Need Tripod Advice

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Need Tripod Advice

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm

I recently purchased a Labradar and the bench tripod. But, when I'm shooting my 50 BMG Rifle I can't put the Labradar on the bench, due to the muzzle brake blast.

So, I'm looking for a fairly strong tripod, that won't break the bank. I'm trying to stay under $150 if at all possible.

The tripod may also be used for my spotting scope, when it isn't needed for the Labradar.

Suggestions would be helpful, as there are so many out there, and I want to stay away from junk.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Need Tripod Advice

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Maybe look at the primos trigger stick shooting sticks. I have the moon pod and have been very happy. They make a tripod model as well. Mine came with the adapter piece with the standard tripod screw plate. That way you could use it both for this use and as shooting sticks.
Holland&Holland

Postby 870TC on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Look for a used Bogen 3033 Professional tripod...try ebay. I have one its built like a tank!
870TC

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Amazon seems to have several tripod options. I’d think most could handle the Labradar.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:51 pm

Some years back I bought a 900mm lens, and found that my cheap tripod simply didn't work with it. The simple act of tightening it down would shift the point of aim more than the field of view.

So I went down to National Camera and picked up a Manfrotto.

It was pricy, but it had been with every penny.

I use it with my spotting scope, when I use a spotting scope, standing free behind the bench. Zoom the scope in on the target, lock it in, and it stays locked in for an afternoon, without having to keep fiddling with it too bring it back on target.

Of course, I stopped shopping at Northern Camera when they started to post, but you should be able to find a Manfrotto pan-head for under $200.
jdege

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:55 am

I think you are going to be disappointed with the muzzle blast from a braked .50 and ANY cheaper tripod given where it needs to be placed with a labradar. Its going to move.

You need a heavy professional tripod and several shot bags to weigh it in place. A professional type heavy camera tripod will work...with about 75# of shot on it to hold it in place. But those are over $250 unless you can find a used one.

Don't ask how I know...
crbutler

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:30 am

Thanks everyone. I will be able to place the Labradar slightly ahead of the muzzle, and either directly below it, or slightly off to the side and above or below the brake exhaust.

I think I've found what I will need, due to a recommendation from a couple friends that I compete with, in the 50 BMG matches . They too have a Labradar and I found some used ones that they suggested on eBay. Now, I just need to win a bid...lol. I also plan to get a downrigger trolling weight to hang from the bottom of the tripod to add some stability in windy conditions.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 am

Another premium brand to look at is Really RIght Stuff.
Jackpine Savage

Postby atomic41 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig0311-g-f ... -od-green/

I have this, it's very nice for the price and it fits your budget.
atomic41

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm

I've been following this Topic with great concern about weight capacity of Tripods.
The Tripod from Hogsaddle.com seem to be best but limited to 26 pounds maximum.
The Ball mount accessory with Acra-Swiss adapter has a max weight of 44 pounds which means nothing if Tripod is limited to 26 pounds.

My usage intent is aaaas a tripod to use for standing support for my Ruger Precision Rifle Magnum for long distance shooting. It has a 1.5" dovetail on bottom of fore-end which fits the Arca-Swiss mounting system. The rifle system weighs 23 pounds as current setup with laser low-light sighting, loaded magazine, and a TF Terminator muzzle brake (ordered-not currently installed).

The combined weight of installed ball mount with Acra-Swiss adapter and rifle combination will be right at maximum for the tripod. Any added support weight under tripod just destroys the weight capacity rating of the tripod.

That plus the total height of tripod assembly will be low for my 6'8" height, and will need a riser to accommodate my needs.

Your thoughts. ................................................................................... Thank you in advance.
OldmanFCSA

Postby warrlac on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 pm

The BOG "Death Grip" CF Tripod worked fairly well for me last year. Won't be useful to BigDog58 as it has a hog saddle style head, but it holds a pretty good sized gun as long as you can get the firearm in the vice somewhat close to the balance point. The weakest link in the system is the friction screw that holds the gun from tipping forward and back. You have to turn it very hard to get enough friction in the systems to keep the gun in position. That's why being balanced is an advantage.

I've used the genuine Hog Saddles that are issued to our US Mil soldiers. Much stronger and on Manfrotto tripods, but the price of the Hog Saddle, Head and Tripod runs north of $800 while the BOG Carbon Fiber sells for $249.

BOG does not state a load rating for its CF tripod. My experience is that it is more than strong enough to hold a .308 even with additional sandbags hanging beneath. Your .338 Lapua Mag is a lot heavier, and you may not be able to find a place to grab the firearm that is close to the balance point. I think that even a genuine Hog Saddle would struggle to hold up your RPR .338 Mag if it was not balanced...

OldmanFCSA wrote:I've been following this Topic with great concern about weight capacity of Tripods.
The Tripod from Hogsaddle.com seem to be best but limited to 26 pounds maximum.
The Ball mount accessory with Acra-Swiss adapter has a max weight of 44 pounds which means nothing if Tripod is limited to 26 pounds.

My usage intent is aaaas a tripod to use for standing support for my Ruger Precision Rifle Magnum for long distance shooting. It has a 1.5" dovetail on bottom of fore-end which fits the Arca-Swiss mounting system. The rifle system weighs 23 pounds as current setup with laser low-light sighting, loaded magazine, and a TF Terminator muzzle brake (ordered-not currently installed).

The combined weight of installed ball mount with Acra-Swiss adapter and rifle combination will be right at maximum for the tripod. Any added support weight under tripod just destroys the weight capacity rating of the tripod.

That plus the total height of tripod assembly will be low for my 6'8" height, and will need a riser to accommodate my needs.

Your thoughts. ................................................................................... Thank you in advance.
warrlac

Return to Accessories