Moving a safe, ideas?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Moving a safe, ideas?

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Moving a safe from one room to another due to recarpeting.

I managed to get it on an appliance dolly but tipping it back and rolling it looks like a no go. Any ideas? Oh and the carpet guys are coming Tuesday.

Appreciate any advice.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Moving a safe, ideas?

Postby MJY65 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:05 pm

I chose a slightly different approach. Moved the safe a few feet, cut the carpet out of that area, put a piece of 1/2" plywood an inch smaller than the safe on the floor and pushed it back on top. The new carpet (and any future replacements) tuck under the edge of the safe and look like they go completely under. It is also more stable on the wood platform than on carpet.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Could always hire a mover
Ghost

Postby westhope on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:17 pm

I moved my safe by myself. I cut several pieces of 1-1/2 or 2 inch PVC the width of the base. Tipped the safe up to put the pieces under it and rolled it along the floor moving the pieces of PVC as they rolled from under the base. If needed, you can put 2x4's under the base if the base is hollow. To go around corners just change the direction of the rollers. I moved a 36 gun safe this way, of course I removed the guns first.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:26 pm

westhope wrote:I moved my safe by myself. I cut several pieces of 1-1/2 or 2 inch PVC the width of the base. Tipped the safe up to put the pieces under it and rolled it along the floor moving the pieces of PVC as they rolled from under the base. If needed, you can put 2x4's under the base if the base is hollow. To go around corners just change the direction of the rollers. I moved a 36 gun safe this way, of course I removed the guns first.

I've done similar. I used a few old broom/mop handles, the wood variety.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

I just remembered another time when I borrowed a piano dolly from our school. You should be able to rent them down there, they work pretty slick.

https://www.kennebecrental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=69&key=DP
Jackpine Savage

Postby Ghost on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:I just remembered another time when I borrowed a piano dolly from our school. You should be able to rent them down there, they work pretty slick.

https://www.kennebecrental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=69&key=DP

Closer to home.

https://www.crownrent.com/m/equipment.asp?action=category&category=56
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm

I do like that Air Sled. I will have to call the rental company in the morning. It will be going over carpet, so thinking i could use a plastic office chair pad.

I am wondering if a pallet jack would work, but the carpet would probably need plywood under to work.

Awesome suggestions. Thank you. Like my Dad used to say, two heads are better than one even if one is a pumpkin head.
Yukon "Pumpkin Head" Jasper
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby linksep on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Take the door off - It probably just lifts off when open and is probably greater than 25% of the total (empty) weight of the safe.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:38 am

westhope wrote:I moved my safe by myself. I cut several pieces of 1-1/2 or 2 inch PVC the width of the base. Tipped the safe up to put the pieces under it and rolled it along the floor moving the pieces of PVC as they rolled from under the base. If needed, you can put 2x4's under the base if the base is hollow. To go around corners just change the direction of the rollers. I moved a 36 gun safe this way, of course I removed the guns first.

This is how I rolled an 1100# safe out of a room and to the garage service door. I used closet rod cut into approx 18" lengths and put plywood down over the carpet and ceramic tile floor on the path out. Worked very slick. Fortunately the service door was about 6" higher than the garage and I was able to roll the safe right out onto a waiting pallet jack.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 am

I'll echo the others here that said to use dowels or pipes to roll the safe on. I've moved 850 pound safes myself using this method, although it is still easier with two people. One person can tip the safe back, the other kicks the wooden dowel underneath it. Use about 4 to move it smoothly, just keep transferring the one from the backside around to the front as you move it. Nice and easy, maybe $10 in materials. This is a great demo on why bolting safes down is so important once you get them to where they need to be.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:46 am

I think what you may want to try and rent is what’s called a stair step dolly. A appliance dolly is asking for a disaster when trying to move that kind of weight of a real safe. Trying to balance the weight could get ugly fast.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am

Two big linebackers?
Holland&Holland

Postby Inspiribomb on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Just moved my 1100 pound Amsec. We first removed the door to reduce the weight. I laid down 2x4’s, then had some steel conduit cut to length and was able to roll the safe on them. Worked great and nobody got hurt.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Update:
-door does not come off- bummer
- rented the air sleds but didn't use them.
- carpet installers recommended nylon pads for the 4 corners of the safe an push it where i needed.
- worked well.
-will return the air sled, down $40, never got it hooked up, maybe next time.

Thanks all for the input. Very much appreciated
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Return to General Gun Chat