Night vision/thermal in Minnesota

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Night vision/thermal in Minnesota

Postby Ghost on Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 pm

I’m hearing that NV/thermal hunting for predators was added to the omnibus. Anybody have any further info and when will it be legal to use?
Ghost

Re: Night vision/thermal in Minnesota

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Ghost wrote:I’m hearing that NV/thermal hunting for predators was added to the omnibus. Anybody have any further info and when will it be legal to use?

I thought in mn one could not own a firearm and night vision.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:I’m hearing that NV/thermal hunting for predators was added to the omnibus. Anybody have any further info and when will it be legal to use?

I thought in mn one could not own a firearm and night vision.

97B.086 POSSESSING NIGHT VISION OR THERMAL IMAGING EQUIPMENT.
(a) A person may not possess night vision or thermal imaging equipment while taking
wild animals or while having in possession, either individually or as one of a group of
persons, a firearm, bow, or other implement that could be used to take wild animals.
(b) This section does not apply to a firearm that is:
(1) unloaded;
(2) in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm that fully encloses the firearm by
being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened without any portion of the
firearm exposed; and
(3) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.
(c) This section does not apply to a bow that is:
(1) completely encased or unstrung; and
(2) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.
(d) If the motor vehicle under paragraph (b) or (c) does not have a trunk, the firearm or
bow must be placed in the rearmost location of the vehicle.
(e) This section does not apply to night vision or thermal imaging equipment possessed
bynew text begin:
new text end
new text begin (1)new text end peace officers or military personnel while exercising their dutiesnew text begin; or
new text end
new text begin (2) a person taking coyote or fox as provided under section 97B.075 and rules adopted
under section 97B.605
new text end.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF4&type=bill&version=0&session=ls91&session_year=2019&session_number=1
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 am

Hi - yes, it was. Along with .410 for Turkey and a few other things.

August 1st, 2019 is the effective date.

This was an effort by the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus along with allies from "Legalize Nightvision" and both DFL and GOP members.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 am

So, it will be legal to use night vision an thermal imaging for hunting predators and varmints?

Sorry for being obtuse, just exciting news if its true.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 27, 2019 10:15 am

yukonjasper wrote:So, it will be legal to use night vision an thermal imaging for hunting predators and varmints?

Sorry for being obtuse, just exciting news if its true.

Yes, the revised law (SF7 is the bill that was passed) reads as follows:

97B.086 POSSESSING NIGHT VISION OR THERMAL IMAGING EQUIPMENT.
(a) A person may not possess night vision or thermal imaging equipment while taking
wild animals or while having in possession, either individually or as one of a group of
persons, a firearm, bow, or other implement that could be used to take wild animals.

(b) This section does not apply to a firearm that is:

(1) unloaded;

(2) in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm that fully encloses the firearm by
being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened without any portion of the
firearm exposed; and

(3) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

(c) This section does not apply to a bow that is:

(1) completely encased or unstrung; and

(2) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

(d) If the motor vehicle under paragraph (b) or (c) does not have a trunk, the firearm or
bow must be placed in the rearmost location of the vehicle.

(e) This section does not apply to night vision or thermal imaging equipment possessed
by:

(1) peace officers or military personnel while exercising their duties; or

(2) a person taking coyote or fox as provided under section 97B.075 and rules adopted
under section 97B.605.

The law takes effect on August 1st and DNR will need to adopt rules on their usage.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 am

bstrawse wrote:

Hi - yes, it was. Along with .410 for Turkey and a few other things.

August 1st, 2019 is the effective date.

This was an effort by the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus along with allies from "Legalize Nightvision" and both DFL and GOP members.

Bryan

Great news. Good job.
Ghost

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon May 27, 2019 10:39 am

Well here's my mea culpa. I was grousing on another thread about the Senate not hearing any pro gun bills. I guess it didn't have to be heard :)

I'd love to hear the back story, and who we should thank in the legislature that got the job done.

Thank you Bryan and Rob.
Jackpine Savage

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Awesome. Coyotes and fox hunters are rejoicing. Nice work. Now I have to get a scope.........and then get out to hunt........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Mon May 27, 2019 2:08 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Awesome. Coyotes and fox hunters are rejoicing. Nice work. Now I have to get a scope.........and then get out to hunt........

Need to get that grendel sorted out
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:Well here's my mea culpa. I was grousing on another thread about the Senate not hearing any pro gun bills. I guess it didn't have to be heard :)

I'd love to hear the back story, and who we should thank in the legislature that got the job done.

Thank you Bryan and Rob.

Some of these were in the Senate Environment & natural resources omnibus and some were in the House version -- they were heard individually earlier this session. Rob worked with both sides to get us to where we are.

In the special session, it was left in as part of the deal between the Speaker, GOvernor, and Majority Leader - and that's where we landed.

Like most stuff that isn't high profile - we kept this pretty quiet as to not have anti-gunners derail it ;)
b
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Nice! Well done!
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 27, 2019 7:09 pm

Ghost wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Awesome. Coyotes and fox hunters are rejoicing. Nice work. Now I have to get a scope.........and then get out to hunt........

Need to get that grendel sorted out

10-4, that's the plan.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 28, 2019 8:37 am

What are peoples preferred night vision scopes for varmints?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue May 28, 2019 10:50 am

Holland&Holland wrote:What are peoples preferred night vision scopes for varmints?

Thermal for scope. I have Flir.
Ghost

Next

Return to Hunting