450 Bushmaster

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

450 Bushmaster

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Anyone have one in a AR setup? After comparing this, 458 SOCOM and the 50 Beowulf, if I did get a big bore AR, this will probably be it. All 3 close in most respects but from what I have found so far, the 450 is a flatter shooting bullet. Am still reading more comparisons. So if you do have one, chime in with your thoughts. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Re: 450 Bushmaster

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:06 pm

I decided to go then.458 Socom route. If you go back on your decision at all I can weigh in on that one.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks. Still just toying with the idea. Already have a 12.5 inch 308 AR so not sure if a bigger boomer would be worth it. Just got out of the grendel so have a bare lower looking for an upper. Could sell that but with current environment, should hang on to it.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks. Still just toying with the idea. Already have a 12.5 inch 308 AR so not sure if a bigger boomer would be worth it. Just got out of the grendel so have a bare lower looking for an upper. Could sell that but with current environment, should hang on to it.

Never sell :D
Holland&Holland

Postby 870TC on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 am

450 bushmaster magazines....few options, I read about alot of magazine issues. 458 socom=lancer 5.56 mags are supposedly the way to go
870TC

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:43 am

870TC wrote:450 bushmaster magazines....few options, I read about alot of magazine issues. 458 socom=lancer 5.56 mags are supposedly the way to go

yuppers
Holland&Holland

Postby VMAX97 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Anyone have one in a AR setup? After comparing this, 458 SOCOM and the 50 Beowulf, if I did get a big bore AR, this will probably be it. All 3 close in most respects but from what I have found so far, the 450 is a flatter shooting bullet. Am still reading more comparisons. So if you do have one, chime in with your thoughts. Thanks.

I fell into a great deal on Beowulf brass, dies and bullets from someone that went 458 SOCOM (he wanted subsonic and suppressed), so I went with the Beowulf even though the .450 bushmaster has better ballistics. I was at the range with mine and a local gunshop owner mentioned that the kick on the .450 was one reason people went Beowulf or 458. My Beo hits 6 inch steel at 200 yards with 460gr lead semi wadcutters, so I am very happy as is.
VMAX97

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm

VMAX97 wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Anyone have one in a AR setup? After comparing this, 458 SOCOM and the 50 Beowulf, if I did get a big bore AR, this will probably be it. All 3 close in most respects but from what I have found so far, the 450 is a flatter shooting bullet. Am still reading more comparisons. So if you do have one, chime in with your thoughts. Thanks.

I fell into a great deal on Beowulf brass, dies and bullets from someone that went 458 SOCOM (he wanted subsonic and suppressed), so I went with the Beowulf even though the .450 bushmaster has better ballistics. I was at the range with mine and a local gunshop owner mentioned that the kick on the .450 was one reason people went Beowulf or 458. My Beo hits 6 inch steel at 200 yards with 460gr lead semi wadcutters, so I am very happy as is.

Big bore thumpers are such fun!
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:55 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
VMAX97 wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Anyone have one in a AR setup? ....... Thanks.

My Beo hits 6 inch steel at 200 yards with 460gr lead semi wadcutters, so I am very happy as is.

Big bore thumpers are such fun!

My 0.5105" 808 grain brass solid Big Bore Thumper is 50BMG in an AR setup - - - - An AR-50 setup that is. (to be correct)
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
My 0.5105" 808 grain brass solid Big Bore Thumper is 50BMG in an AR setup - - - - An AR-50 setup that is. (to be correct)

That is more than a thumper.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:29 pm

So what is a thumper defined as?

A .44 mag M92 lever gun?

A .44 mag ruger carbine?

A 9# .470 NE double?

A 9# .50 Beowulf AR?

A 20 lb .50 BMG target rifle?

A 36# .50 BMG semi

Or a 70 ton 120mm smoothbore (AKA M1 Abrams)

Or are you trying for Jeff Cooper’s thumper concept (essentially a chopped M1 carbine shooting heavy for caliber .45 pistol bullets)
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:02 pm

crbutler wrote:So what is a thumper defined as?

A .44 mag M92 lever gun?

A .44 mag ruger carbine?

A 9# .470 NE double?

A 9# .50 Beowulf AR?

A 20 lb .50 BMG target rifle?

A 36# .50 BMG semi

Or a 70 ton 120mm smoothbore (AKA M1 Abrams)

Or are you trying for Jeff Cooper’s thumper concept (essentially a chopped M1 carbine shooting heavy for caliber .45 pistol bullets)

Whatever you want it to be. Was giving the king of long range some respect. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:12 pm

I had a big thumper 50 BMG with a 22 inch barrel. Down graded to. 338LM. Due to 2 back surgeries, the initial jolt after pulling the trigger was just to much for my back. Hated to get rid of them. I figured an AR thumper wouldn’t be that bad. So, since users from all 3 have chimed in, is this a bad idea to consider one of these for someone with back surgeries? My lowest 6 discs are fused and still have the hardware in my back from the second fusion. Appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm

With a good break and the right stock I would think it would be more push than jolt.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 am

As far as shooting large bore rifles...

Take this for what it is worth. My experiences.

First, the higher end recoil wise.

I find the recoil of a .416 Rigby hunting rifle from the bench tolerable, but not fun. As in I can get by 10-20 or so rounds for checking ammo and checking zero in one range session.

I wouldn't do that with a fused neck. I shot it once from prone when a hunt required it. That was decidedly unpleasant. That I wouldn't do if I had back or neck problems... no game animal is worth that risk.

The same rifle off shooting sticks or standing supported is not unpleasant at all. I wouldn't be concerned about someone who has been cleared by their surgeon to shoot it in that manner. By comparison, my bad weather DG gun is a .416 Remington. Its a full pound lighter. With the muzzle brake off it is much less fun to shoot than the Rigby. With the brake (which is small) its about the same as the Rigby.

My .470 NE double rifle is decidedly unpleasant from the bench. Given that it doesn't regulate from the bench, I always shoot it from standing (with sticks if checking things). Standing, while it moves you around (most newer guys who try it take a step back on firing) I don't think shooting that from standing is a problem for a fused back.

The .375 H&H rifle is by comparison a pussycat. I have no issue with shooting a box or two of ammo from the bench with it. Standing is a nonissue at all. This is in a 9# sporter.

I've shot a single shot AR 50 with a big brake this was from a bench. No where near as bad as any of the above, excepting the .375. This was about a 20# rifle.

My Barrett 82 is a 36# piece with a big brake as well. I have only shot this from prone. It is not at all unpleasant and I have had friend's 12 year old daughters shoot it with no complaint. This has a lot of muzzle blast, but felt recoil is like someone pushing you back on the shoulder with a pillow.

A .378 Weatherby is not a fun thing to shoot at all. The recoil is rather hard, and VERY sharp. See the above, and I shot exactly 2 rounds through one, and will be happy to never shoot one again. A better stock might help some, but I don't see a need.

Now to more germane...

A .300 Ultra mag sporter (about 7-8#) is somewhat sharp and unpleasant from the bench. Its still sharp from standing, but not horrible.

I have a .300 Win Mag M70- this has a brake and a suppressor. With the brake, from the bench, its like a .30-06 (its not a big brake, more a hunting style one). With the suppressor, its like a .22-250.

.45-70 is less than the .300, but more a push. With the metal butt plates I have on mine (Sharps reproduction, Win 1886) they do cause some shoulder discomfort with 500 grain loads- but with 400 grain black powder, they are less unpleasant than a .30-06.

.44 mag carbine (Ruger or M92) is a jump, but not painful at all. about like a .410 shotgun.

9mm AR style rifle- more than a .22 RF but insignificant.

So, my rather long winded way of stating all this is-

I would not worry about shooting a bigger gun from field positions despite your surgery.

I would not shoot over a .300 without a good brake for anything prolonged from a bench with your surgery. This includes the various big bore AR's. They won't slap you, but they DO move you around. If you are locked into a position where you can't move, they will cause some muscle pain after shooting. My suspicion is that you could have gotten a suppressor or a big target style brake like they put on the .50 rifles, added weight to it and shot it from a bipod with your .338 Lapua and you wouldn't have had much trouble. The biggest issue is using a bench. You are taking the full recoil force with your spine, and it is moving through it. I am sure the .50 target guys will confirm- with a heavy brake and a heacy rifle, the .50 target guns are not that bad at recoil, and I know more than a few physically handicapped guys who shoot .50 BMG target guns.

You will probably not like any of the above AR style big bores if your idea of fun is sitting at a bench and whacking steel at longer ranges for long periods of time. From a field position, it won't bother you nearly as much. For 10 or so shots, it probably won't be as big a problem, but still it might lead to some discomfort the day after, especially if you don't put some kind of brake (not flash suppressor) on it. Recoil wise, to me the bushmaster and the SOCOM are of a oneness. I haven't shot a Beowulf so that I can't say for sure, but ballistics-wise its in the same group as far as recoil.
crbutler

Next

Return to Long Guns