Defensive handgun training

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Defensive handgun training

Postby BoltActionAssault on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Who has some of the best defense handgun classes within a 2 hour drive from the metro?

I am skeptical of firearms instructors in general, and I have met more than a handful that are just looking to make some cash off of regurgitating the handful of videos they have watched on gun training.

Anyone with personal experience have opinions and recommendations they can share? I have very little free time, so I don't want to waste my time (or money for that matter) on classes that I will find myself walking away from feeling like half of the class was a waste of time.
BoltActionAssault

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby Drizzle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Wait until a nationally recognized trainer comes to Morristown or Monticello. Craig Douglas, John Farnham, someone certified to teach MAG 20 for example.

The two AR courses I took at Monticello were good; from a fellow who was the Wright Cty sheriff's instructor. I do remember not being a fan of his opposition to red dots, however...

I haven't seen anyone who is based here I'm interested in spending the money on. I know there are local instructors for things like carry permits that are good, but more complex courses seem to be based elsewhere; Ohio, Texas, Arkansas, for example.
Drizzle

Postby Ironbear on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:30 am

You probably should state what level of training you need. Very little reason to get "nationally recognized trainer" level training if what you need is the fundamentals. Once the fundamentals are in place then more advanced training can take place far more efficiently.

For the fundamentals, if DonT is still training, I thought his classes were well worth the time and money.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am

Ironbear wrote:You probably should state what level of training you need. Very little reason to get "nationally recognized trainer" level training if what you need is the fundamentals. Once the fundamentals are in place then more advanced training can take place far more efficiently.

For the fundamentals, if DonT is still training, I thought his classes were well worth the time and money.

Are you perhaps thinking of Don L ?

Don Larson is highly regarded.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ironbear on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am

xd ED wrote:Are you perhaps thinking of Don L ?

:lol: My bad! Thanks for correction.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Ironbear wrote:

That's not to say Don T isn't a good guy as well; nice guy, has interesting stuff to sell from time to time.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:59 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ironbear wrote:

That's not to say Don T isn't a good guy as well; nice guy, has interesting stuff to sell from time to time.

That he does.
Holland&Holland

Postby BoltActionAssault on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Ironbear wrote:

Awesome. Thank you!
BoltActionAssault

Postby azonesolutions on Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Drizzle wrote:Wait until a nationally recognized trainer comes to Morristown or Monticello. Craig Douglas, John Farnham, someone certified to teach MAG 20 for example.

John Murphy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkCeN8NoHjA&t=5s ) is coming to Ahlman's in Morristown August 15 & 16. Take advantage of the rare opportunity to have top tier instructors teaching locally.
azonesolutions

Postby Ironbear on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 am

azonesolutions wrote:John Murphy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkCeN8NoHjA&t=5s ) is coming to Ahlman's in Morristown August 15 & 16. Take advantage of the rare opportunity to have top tier instructors teaching locally.

Thanks! Now that I live in Virginia, his facility is "local" (<40 minutes) to me! I wasn't familiar with John Murphy.

Ohhh... he is hosting a Cecil Burch seminar next year too!!!

azonesolutions = evil tempter ;)
Ironbear

Postby rtk on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:17 pm

I think John Farnam is here this summer also, maybe one of his adjunct instructors could chime in on the dates.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby gman1868 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:37 am

John Farnam will be here July 25-26, hosted by One Defense and QSI Training. The course is Low Light Shooting, Handgun and Rifle which is an advanced course. The DTI Low-Light Shooting Course, both days will include shooting (live-fire) poor light and in darkness. We’ll be shooting with and without the aid of flashlights and other external light. Flashlight-equipped rifles are recommended. This Course starts at noon and goes until 10pm both days. It will cover a number of different scenarios including vehicle defense, active killer, and terrorist response.

This advanced course has pre-requisite training requirements. Please contact me for more information.

Learn more here https://www.onedefense.net/courses/upcoming-courses/
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Return to General Gun Chat