optic selection

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

optic selection

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:36 pm

done
Last edited by LarryFlew on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Help with optic selection

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:30 pm

I bought a used 1911 with a JPoint mounted on it few years back. Two things from my experience:
- it was on a mount that fit into existing sight dovetail that made it sit considerably higher, it was hard to get used to
- I learned that I have mild astigmatism, as the nice dot is more of a small “star” to me

So in the end, I took the JPoint off and installed a Fiber Optic front with black rear.

When I decide to try this again, I will definitely get a pistol with a pre-milled slide or send one of my pistols to get the slide milled so the optic sits lower.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Help with optic selection

Postby TSKNIGHT on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:11 pm

I have a Holosun 507c on a G17.
I put it on my Buckmark last summer to try it out before I spent the money to mill the slide on the G17.
It got banged around quite a bit and works perfectly. I like the shake awake feature too.

The Holosun has the same mounting as the Trijicon RMR at almost half the price.
TSKNIGHT

Postby skippyjlo on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:38 pm

I have used vortex venoms (3 moa dots) on 3 different guns. I have been very happy with them. You might get a crisper dot by spending more money but considering the price, and lifetime warranty I dont think you can go wrong with a venom. All have stayed sighted in, great battery life, and adjustable brightness is great for "precision" shooting and quick target acquisition. I haven't tried a 6 moa version but I dont think I'd like it. 6 moa I believe means it's going to cover 1.5" at 25yds and thats too big imo for shooting groups or sighting in.
skippyjlo

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:28 am

I have three Burris units and really like them. Features I looked for were dot size, manual brightness adjustment and ease of battery replacement. I run one on a 34 MOS, one on 625 and the last on a 929.
mmcnx2

Return to Accessories