FDLE has arrested former BSO deputy Scot Peterson.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

FDLE has arrested former BSO deputy Scot Peterson.

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Ryan Petty@rpetty FDLE has arrested former BSO deputy Scot Peterson.
D8PY2xOUwAAuxLA.jpeg

https://twitter.com/rpetty/status/1135989971398144000
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: FDLE has arrested former BSO deputy Scot Peterson.

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Wasn't expecting to read that today. Does a resource officer have more liability than a police officer? Will be interesting to see how it plays out through the legal challenges.
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Be interesting to see how this plays out with Supreme Court decisions, about there being no Duty to Protect for police officers.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 pm

The victims’ families want blood.
Holland&Holland

Postby INOR on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Pretty interesting. Would think this is all political on multiple levels. I wonder if it'll make it through trial or get tossed by a judge based on the SC history. It's clear that they want to make him culpable for what happened. First, because he didn't do anything and people were slaughtered over a LONG period of time while he sat there doing nothing. Second, and I really think this is the big driver, because he took away the anti-gunners argument that only cops should have guns because they're the only ones who can save anybody.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:20 pm

INOR wrote:Pretty interesting. Would think this is all political on multiple levels. I wonder if it'll make it through trial or get tossed by a judge based on the SC history. It's clear that they want to make him culpable for what happened. First, because he didn't do anything and people were slaughtered over a LONG period of time while he sat there doing nothing. Second, and I really think this is the big driver, because he took away the anti-gunners argument that only cops should have guns because they're the only ones who can save anybody.

Yep, this seems to be making the case for carrying for when he walks.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Going after this guy distracts from the numerous, multiple failures to recognize the shooter was ticking time bomb, mostly for pc reasons.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Ghost wrote:
INOR wrote:Pretty interesting. Would think this is all political on multiple levels. I wonder if it'll make it through trial or get tossed by a judge based on the SC history. It's clear that they want to make him culpable for what happened. First, because he didn't do anything and people were slaughtered over a LONG period of time while he sat there doing nothing. Second, and I really think this is the big driver, because he took away the anti-gunners argument that only cops should have guns because they're the only ones who can save anybody.

Yep, this seems to be making the case for carrying for when he walks.

Pretty sure it is the case for carrying now.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:23 am

I was watching a video somewhere and if I remember correctly they are not going after him as a cop, instead as a care giver which they have a state law for.

So I think there are charges of depraved indifference and such.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Grayskies wrote:I was watching a video somewhere and if I remember correctly they are not going after him as a cop, instead as a care giver which they have a state law for.

So teachers are required to enter a building with an active shooter? That seems like a difficult argument.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:16 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Grayskies wrote:I was watching a video somewhere and if I remember correctly they are not going after him as a cop, instead as a care giver which they have a state law for.

So teachers are required to enter a building with an active shooter? That seems like a difficult argument.

Two possibilities as I see it:

1) They believe they can win this.

2) They know they will lose this but need to be seen doing something.

As deplorable as this cop's behavior was I think Israel and Runcie hold much more of the blame.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:09 am

IIRC, Peterson was allowed to retire by Sheriff Israel. It was newly elected governor Ron DeSantis who sacked Sheriff Israel and started the ball rolling on charging Peterson.

DeSantis announced the suspension at the Broward Sheriff’s Office headquarters while the displaced former sheriff prepared his response from a church in northwest Fort Lauderdale.
“I have no interest in dancing on Scott Israel’s political grave,” DeSantis said of the Democratic former sheriff, “but suffice it to say the massacre might never have happened had Broward had better leadership in the sheriff’s department.”
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-ron-desantis-scott-israel-decision-20190110-story.html
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:IIRC, Peterson was allowed to retire by Sheriff Israel. It was newly elected governor Ron DeSantis who sacked Sheriff Israel and started the ball rolling on charging Peterson.

DeSantis announced the suspension at the Broward Sheriff’s Office headquarters while the displaced former sheriff prepared his response from a church in northwest Fort Lauderdale.
“I have no interest in dancing on Scott Israel’s political grave,” DeSantis said of the Democratic former sheriff, “but suffice it to say the massacre might never have happened had Broward had better leadership in the sheriff’s department.”
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-ron-desantis-scott-israel-decision-20190110-story.html

I just don’t see this working the way it should
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Ghost wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:IIRC, Peterson was allowed to retire by Sheriff Israel. It was newly elected governor Ron DeSantis who sacked Sheriff Israel and started the ball rolling on charging Peterson.

I just don’t see this working the way it should

Well obviously no need for any gun control. According to DeSantis all we need is competent sheriffs. Mass shooting
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News