Feral hog hunting, best strategy?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Feral hog hunting, best strategy?

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Check out the people I've linked. They often have drawings where you can get a free hunt. It also lets you bring a buddy at a reduced rate.

I have entered their "drawing" two times, and was offered the "free" hunt each time. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to go to either of them. Below is part of the email they sent me

https://texas-hog-hunts.myshopify.com/pages/free-hog-hunts

We will be hunting day and night, so bring your predator calls, and spot lights.
Included in the hunt:

(Ranch Boss ~ Hog Hunting package : $799 value):

2 Hogs ANY SIZE + unlimited piglets up to 50 lbs each! Also included at no additional cost is varmint and predator hunting!
(Schedule your hunt in July-September and everyone in your group will get unlimited Hogs, unlimited sizes during peak populations!)
Day & night hunt sessions
All meals & drinks
Lodging

Not Included:

non-resident license ($48) Purchase at any Texas Walmart. Residents pay less. If you were born after Sept 2, 1971, you will need a hunter safety class from your State, or you can buy a hunter safety deferment for $10 with your license.
hog cleaning per hog is $50 for hogs up to 50 lbs; Service also included field retrieval, cutting the bigger hogs into 10 pieces, freezer/cooler space. Cleaning for hogs bigger than a piglet is $1/lb. Ranch staff does all animal cleaning only.
Guide/Staff fee $100, collected in cash upon arrival
gratuity for your staff
booking fee ($99) No booking fee for addit'l. hunters.

If you schedule your hunt on one of our Summer "Special Sessions" that we use for hog control, (Summers Only) Your limit of 2 hogs is lifted. You will be able to shoot unlimited hogs, unlimited sizes which include the Monster Hogs!
You are responsible to pay the hog cleaning fees on all hogs shot. If you don’t want that much meat, we can donate, but you are still responsible for the hog cleaning fees.

NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Sounds like they make their money on hog field dressing, not the hunt itself.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Very helpful. Thank you.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:07 am

If you don’t get lucky to win, $1150 for hunting 2 immature pigs. More if you shoot bigger.

$11.50/lb live weight for pork, excluding travel.

That’s way over the usual rate.

The variables are huge- accommodations, food, use of NV equipment, other game.

Straight hog hunt without the extras should run @ $250-500 from what I’m told.

Like I said, what I did was an add on to an exotic hunt and was free to me...but I’ve spent a ******* of money with the outfitter before.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:09 pm

crbutler wrote:If you don’t get lucky to win, $1150 for hunting 2 immature pigs. More if you shoot bigger.

$11.50/lb live weight for pork, excluding travel.

That’s way over the usual rate.

The variables are huge- accommodations, food, use of NV equipment, other game.

Straight hog hunt without the extras should run @ $250-500 from what I’m told.

Like I said, what I did was an add on to an exotic hunt and was free to me...but I’ve spent a ******* of money with the outfitter before.

I am going to start offering guided fishing charters. Now the charter is free but you have to pay the $10 per fish cleaning fee for all fish caught and no catch and release is allowed. Did I forget to mention we were hitting metro lakes with night crawlers, small hooks and bombers?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Been watching a few YouTube vids

Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 am

The species doesn't appear to be that hard to locate. Am I wrong that it appears it is more of a harvesting exercise? Once a group is found, you just pick one out at shoot it.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Actually, like most hunting it’s not so much a matter of killing one.

You need to find habitat they are using, pattern them, get into position to see them before they note you, ID one that meets your criteria, then make a successful kill.

Most hog hunting is done on or near feeders.

Hogs can be an incredibly difficult species to hunt when they are pressured.
crbutler

Postby minnesotatv on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 am

just hook up with these guys:

hog-hunting-3-30-08.jpg
minnesotatv

Feral hog hunting, best strategy?

Postby LumberZach on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

I’ve never gone. Want to, do this is where my research has led me-

Caliber-there seem to be great size differences between pigs. Unlike deer, hogs can vary in size by hundreds of pounds. I’m convinced .223 will be enough for 90% if the hogs you encounter. Especially if you’re comfortable with follow up shots. Bigger is always better, but it’s kind of up to you to decide how much you want. I kind of think 7.62x39 AK with a red dot would be a cool hog hunting gun. I see videos of people using anything and everything to shoot hogs.

Where to go-depends on how successful you Turkey want to be. WI has hogs now, and shoot on sight orders. You do need a small game license, but if you’re out if state and it’s your first time hunting in Wisconsin I think you can get the license for $5. I think there are guides, but I kinda think it’d be fun to (check on laws) but find a good area and explore a while until you find some. I suspect this will be low success, but low cost as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Previous

Return to Hunting