need help question about a s&w model 67 no dash

Discussion of handguns

need help question about a s&w model 67 no dash

Postby Mndiesel on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:10 pm

hello i have a question about a s&w model 67 no dash .38 special
i recently inherited this while cleaning out my late aunts house it was in her sewing room next to her crochet needles in a drawer!!

anyways i was doing a little research and i noticed on the barrel it reads smith & Wesson but the "&" and sign roll mark looks sideways i was wondering if this was a mistake or if this is common or what? any input would be very helpful.
thank you

also i dont really know the value of it but i would be interested in selling it or trading it towards a newer modern firearm such as a glock 17,19
i found the original wooden grips with it also
Attachments
thumbnail_image2.jpg
thumbnail_image1.jpg
thumbnail_image5.jpg
Mndiesel

Re: need help question about a s&w model 67 no dash

Postby speedy396 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 pm

Not sure on the sideways roll mark. I’m no expert, but have had my share of S&W revolvers. This is a nice early S&W K frame Combat Masterpiece with stainless sights. These weren’t exactly rare and were used by LEO back in the day. Condition is everything and based on the limited pics, this looks to be more of a shooter than a collector grade gun. I’d guess it might be worth around $400 retail plus or minus depending on condition. If you have the original grips, box, and accessories it may bump the value up a bit. See if the wood grips have the serial number stamped on the inside.
speedy396

Postby Drizzle on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:46 am

The previous poster is right on.

I would add you would probably get less in a direct sale to a gun store. You might get more on here dollar wise, or more value if you check out someplace that has used G17s and 19s and offer to trade straight across. They might not have as much in the Glocks as you think and make the trade, or it might cost you $50 or something.

However, the M67 .38 is a great home defense gun, every bit the equal of a newer Glock in that role or for plinking. Carry, not so much.
Drizzle

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:09 am

That's apparently a thing on some older S&W guns. Seems to have been more common around 1950-1960. If you want more info search for "smith and wesson lazy ampersand". It's not really sideways, it is just odd-shaped.

Here's one thread on the topic:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... p?t=966921

BB
BigBlue

Postby speedy396 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Learned something new! If you haven’t shot a K frame Smith with a wadcutter load, you should give it a go before you sell/trade it. You might be surprised how easy it is to shoot accurately.
speedy396

Postby Mndiesel on Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:30 pm

wow looks like i found the right place to ask questions! all my questions were answered. thank you guys for your time and input. i did pick up a box of ammo todday and man she is a sweet shooter the the trigger is the best i have ever felt
Mndiesel

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Very nice price. Do not mess with Auntie when she is crocheting.
Holland&Holland

Return to Handguns