 .380. I also have a Walther PPS that I can carry but I never do. And an older generation Ruger LCP. I have a clip on the older LCP so I can carry holster-less with that if I want (which I’ve done a couple of times).

Of all of my small handguns, the one that ends up being carried with me the most is the LCP2 in a pocket holster. It’s tiny and easy to grab. And it actually shoots nice and has been reliable at the range when I’ve practiced with it. Yeah it’s only a .380 but it’s at least with me. Better than not.

I still carry the shield and the 642 a lot too. I prefer to carry the shield in a simple, single clip kydex iwb holster. I carry the 642 in a pocket holster or in a leather iwb also with a single clip.

The key for me is that it needs to be small, concealable, and simple. I prefer to conceal so small is important.

As for simplicity, one of the first holsters I bought was an alien gear iwb with two clips that could be set for pretty deep conceal. Nice holster “in theory” but the reality was that it was too cumbersome to try to put the thing on every day. Have to undo your pants and get it in place just right. Then secure your pants around it and holster your gun. Was just too much. The end result was that I often didn’t want to deal with the hassle and thus didn’t carry. Bad choice. Since then, for carry, I have switched to keeping it simple as possible. Holster needs to be one where I can tuck or untuck a loaded pistol in one swift motion. So pocket or simple single clip IWB. That’s what works best for me.

I know that you weren’t asking for holster comments but I’ve found that when it comes to carry, the right holster and method of carry is almost as important as the gun choice. So besides the pistol, think about how you want to carry and choose a holster that you know you can and will put on every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Concealed carry choices

Postby jdege on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 am

INOR wrote:Of all of my small handguns, the one that ends up being carried with me the most is the LCP2 in a pocket holster. It’s tiny and easy to grab. And it actually shoots nice and has been reliable at the range when I’ve practiced with it. Yeah it’s only a .380 but it’s at least with me. Better than not.

I have a PM9, that I carry IWB, and an LCP2 in a pocket holster.

I started carrying the LCP2 because I found myself needing to arm and disarm, throughout the day, and it's a lot easier and faster to do with a pocket holster than with an IWB.

And then I've found myself carrying the LCP2 even on days where I'd not to go someplace that required me to disarm.

.380 is truthfully an anemic little round, But better a ,380 in your pocket than a 9mm back home in your dresser drawer.
jdege

Postby westhope on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 am

Really it is a personal choice.

If size is a problem, all the new small 9 mm's are good. I finally settled on a Sig 365 only because it carries a few more rounds. (I have also tried Glock 43, Sig 938 and Shield 9 mm.)

I also carried a SW 642, pocket holster for several years. Small revolvers are fine too.

I have a Kahr P380 (pocket holster) for very discrete carry if needed.

Holster and BELT choice is very important. If IWB is your choice of carry, you can do no better than a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. They are expensive ($150 or so), long lead times but after 20 years of carrying with various holster, this is THE best holster.

My normal carry is a 1911 commander. Light carry is the Sig 365. Both in a Versa Max 2.

You NEVER want to carry "holster-less". Whatever your carry method, the holster must cover the triggerguard.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby smurfman on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 am

As mentioned, picking a gun is a personal decision and is much like picking shoes. You can get suggestions on what others have chosen but it ultimately is up to you. The biggest advantage to following the advice of others is that someone else is likely to get a deal on the pistol you bought and didn't like.

I have a Kahr CW9 for discreet carry which is maybe 1% of the time. 95% of the time I carry a full size Springfield XD40 or a full size S&W M&P 40. The other 4% I carry a Government size 1911. I carry these because they are easy to shoot compared to a compact or subcompact and are not any harder to conceal if one picks the right clothes and method of carry.

There are two rules of thought on carrying a handgun: use a gun that fits your wardrobe or wear clothes to fit the gun. I fit clothes to the gun as wearing slightly "baggy" clothes such as Columbia brand fishing shirts is comfortable to me. Blouse it out and one can easily hide a Ruger Super Redhawk. It does require buying pants a size or two larger but the belt does a good job of keeping the pants up.

The other method is beyond my ken. I don't wear Spandex and even my t-shirts are big enough to conceal a full sized gun especially when left untucked. The rare times I do wear fitted shirts is when the Kahr or 1911 get the nod.

For the M&P and XD I wear Inside waistband (IWB) using a Sidegaurd Holster made here in MN. I have a pair of Safariland holsters for the 1911 and a simple Bianchi for the Kahr. I find these to be comfortable and easy to use when a good belt is worn. This is the key for any belt holster- a good belt. The belt does not have to be expensive, I find decent belts at Walmart and Menards at reasonable prices. It needs to be stiff so the holster does not flop over when the gun is in it. Also, make sure your holster loops will fit the belt- I have a couple of 2" width belts that only the one 1911 holster will fit so my gun choice is limited when those belts are worn.

So, pick the gun you feel comfortable with and not that which someone else tells you to buy. The same will go for holsters and belts to an extent. What clothes you wear and how you wear it will be a factor in your gun and holster choice too. Above all, practice with your gun often. Small guns are more difficult to use well and the skill deteriorates quicker.
smurfman

Postby Hmac on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 am

I've tried several compact and sub-compact carry guns. I first carried a Colt Mustang (NiteLite) but wanted to move to 9mm, and didn't want anything with a manual safety. I've tried and abandoned the Glock 23, and the Shield...didn't care for the grip on either...tried a Karh but found it to be too finnicky with ammo. My current choice, my wife as well, is the Walther PPS M2 (my wife prefers the PPS Classic). I hadn't thought of that PPS years ago, but my wife found it as part of the same kind of search you're undertaking. I liked hers so I bought one for myself (later upgraded to the PPS M2) and dumped the Kahr. I carry it in a DeSantis leather Speed Scabbard. The PPS M2 shoots like a full-size 9mm. It's been reliable and accurate. YMMV, but it's worth considering as part of your search.

Hmac

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 am

So personal both in guns and holsters I would suggest hitting several gun stores and check them out. Most times it's gonna be an all of a sudden this feels right moment on the gun. Holster not so much. Everyone I know has or had a bunch of holsters b4 deciding on one.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:19 pm

When I carry, I carry a Glock 27. Used to carry a SA sub compact but was a bit thick. Got a deal on the glock. Never cared for glock but it shoots great.
Bearcatrp

Postby hammAR on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 pm

1911 (p13-45) double stack commander size in a Side Guard holster (Link)..............

Side Guard Holsters is a board member and is local......................
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm

hammAR wrote:1911 (p13-45) double stack commander size in a Side Guard holster (Link)..............

+1 for side guard holsters.
Holland&Holland

Postby GOPHERGUNNER on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna have to hit the shop and try on some guns and holsters.
GOPHERGUNNER

Concealed carry choices

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 am

OP, if you are leaning towards a Glock 43 I would suggest you take a close look at 43X as well. Just a bit larger but easier and more pleasant to shoot (at least for me) plus extra rounds in the magazine.

I would also suggest to carry the Shield you have for 3-4 months before buying similar guns. As you get used to carrying, you will likely get more comfortable with larger guns.

As others mentioned above, get a stiff carry belt. I went through 3-4 holsters before I realized it was the belt that was the problem. I personally settled on Tucker Leather from TX but there are a lot of good belt makers out there.
gun_fan111v2

Postby westhope on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 am

hammAR wrote:1911 (p13-45) double stack commander size in a Side Guard holster (Link)..............

It sure is nice to have a holster named after you! Or is that just pure coincidence? (Follow the link!)

The classic "Summer Special" style of holster is very good too. I have used it too but prefer the wider support of th Versa Max. I have several SideGuard holster too.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby daleamn on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm

One thing to consider on the tiny semi-auto's (like the Ruger LCP) is the "standard magazine", the "standard magazine with the finger extension" and the "extended magazine".

A friend tried the Ruger LCP with the "standard magazine" and immediately rejected it. The sales guy got a magazine with the pinky extension installed on it and my friend put the LCP back into consideration. I believe all the Ruger LCP magazines are sold with both the "standard" magazine floor plate and the floor plate with the pinky extension on it. Plus Ruger sells extended magazines that hold seven rounds instead of the standard six rounds.

P.S. I am an admitted Ruger enthusiast but am VERY much aware S&W has many VERY popular guns for CCW. I wouldn't get either one without trying out some from the other side.
daleamn

Postby hammAR on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm

westhope wrote:

It sure is nice to have a holster named after you! Or is that just pure coincidence? (Follow the link!)

The classic "Summer Special" style of holster is very good too. I have used it too but prefer the wider support of th Versa Max. I have several SideGuard holster too.

I am partial to it, needless to say...................lol
Worked with Eric with design, requirements, and testing. There are a bunch of them floating around in the FED/.GOV world...............
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Next

Return to Handguns