Florida gun owner ... convicted in 'Stand Your Ground' case

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Grayskies on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:21 am

Florida gun owner who claimed self-defense convicted in 'Stand Your Ground' case
In a case that brought national attention to Florida’s "Stand Your Ground" gun law, a jury on Friday night convicted a licensed gun owner on manslaughter charges after deliberating for six hours following a weeklong trial.

The defendant, Michael Drejka, was accused of killing Markeis McGlockton in the parking lot of a convenience store in Clearwater on July 19, 2018, after arguing with McGlockton's girlfriend over a handicapped parking space. Drejka claimed he fatally shot McGlockton in self-defense.

In surveillance video played for the jury, McGlockton is seen emerging from the store and shoving Drejka to the ground. Seconds later, Drejka pulls out Glock .40-caliber handgun and shoots McGlockton, 28, as he turned away.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-mich ... mcglockton
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: Florida gun owner ... convicted in 'Stand Your Ground' case

Postby Sorcerer on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:27 pm

I feel the jury got it right. I don’t know how the Florida law is written but I am going to guess he still needs to be an unwilling participant. Plus there may be a disparity of force issue.
Sorcerer

Postby Ironbear on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:29 pm

"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Sorcerer wrote:I feel the jury got it right. I don’t know how the Florida law is written but I am going to guess he still needs to be an unwilling participant. Plus there may be a disparity of force issue.

But should that be the case?
Holland&Holland

Postby Sorcerer on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:00 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:I feel the jury got it right. I don’t know how the Florida law is written but I am going to guess he still needs to be an unwilling participant. Plus there may be a disparity of force issue.

But should that be the case?

When this first hit the news and they showed the video I felt the shooter was a sore loser and fired his gun to quickly. I was a bit surprised when they at first said no charges. I thought, lucky b_stard. That was until county attorneys office filled charges. I’m not at all surprised he was convicted. The shooter was already in a agitated state of mind when confronted by the deceased and lucky it was only a charge of manslaughter. As I was hammered again and again in my first carry class and subsequent classes, my name is _ _ , I will make a statement AFTER I consult my lawyer. This guy convicted himself.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:42 am

I agree that is the current system we live under.

Just because that is the law though does that really make it "right"?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I agree that is the current system we live under.

From what I understand of this incident, the individual instigated the confrontation, then shot his adversary in the back, as that adversary was retreating.

Do you find that morally just?

From a legal/ political standpoint, the conviction of the shooter demonstrates the law's integrity, and thus strengthens SYG, and its underlying principle.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 pm

xd ED wrote:

From what I understand of this incident, the individual instigated the confrontation, then shot his adversary in the back, as that adversary was retreating.

From a legal/ political standpoint, the conviction of the shooter demonstrates the law's integrity, and thus strengthens SYG, and its underlying principle.

From the video I saw on the national news last night (and previous videos) it appeared the guy that got shot, had backed away from the guy on the ground (the shooter) but was still facing him, when he was shot. He did not appear to be going at the shooter in any type of further aggression.

I believe this could have been handled far better by both people involved. Unfortunately, one lost his life, and the other is losing his freedom. All because the third person ( the female ) parked in a handicap spot, without a handicap parking permit.

It's a bad situation no matter how we look at it.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:34 pm

xd ED wrote:

I am not going to spend the time digging to far into this one but from what I understand, the "victim" was a drugged up douche bag, I am not gonna shed any tears for him. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ironbear on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:22 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I am not going to spend the time digging to far into this one but from what I understand, the "victim" was a drugged up douche bag, I am not gonna shed any tears for him. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

And the trial brought out claims that the "shooter" had, in the past, allegedly threatened to shoot people under non-deadly threat circumstances. Personally I don't know if he is one of those people who dig a hole with his mouth and climb out with his gun... but apparently he convinced the jury of something of that nature. Looking from the outside in, through the (*clear and unvarnished truth of the) media, it seems like a "dig-a-hole" personality, met someone with a spare shovel.

*<sarcasm>!

ps: I kind of like these kinds of stories... it provides me with an opportunity to talk with my kid about the idea that self-control and discipline is one of the the most important lessons he can learn in life.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Return to In The News