Red dots for pistols

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Red dots for pistols

Postby Scratch on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:48 pm

I don't know if I'm looking for opinions, advice, suggestions or if I just want to talk out my dilemma. Sometimes I've found that talking (or typing) out loud, can help make my decision so here goes...

I had a Burris Fastfire red dot on a pistol a long time ago and ended up selling the gun because I didn't want to get lumped into the carry optics division or whatever they called it back then. Since then I've just been shooting irons. Now, I want to get a red dot again for my G17. This will not be a carry gun, but more of a range toy. I've always loved the idea of red dots on pistols, and I want to have one again. I won't be competing with it, but mostly shooting drills, and 3 gun type stages with my friends, on my private range.

The gun I want to use has some work done to it like new trigger, stipple job, undercuts, mag well, finger grooves removed, mag release worked on, and a Glock Store slide... which I don't really like. I like the look of it, but it doesn't eject well. I've never had a problem, but the shells seem to dribble out instead of shooting out like the factory slide. I got this G17 frame without a slide so it didn't bother me to do the stipple job. I planned on just getting another slide and having that one milled out, or getting one already milled out, since it never had a slide to begin with.

I had planned on getting an RMR (type 2, 3.25MOA) but now I'm hearing a lot about the SRO's. I've been doing some research on them and it seems everyone loves the huge viewfinder of them as well as the top loading battery compartment. I know the SRO isn't probably as durable as the RMR, but I'm not sure if I've ever "dropped" a gun in my life and I don't plan on it, so I'm not going to even concern myself with that. I can't think of a reason to get an RMR over the SRO for my needs. Larger viewfinder, easier battery access, yeah it's physically larger, but I'm not carrying this. This will only be used in an OWB holster, on my battle belt/3 gun belt, and probalby only shot on my range. (I don't get out much anymore)

I also have to get a new OWB holster for it. I'm using a G-Code SOC holster with the RTI wheel and like it a lot, but won't be able to use it with a red dot pistol since it has a swinging hood. I know I could just go with a friction type holster, but I'd really like to have some sort of mechanical thumb release for retention. I'm looking for suggestions...

I also hear great things about the Holosun 507C. I can get that for just under 200.00 which is a big drop from the SRO's price of 465.00... I feel like I should either go with the SRO or the 507C. I guess I'm open to other choices as well. I know the Delta Point Pro is a big player but I really don't know much about them for some reason.

So I guess the concerns that are floating around my head are:

SRO or 507C? (maybe other...)
Where to get the new slide?
What holster should I get?

Any input?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Red dots for pistols

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:57 pm

The RMR has set the standard for durability from almost every source I have seen. I have an older version, mounted on a shotgun, which I picked up used. It had been used hard before I got it and I haven't babied it. It has not failed.
Put a Holosun 507c on my G17 last year. So far it has served me well with no problems. Like the shake awake feature. I don't have to worry about turning it on/off. I've been carrying it as my farm gun the last year and really like how easy is to get a quick sight picture and make good hits.
Have taken a few woodchucks and a couple of coyote with it this summer. The woodchucks were stalked and probably could have been done with open sights. The coyote were quick targets of opportunity which I doubt I would have connected without the help of the rds.

There are other cheaper units out, but I prefer to buy the best I can afford. A new RMR is beyond my budget, but the Holosun has good reviews and at less than half the price?
Whatever you decide, I don't think you can really go wrong by adding an rds to a pistol.

Oh,
I had my slide milled by Suarez. They have some black Friday deals on milled slides right now.
TSKNIGHT

Postby crbutler on Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Every one I’ve had has worked fine.

I have an RMR on my .470 double due to my vision getting worse as I get old. Over 50 rounds through it with no issues of full power loads.

I’ve also had cheap battery op ones. They were a pain to zero, and every battery change required rezeroing it; but they still function despite over 10k rounds through it of IPSC major ammo.

If your dot is bright enough to see in full summer daylight, it will probably be fine.

Of course, it seems like each manufacturer has different placement of the screws for mounting.

The ones that broke for me were the big beer can sized ones.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:12 pm

Happy with the leupold delta point on my 10mm.
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Scratch wrote:I don't know if I'm looking for opinions, advice, suggestions or if I just want to talk out my dilemma. Sometimes I've found that talking (or typing) out loud, can help make my decision so here goes...

I had a Burris Fastfire red dot on a pistol a long time ago and ended up selling the gun because I didn't want to get lumped into the carry optics division or whatever they called it back then. Since then I've just been shooting irons. Now, I want to get a red dot again for my G17. This will not be a carry gun, but more of a range toy. I've always loved the idea of red dots on pistols, and I want to have one again. I won't be competing with it, but mostly shooting drills, and 3 gun type stages with my friends, on my private range.

The gun I want to use has some work done to it like new trigger, stipple job, undercuts, mag well, finger grooves removed, mag release worked on, and a Glock Store slide... which I don't really like. I like the look of it, but it doesn't eject well. I've never had a problem, but the shells seem to dribble out instead of shooting out like the factory slide. I got this G17 frame without a slide so it didn't bother me to do the stipple job. I planned on just getting another slide and having that one milled out, or getting one already milled out, since it never had a slide to begin with.

I had planned on getting an RMR (type 2, 3.25MOA) but now I'm hearing a lot about the SRO's. I've been doing some research on them and it seems everyone loves the huge viewfinder of them as well as the top loading battery compartment. I know the SRO isn't probably as durable as the RMR, but I'm not sure if I've ever "dropped" a gun in my life and I don't plan on it, so I'm not going to even concern myself with that. I can't think of a reason to get an RMR over the SRO for my needs. Larger viewfinder, easier battery access, yeah it's physically larger, but I'm not carrying this. This will only be used in an OWB holster, on my battle belt/3 gun belt, and probalby only shot on my range. (I don't get out much anymore)

I also have to get a new OWB holster for it. I'm using a G-Code SOC holster with the RTI wheel and like it a lot, but won't be able to use it with a red dot pistol since it has a swinging hood. I know I could just go with a friction type holster, but I'd really like to have some sort of mechanical thumb release for retention. I'm looking for suggestions...

I also hear great things about the Holosun 507C. I can get that for just under 200.00 which is a big drop from the SRO's price of 465.00... I feel like I should either go with the SRO or the 507C. I guess I'm open to other choices as well. I know the Delta Point Pro is a big player but I really don't know much about them for some reason.

So I guess the concerns that are floating around my head are:

SRO or 507C? (maybe other...)
Where to get the new slide?
What holster should I get?

Any input?
I have the Holosun on a G17 and love it.

I went with the green "elite" model, and used a plate that replaced the rear sight.

The circle dot is awesome for a range toy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Return to Accessories