Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Postby fjrdc on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm

MNIceMan wrote:How about some of the dealers at the MWCA shows that have had the same firearms on their table for 10 years, and the price keeps going up each year. Not a great business model. Sentimental value does cloud quite a few peoples ability to price things correctly per the market.

Hangtags are so worn that you can barely read the prices, crabby arrogant dealers that need to go home.
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Then you would not have a gun show.
Holland&Holland

Postby atomic41 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:38 am

Went to a gun show last year for the first time in a very long time, got a great reminder of why I don't go.
Among the rows of rare and gold plated museum pieces :roll: , I found the pot of honey. A gentleman was selling 5.56 "green tips" for only $.99/per rd! He had a sign that read, "banned soon".
atomic41

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 am

atomic41 wrote:Went to a gun show last year for the first time in a very long time, got a great reminder of why I don't go.
Among the rows of rare and gold plated museum pieces :roll: , I found the pot of honey. A gentleman was selling 5.56 "green tips" for only $.99/per rd! He had a sign that read, "banned soon".

Your lucky day!!!
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:48 am

I was reminded of this yesterday as I went to trade in my 90%-condition German .40 SIG P229 for $255 (orginal purchase price in 1996 was $795). That $255 was 60% of its current retail value (Bill's wants a 40% markup. It's an excellent handgun, but the market for big, steel, hammer-fired .40 cals is pretty lame. Not enough value for me to go to the effort of putting it up on GunBroker or trying to sell it at retail.
Hmac

Postby INOR on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am

atomic41 wrote:Went to a gun show last year for the first time in a very long time, got a great reminder of why I don't go.
'

I went to Bill's in Hudson a couple of weekends ago intending to shoot my M&P Sport II. Only had green tips in my pre-loaded mags. They wouldn't let me shoot them. Had no idea why. Then I read up about the "armor piercing" controversy. Is that the only reason why Bill's won't let people fire green tips there? Guess I'll just have to save those for the impending apocalypse.
INOR

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Actually my guns are worth their weight on gold, once you calculate the upgrades made and the ammo that has been fired thru a particular firearm.

ArmaLite AR-50 with 2 new barrels and the 7000 rounds fired thru to date. Target rounds are about $3.25 each now days.

Basic rifle with scope weighs 49.76 pounds.

Just thinking ..........................................................................................................
OldmanFCSA

Postby Erud on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:36 pm

What you spent and what they’re worth are two completely different things.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Erud wrote:What you spent and what they’re worth are two completely different things.

Worth what someone is willing to pay for them.
Ghost

Postby Erud on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Ghost wrote:
Erud wrote:What you spent and what they’re worth are two completely different things.

Yeah, I’m referring to OldManFCSA’s comment specifically. I’m pretty sure no one is willing to pay him the cost of his rifle plus what he spent on upgrades and ammo to buy it. Also, 50# of gold at current spot price is just over $1million.
Erud

Postby aprilian on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:40 pm

I trained my son, "There is a big difference between rare/unusual/customized and valuable".
aprilian

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Erud wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Yeah, I’m referring to OldManFCSA’s comment specifically. I’m pretty sure no one is willing to pay him the cost of his rifle plus what he spent on upgrades and ammo to buy it. Also, 50# of gold at current spot price is just over $1million.

I got that. Just pointing out the obvious.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

So what if you are selling actual gold?
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 am

Holland&Holland wrote:So what if you are selling actual gold?

I’ll give you .50 on the dollar at current prices. :shock:
Sorcerer

Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Postby INOR on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:48 am

Erud wrote:I’m pretty sure no one is willing to pay him the cost of his rifle plus what he spent on upgrades and ammo to buy it. Also, 50# of gold at current spot price is just over $1million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat