2019 Youth Firearms Deer Season - Oct. 17-20

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: 2019 Youth Firearms Deer Season - Oct. 17-20

Postby BigBlue on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pm

smurfman wrote:$200 was the price of a 12 ga 870 Wingmaster in the fall of 1982 at Joe's Sporting Goods. I remember as it was $20 less than what I paid 5 years earlier for a 20 ga Wingmaster from the local hardware store. It taught me the value of checking around for prices. I paid $79 for my first 10/22 in 1987 as that was when Wal-Mart came to town and I had the local K-Mart price match. The manager was not happy to do so and was even less so when I used the family discount card to get an additional 10% off. The 336 was from K-Mart in 1984 or 1985 and was regular price.

Neither of those prices sounds right. In the 1984 timeframe, give or take a year, I bought both a Rem 1100 and a Ruger 10/22. I'm pretty sure the 1100 was something over $300 and the Ruger was at least $150. And I was a pretty good bargain finder. I know the 1100 is not an 870, but they weren't that much different in price.
BigBlue

Postby smurfman on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I thought you said they could not afford $500? Yet now you say they have discretionary income.

Also, no one in there mid 40s was buying guns in 1982 unless it used rolls of caps.

Get adults out if you want you should have plenty of funds to do so with your firearm investments. But, don't poo poo those of us who get kids out.

My wife's step mother lives in government funded assisted living, she has discretionary income but a mere $50 would seem a fortune to her.

discretionary income is just that, one's choice. If one cannot justify the expenditure to themselves of one thing over another then it is unaffordable regardless of the cost of the first item or the income of the person. That may be a difficult idea to some but I learned it in a high school economics class. I also learned it with my foray into golf. It was fun in my early teens as dad picked up the tab but when he decided I should pay my own way I dropped it. I had the clubs, balls, tees, etc but the cost was not worth the fees.

I bought my first firearm at 13 years of age, my dad may have filled out the 4473 but every penny of the purchase price was earned by me. I know many that have similar stories. Other than an air rifle and my dad's single shot 22 he gave to me upon graduating FAS, I bought every firearm I owned until my 40s.

Please point out where I have denigrated youth programs or stated youth were important? I believe I stated they were but their payoff is further down the line rather than immediate. That is true with youths in general as those starting out in the world tend to have a greater impact later in their lives than early. I have stated there is a demographic that is NOT being reached or addressed which could make an immediate contribution therefore should be courted.

I have also agreed with some that the youth hunting seasons are mostly "singing to the choir" in that the majority those making most use of them have already started their hunting career. Modifying the seasons and/or regulations to include those of all ages in a start in hunting will cast a larger net to include some that have the ability to dive in.

This is a sales job: which do you go after- the ones dependent on the whims of the money holders or the the ones holding the money? I know H&H will bring up something about me buying my own guns so the kids will do so too but the reason I (and others I knew) could afford our own guns was due to someone else picking up the tab for our food, clothing, lodging, transportation, medical, education, and other expenses. My shooting funds did take a good hit when I bought my first car as that absorbed a lot of my "spare" money. College ate up even more and many I knew stopped shooting at this point of which a significant portion did not pick it up later due to job, family, and other reasons.
smurfman

Postby striped1 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am

I maintain youth seasons came about partly, if not largely, so that adults (some)can leave the kids at home during the regular season. They can go act like a fool with their buddies at deer camp and not have kids around. There is nothing preventing anyone from taking a kid hunting during the regular season. No one has refuted that point.
Youth seasons are superfluous. No kid is denied the legal opportunity from hunting the regular season. Just take a kid hunting. Youth seasons are not needed. They actually take away opportunities from people who actually paid money for the legal right to hunt during that time period.
striped1

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:56 am

smurfman wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I thought you said they could not afford $500? Yet now you say they have discretionary income.

Also, no one in there mid 40s was buying guns in 1982 unless it used rolls of caps.

Get adults out if you want you should have plenty of funds to do so with your firearm investments. But, don't poo poo those of us who get kids out.

My wife's step mother lives in government funded assisted living, she has discretionary income but a mere $50 would seem a fortune to her.

discretionary income is just that, one's choice. If one cannot justify the expenditure to themselves of one thing over another then it is unaffordable regardless of the cost of the first item or the income of the person. That may be a difficult idea to some but I learned it in a high school economics class. I also learned it with my foray into golf. It was fun in my early teens as dad picked up the tab but when he decided I should pay my own way I dropped it. I had the clubs, balls, tees, etc but the cost was not worth the fees.

I bought my first firearm at 13 years of age, my dad may have filled out the 4473 but every penny of the purchase price was earned by me. I know many that have similar stories. Other than an air rifle and my dad's single shot 22 he gave to me upon graduating FAS, I bought every firearm I owned until my 40s.

Please point out where I have denigrated youth programs or stated youth were important? I believe I stated they were but their payoff is further down the line rather than immediate. That is true with youths in general as those starting out in the world tend to have a greater impact later in their lives than early. I have stated there is a demographic that is NOT being reached or addressed which could make an immediate contribution therefore should be courted.

I have also agreed with some that the youth hunting seasons are mostly "singing to the choir" in that the majority those making most use of them have already started their hunting career. Modifying the seasons and/or regulations to include those of all ages in a start in hunting will cast a larger net to include some that have the ability to dive in.

This is a sales job: which do you go after- the ones dependent on the whims of the money holders or the the ones holding the money? I know H&H will bring up something about me buying my own guns so the kids will do so too but the reason I (and others I knew) could afford our own guns was due to someone else picking up the tab for our food, clothing, lodging, transportation, medical, education, and other expenses. My shooting funds did take a good hit when I bought my first car as that absorbed a lot of my "spare" money. College ate up even more and many I knew stopped shooting at this point of which a significant portion did not pick it up later due to job, family, and other reasons.

Boom, mike drop, out.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Young Minnesota hunter, 11, bags 12-point buck on her very first hunt
Watch out, deer: There’s a new hunter in town and, and despite being a pre-teen, she’s a heck of a shot.

The 11-year-old girl in Minnesota surprised even her father when she bagged an impressive 12-point buck last week. Making the feat even more impressive, it was the young girl’s first time shooting on a hunt.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... first-hunt

There is a photo @ the link.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Grayskies wrote:Young Minnesota hunter, 11, bags 12-point buck on her very first hunt
Watch out, deer: There’s a new hunter in town and, and despite being a pre-teen, she’s a heck of a shot.

The 11-year-old girl in Minnesota surprised even her father when she bagged an impressive 12-point buck last week. Making the feat even more impressive, it was the young girl’s first time shooting on a hunt.

Nice deer. Did not see in the story what part of the state.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:10 pm

It was from their Chisago City backwoods, 10 minutes from home, Lilly and her dad put their target practice to use, thanks to Lilly’s good eye.

https://www.fox9.com/news/minnesota-gir ... me-hunting
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Any stats on success rate from the weekend?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:21 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Any stats on success rate from the weekend?

I heard they got every trophy deer in the state and all participants surveyed stated there was nothing left to accomplish so they were hanging it up and taking up golf. Dicks is letting them trade in there guns for a set of starter clubs.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 am

Grayskies wrote:Young Minnesota hunter, 11, bags 12-point buck on her very first hunt

Thanks for posting that, I no longer subscribe to TV or get a paper so had not know that picture made the news. I had that picture emailed/texted to me a half dozen times on Saturday. I turkey hunt and fill doe tags in the immediate area and know the area relatively well. It produces some big bucks as I know one of the neighbor's can attest- he has taken three bucks of that size in the last 5 years and his son in law has taken a handful more over a longer time in that area.

That neighbor texted me the first photo asking if it was shot from one of my stands. I told him "no" but I might have heard the shot. I added it looked like it was "his" buck and his wife got a break from having to look at another dead deer head. That got a good laugh.
smurfman

Previous

Return to Hunting