South metro AD

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

South metro AD

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: South metro AD

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 pm

The man who shot the firearm will be charged for reckless use of a firearm, according to authorities.

As it should be.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Wasn’t me
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:17 pm

Obviously the statement about removing from the safe and unloading the weapon was not accurate. How tough is it to remove the mag, rack the slide take a look..or kick out the cylinder and take a look...how can you unload it and leave a round. Probably should read that he thought he stored it unloaded and did not check to verify.

There but for the Grace of God (and practicing common sense) go I........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:43 pm

He negligently broke at least 2 of Cooper's 4 rules.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Technically wouldn't it be a ND since he purposely pulled the trigger? I always thought of an AD being something like you dropped the gun and it went off.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Technically wouldn't it be a ND since he purposely pulled the trigger? I always thought of an AD being something like you dropped the gun and it went off.

I consider them all ND’s
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Technically wouldn't it be a ND since he purposely pulled the trigger? I always thought of an AD being something like you dropped the gun and it went off.

I consider them all ND’s

I can see that but at some point I thought their was a differentiator between a mechanical failure and a brain malfunction.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

I consider them all ND’s

I can see that but at some point I thought their was a differentiator between a mechanical failure and a brain malfunction.

https://www.usacarry.com/accidental-discharge-negligent-discharge/

Both Accidental Discharges and Negligent Discharges can happen but they mean completely different things. The two terms are not interchangeable and most shooters will never experience an accidental discharge. 99.9% of the time you hear someone referring to an accidental discharge it is actually a negligent discharge.

Accidental: happening by chance, unintentionally, or unexpectedly.
Negligent: failing to take proper care in doing something.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:46 pm

That is what I was thinking of. My example was probable wrong. An AD might be more of say when Rem 700s were going off upon bolt closure. Muzzle still was downrange and in a safe direction but it was not a negligent act of the user it was a mechanical failure.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:That is what I was thinking of. My example was probable wrong. An AD might be more of say when Rem 700s were going off upon bolt closure. Muzzle still was downrange and in a safe direction but it was not a negligent act of the user it was a mechanical failure.

I could see that but if the bullet hits your kid it falls back into negligence because of muzzle control.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:That is what I was thinking of. My example was probable wrong. An AD might be more of say when Rem 700s were going off upon bolt closure. Muzzle still was downrange and in a safe direction but it was not a negligent act of the user it was a mechanical failure.

I could see that but if the bullet hits your kid it falls back into negligence because of muzzle control.

100% agreed. If any of the 4 rules are violated then it is negligence rather than AD.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News