Texas officer who fatally shot woman in her home arrested...

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Texas officer who fatally shot woman in her home arrested...

Postby Grayskies on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:10 pm

Texas officer who fatally shot woman in her home arrested on murder charges
The police officer who fatally shot a Fort Worth, Texas, woman in her home while answering a call for a welfare check has been arrested on murder charges. The charge comes after the officer abruptly resigned on Monday just before he was about to be fired for allegedly violating multiple department policies, the police chief said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/demand-justic ... d=66261203

To me this is a scary incident! If I heard noises I would probably grab a gun and then look about.

This seems to happening a lot lately, not sure if there is more of it happening or just more media coverage?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: Texas officer who fatally shot woman in her home arrested...

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:34 am

Just more media coverage in the post Obama anti cop era.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 am

I also think the mental makeup of young officers is very different.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

While not as overwhelmingly as in the past, I read somewhere that most LEO’s never draw their weapon in the line of duty during their career.

To hear many folks talk, all cops are under fire day in and day out.

If the cops believe that, it explains their high level of jumpiness and why we are seeing more and more questionable shootings.

When someone becomes more concerned about surviving his shift than getting his job done right, he probably doesn’t fit in with a career in law enforcement anymore. Problem is getting those guys out of it.

I know lots of cops. They are folks like the rest of us, with a bit more responsibility than most.
crbutler

Postby smurfman on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Actually, it is most officers never fire their guns in the line of duty. A firearm is regularly drawn for clearing buildings, high risk stops, shots fired/man with gun, arrests for certain types of warrants, and many similar circumstances. I know one officer that went his career without a fight of any sort but he had unholstered his sidearm or pulled a long gun many times. Having a firearm in hand, even if not actually pointing it at a suspect, has stopped a lot of problems from escalating.

I spent a brief period of my life as a police officer. I have been in a similar position myself. The advantage I had was the residence was one I knew the occupant very well and was able to recognize him in the dim light. He also stopped instantly and did not make any sudden moves when I first saw and challenged him. Someone I didn't know and spun quickly toward me when told to stop may have had a different result.

I reserved judgement at first though the news report looked bad for the officer. That charges were brought, it appears the officer may have reacted poorly. I read the original story but not the follow ups so do not know what exact charges were brought more what they actually mean. The statutory definition of these charges may correspond with manslaughter or something else in Minnesota. That would seem more appropriate on the surface.
smurfman

Return to In The News