2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: 2019 Legislature-Will we be thrown under the bus?

Postby daleamn on Wed May 15, 2019 10:24 am

Well, prompted by the example and info of Bstrawse I sent off some emails. My Senator and Representative are FIRMLY in the "Protect MN" and gun control group so to cheer myself up a bit I also sent some "thank you" emails to some of the folk that are against these proposed laws THAT WILL NOT STOP "GUN VIOLENCE".

I hope they did some good. I wonder if sending an email to someone NOT your representative is helpful or not.

I wonder why the email process is not uniform...that is some reps give you a canned form to fill out and others just give you their email address and you use your own email to send the message?
daleamn

Postby sansooshooter on Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am

bstrawse wrote:
sansooshooter wrote:Are they waiting till the last day for the public safety bill ?

The gun control provisions were debated yesterday in Conference Committee and died in committee.

They can still make an attempt later in conference committee or they can make an attempt on the floor, but we believe it's very unlikely they will do so - and even more unlikely that they will pass.

Not a single GOP legislator voted in favor.

Rob Doar, our political director, and Brian Gosch, the NRA Lobbyist for MN - testified against the bills.

It's not over until it's over - the gavel will fall at 11:59PM on Monday, May 20th.

b

Good to hear . I will be looking forward to the end of session .
I always do !
sansooshooter

Postby Ghost on Wed May 15, 2019 3:21 pm

It’s not over until it’s over but it’s almost over
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 am

daleamn wrote:Well, prompted by the example and info of Bstrawse I sent off some emails. My Senator and Representative are FIRMLY in the "Protect MN" and gun control group so to cheer myself up a bit I also sent some "thank you" emails to some of the folk that are against these proposed laws THAT WILL NOT STOP "GUN VIOLENCE".

I hope they did some good. I wonder if sending an email to someone NOT your representative is helpful or not.

I wonder why the email process is not uniform...that is some reps give you a canned form to fill out and others just give you their email address and you use your own email to send the message?

I don't know the 'why', but I've noticed that it seems like more dems use the form and more republicans still accept direct e-mails. If I had to guess, I'd speculate that dems are OK with making communication more difficult because they really aren't wanting input from constituents... they seem to march in lockstep with their party leadership more closely.

BB
BigBlue

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 20, 2019 6:07 am

End of session budget deal announced - gun control was not included.

Session ends tonight at 11:59 PM, though we'll probably see them back before the week is out for a special session to finish passing the budget...
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Mon May 20, 2019 6:52 am

bstrawse wrote:End of session budget deal announced - gun control was not included.

Session ends tonight at 11:59 PM, though we'll probably see them back before the week is out for a special session to finish passing the budget...

Well done Bryan
Ghost

Postby atomic41 on Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 am

bstrawse wrote:End of session budget deal announced - gun control was not included.

Thank you.
atomic41

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am

Any chance they try to slide it back in?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 am

yukonjasper wrote:

Always a chance.

Senate GOP will not allow it though.

If they're going to get it in the conference bill, they have to do it by 5pm today. Its already been voted down once in conference committee - the entire GOP contingent would have to change their votes - I just don't see it happening.

It was not a hill to die on for the DFL in the budget/policy negotiations.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby westhope on Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 am

Anything can be introduced when the Governor calls a "Special Session", although there is usually an agreement what will be voted on.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 pm

bstrawse wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:

Always a chance.

Senate GOP will not allow it though.

If they're going to get it in the conference bill, they have to do it by 5pm today. Its already been voted down once in conference committee - the entire GOP contingent would have to change their votes - I just don't see it happening.

It was not a hill to die on for the DFL in the budget/policy negotiations.
b

Good work Bryan.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Sat May 25, 2019 1:04 pm

The Special Session has ended with no gun control.

Here's a brief video on Facebook from our political director Rob Doar recapping the last day:
https://www.facebook.com/gunownersmn/vi ... 0935225954

And here's a brief video on Facebook with Rob and Senator Paul Gazelka, the Majority Leader
https://www.facebook.com/gunownersmn/vi ... 4897797507

If you're happy with how this legislative session turned out - consider becoming a member by visiting http://gunowners.mn/join

Thanks for each of you that sent in letters, emails, and phone calls through our action center - or on your own - during the session.

Bryan Strawser
Chair, MN Gun Owners Caucus
bstrawse

Postby Citiot on Sat May 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks MNGOC for coordinating and leading.

I noted that Rob Doar was at the capital overtime throughout the session until the bitter end (wee hours of Saturday).

I laughed when the 'other' group did a video in Northfield, MN Veterans Memorial Park (NOT St. Paul) this morning stealing MNGOC's thunder. Hilarious. At least do a green screen with the capital dome in the background. Boooom!

While they were screaming "stabbed in the back!, betrayal!, 'they call him Mr. Rogers', gimme money, we forgot to file legal documents... etc", MNGOC was educating and lobbying AT THE CAPITAL. Well done!

To be fair, the 'other' group does stir up lots of people and gets people to write emails and make calls. But for level headed and logical unassailable information, thinking people trust MNGOC... the pro 2A and even the antis.

Again, WELL DONE!
Citiot

Postby Lumpy on Sat May 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for everyone's efforts.
Lumpy

Postby Randygmn on Sun May 26, 2019 8:07 am

A sincere thank you for your tireless work, Rob.
Randygmn

PreviousNext

Return to Politics