Democrats frown on targeting gang databases with 'red flag'

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Democrats frown on targeting gang databases with 'red flag'

Postby jdege on Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:24 am

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/democrats-frown-on-targeting-gang-databases-with-red-flag-laws
Democrats frown on targeting gang databases with 'red flag' laws
Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee amended the measure during a Wednesday mark-up to authorize the federal government to issue extreme risk protection orders in some instances, but they rejected an amendment that would have red-flagged anyone who law enforcement lists as a gang member.

“The majority of violent crime, including gun violence, in the United States is linked to gangs,” Rep. Ken Buck, a Colorado Republican who sponsored the amendment, said Wednesday. “My amendment is quite simple. It would allow the issuance of a red flag order against anyone whose name appears in a gang database if there was probable cause to include that individual in the database.”
jdege

Re: Democrats frown on targeting gang databases with 'red flag'

Postby Grayskies on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 am

I have to agree with the dems, the government seems really bad at keeping accurate lists and too often it is too easy to get on one and all but impossible to get off even if it is obvious the government is in error.

This list stuff can get abused easily, red flag needs to require due process and have some way for a wronged person to recover costs like legal fees and penalties for those that abuse red flags.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby ex-LT on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 am

Hey! We finally found a Red Flag law that the Democrats oppose! :lol:
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:59 am

ex-LT wrote:Hey! We finally found a Red Flag law that the Democrats oppose! :lol:

Seems like opposing "sensible gun" control to me :P
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:19 am

100% makes sense to prevent gang members from having guns, but due process is a thing that needs to be respected, even for people we "know" are bad people. Otherwise, if someone "knows" we're bad people, what's to stop them from giving us the same unfair treatment?
andrewP

Postby jdege on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:39 am

andrewP wrote:100% makes sense to prevent gang members from having guns, but due process is a thing that needs to be respected, even for people we "know" are bad people. Otherwise, if someone "knows" we're bad people, what's to stop them from giving us the same unfair treatment?

We actually debated this issue when trying to get MN's shall-issue law passed.
The Dems wanted being listed in the gang database to be grounds for denial.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 am

andrewP wrote:100% makes sense to prevent gang members from having guns, but due process is a thing that needs to be respected, even for people we "know" are bad people. Otherwise, if someone "knows" we're bad people, what's to stop them from giving us the same unfair treatment?

Of course, that is what makes this so ironic. To the dem way of thinking if you legally own guns there is something wrong with you and they must be confiscated. If you are in a gang database it is due to long term ingrained social racism and you were just turning your life around.
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:23 pm

jdege wrote:We actually debated this issue when trying to get MN's shall-issue law passed.
The Dems wanted being listed in the gang database to be grounds for denial.

I could see it being grounds for a more detailed look at a person before making a decision (they've got 30 days to approve or deny, after all), but denial on its own? Probably not, and if we must err, I'd rather err on the side of freedom, so I'm glad MN's law turned out the way it did in regard to that point.
andrewP

Postby MJY65 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:58 am

I agree.

Some future Democrat will want to declare the NRA a terrorist organization as many of them now claim, then "the list" will include many of us.
MJY65

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:21 am

MJY65 wrote:I agree.

Some future Democrat will want to declare the NRA a terrorist organization as many of them now claim, then "the list" will include many of us.

They already did
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:36 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
MJY65 wrote:I agree.

They already did

Yes, I mean officially by Executive Order
MJY65

Return to In The News