Not the way to write a Supreme Court brief....

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm

https://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2019/08/not_the_way_to_.php
I refer to this brief, filed on behalf of some anti-2A legislators, with a Senator as counsel (or ostensible counsel, nobody in DC with any power writes their stuff).

First argument heading: "The Court Should Reject Petitioners' Efforts To Re-Enlist It In A Political "Project.""

In other words, they don't want SCOTUS interfering with the progressive political project.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/112010/20190812151259076_18-280bsacSenatorSheldonWhitehouse.pdf

BRIEF OF SENATORS SHELDON WHITEHOUSE, MAZIE HIRONO, RICHARD BLUMENTHAL, RICHARD DURBIN, AND KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND AS AMICI CURIAE IN SUPPORT OF RESPONDENTS

Looks like Sheldon Whitehouse is the author.
jdege

Re: Not the way to write a Supreme Court brief....

Postby Lumpy on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:19 pm

The LEFT complaining about political influence of and by the court??? And in other news, North Korea criticizes US border detention camps.

That aside, I'm not sure just what they're trying to be AMICI CURIAE of; the heading says NEW YORK STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ASSOCIATION, INC.,ET AL.,Petitioners, v. CITY OF NEW YORK, NEW YORK, ET AL. Respondents. But as far as I can see they don't even mention the case in question; they're basically saying "It's a plot! A conspiracy! Don't listen to them!"
Lumpy

Return to In The News