College suspends mother for posing with gun. She's suing.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

College suspends mother for posing with gun. She's suing.

Postby jdege on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 pm

https://www.thecollegefix.com/college-suspends-young-mother-for-posing-with-gun-at-gun-range-shes-suing/
College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing.
Florida’s First Coast Technical College has a low view of the U.S. and state constitutions, according to a federal lawsuit by a student who says she’s been suspended indefinitely.

Dia’mon Dallas is suing the Florida college for violating her First and Fourteenth Amendment rights and retaliating against her in violation of the Florida Constitution, the Jacksonville Daily Record reports.

The college, which is part of the St. Johns County School District, suspended Dallas after another student reported a Facebook photo of her and her fiance “holding legally purchased and lawfully possessed firearms at a gun range in Palatka,” according to the lawsuit:
jdege

Re: College suspends mother for posing with gun. She's suing.

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Not sure how to feel about this. Judging from the picture in question, I'd say there may be more going on here than reported.
Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Spike on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Not sure how to feel about this. Judging from the picture in question, I'd say there may be more going on here than reported.

I looked at the picture and still can't figure out what law is being broken.

Holy ****! Black people with a gun!
Spike

Postby jdege on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Pointing a gun at a cameraman is violation of rule #1.

But pointing a gun at a camera is not.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Not sure how to feel about this. Judging from the picture in question, I'd say there may be more going on here than reported.

What's the guy have in his left hand?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 21.32.32.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 21.32.32.png (286.44 KB) Viewed 2934 times
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Grayskies on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Provided all things are as represented, I hope she bankrupts the college.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 pm

xd ED wrote:

What's the guy have in his left hand?

Thanks for the better pic, it looked fuzzed above so I thought it was something else entirely.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 am

At best, that picture with the caption “She’s my Bonnie and I’m her Clyde.” is in poor taste. At worst, it's a thinly vailed threat.

While I think the school overreacted, with today's hypersensitivity to school violence, I can see why they reacted the way they did.

As we're only getting her side of the story, I also suspect there's more going on here than is being reported.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:At best, that picture with the caption “She’s my Bonnie and I’m her Clyde.” is in poor taste. At worst, it's a thinly vailed threat.

People pose as famous figures for photos all the time, I don't see any threat here. Threat requires a target what/who is the target.

Rip Van Winkle wrote:While I think the school overreacted, with today's hypersensitivity to school violence, I can see why they reacted the way they did.

They are pictured at a range exercising a constitutional right, any other rights you can understand having people thrown out of college for exercising? Like, say, free speech maybe?

They tried to get Kyle Kashuv for posting pictures at a range. OMG he has a evil black rifle at a range, he must be threatening people and be tossed out of school soonest!!! OMG he is smiling like that Covington School student!!!

screen_shot_2018-04-25_at_1.17.32_pm.png

Should students dressed in black be suspended, how about if they have milk shakes?

Perhaps they should call the police on people that post pictures of guns or milk shakes on facebook for threatening people?

OMG look it's another child with a evil black rifle and a "Silencer" and OMG he killed a poor bambi!!! Better throw him out of school, also get child protective services and the police involved...

Screenshot_20190611-082719_Gallery.jpg

Will you understand when Leftists attack people in MAGA hats as they are obviously Violent Racist NAZIs and are obviously threatening Peaceful Kind Tolerant Leftists?

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 am

Grayskies wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:At best, that picture with the caption “She’s my Bonnie and I’m her Clyde.” is in poor taste. At worst, it's a thinly vailed threat.

People pose as famous figures for photos all the time, I don't see any threat here. Threat requires a target what/who is the target.

Rip Van Winkle wrote:While I think the school overreacted, with today's hypersensitivity to school violence, I can see why they reacted the way they did.

They are pictured at a range exercising a constitutional right, any other rights you can understand having people thrown out of college for exercising? Like, say, free speech maybe?

They tried to get Kyle Kashuv for posting pictures at a range. OMG he has a evil black rifle at a range, he must be threatening people and be tossed out of school soonest!!! OMG he is smiling like that Covington School student!!!

Should students dressed in black be suspended, how about if they have milk shakes?

Perhaps they should call the police on people that post pictures of guns or milk shakes on facebook for threatening people?

OMG look it's another child with a evil black rifle and a "Silencer" and OMG he killed a poor bambi!!! Better throw him out of school, also get child protective services and the police involved...

Will you understand when Leftists attack people in MAGA hats as they are obviously Violent Racist NAZIs and are obviously threatening Peaceful Kind Tolerant Leftists?

Wow, jump to conclusions much?

If you can't see the difference between the posted pictures nothing I can say will change your mind.

I'll go out on a limb here and make a prediction. 1) There's more going on here than we're being told. and 2) Her lawsuit will be thrown out because of #1.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby xd ED on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:42 am

Grayskies wrote:

It is said the photo in question was at a 'range'.
You might not see a threat, but of the three examples, which would get your attention if you came upon it in real life; either at a range or in the field?

You ever been to a gun range that would tolerate the exhibited behavior of that pair?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 am

xd ED wrote:It is said the photo in question was at a 'range'.
You might not see a threat, but of the three examples, which would get your attention if you came upon it in real life; either at a range or in the field?

You ever been to a gun range that would tolerate the exhibited behavior of that pair?

I would have attempted to correct the behavior, I would not have tried to get her thrown out of college or fired or...

We know nothing about any safety precautions that might or might not have been taken. The camera might have been on a tripod or range table and down range, I see video like that all the time on Youtube.

Since when is it acceptable to throw students out of college for posting pictures of stupid behavior? I would suspect colleges would be empty if that standard was adopted.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby xd ED on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 am

Grayskies wrote:
xd ED wrote:It is said the photo in question was at a 'range'.

I would have attempted to correct the behavior, I would not have tried to get her thrown out of college or fired or...

We know nothing about any safety precautions that might or might not have been taken. The camera might have been on a tripod or range table and down range, I see video like that all the time on Youtube.

Since when is it acceptable to throw students out of college for posting pictures of stupid behavior? I would suspect colleges would be empty if that standard was adopted.

Thus far we have not heard an official response from the school. We have third hand statements about what and why the school said and did.
i am curious to learn how the suspension is a violation of the 14th Amendment, or even the 2nd Amendment for that matter.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rtk on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:28 am

A picture is worth a thousands words...

It’s looks like a wad of bills in his hand.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am

There's a lot of wild speculation of what's going on in this story.

Going back and rereading the 3 articles I can find about this, there are only 2 facts. A photo was published on Twitter, and a lawsuit was filed. Everything else is wildassed speculation based on the woman's word.

Now, the woman could be as honest as the day is long, or she could be lying for money and attention. We don't know!

But seeing as this is the internet, please carry on with the mindless ranting. :lol:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/college-suspends-young-mother-for-posing-with-gun-at-gun-range-shes-suing/
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/lawsuit-student-suspended-because-of-photo-with-firearm
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/st-augustine-student-says-she-was-suspended-indefinitely-over-gun-photo/951904627?fbclid=IwAR3kjK1muBl-1APuaiG7uyJE6bgH134bw9u6xfY5s1w1aWhpFdeBRngIUtM
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Next

Return to In The News