Historic Spike In Gun Sales After The Coronavirus Hit

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Historic Spike In Gun Sales After The Coronavirus Hit

Postby jdege on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/peteraldhous/coronavirus-gun-sales
This Chart Shows A Historic Spike In Gun Sales After The Coronavirus Hit The US
The spike for March 2020 is unprecedented. The dotted line labeled COVID-19 marks Feb. 29, when the first death from the disease in the US, a male health worker in his fifties from Washington state, was recorded.
jdege

Re: Historic Spike In Gun Sales After The Coronavirus Hit

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Good
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Yup. That was pretty evident.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Interesting that after mass shootings sales have flattened out; I guess everyone who was going to buy a gun in response to that has done so. But CORVID-19 seems to have tapped into a new market.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Seems very similar to me though amplified by the magnitude of a possible 240,000 dead, economic depression, and a general breakdown of society as we know it.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:30 pm

I like how the article describes the current gun buyers as "preppers". My experience over the last month has been far from that. There have been a very small percentage who claimed they weren't buying a firearm through fear of a societal breakdown but were buying as they were afraid the price of their chosen firearm would increase due to demand. Their choices kind of reflected that as they tended to buy pistols at the higher end of our price range, large bore revolvers, or the current "in" guns such as SIG 365, Glock 43, 48, or 44, or Springfield Hellcat.

The overwhelming majority of buyers expressed concern that they might be attacked and overrun by unruly mobs and were looking for their first gun ever or their first gun of their own since moving from home. These buyers gravitated to any semiauto rifle starting with the ARs and Ruger PPC before moving toward Ruger Mini-14s and then 22 LR semiautos. Lever action 30/30s have been the latest trend as the other guns have been nearly unobtainable.

Close on the heels of the above firearms were "home defense" shotguns. Many of these were initially bought by so called "Fudds" as they talked of wanting something other than their deer rifle or duck gun. They claimed there was no need for anything else as a pump gun is the be-all for defensive use. The rest were mostly first timers or limited previous use buyers and bought anything as long as it had a short barrel. Most of the Shockwaves and Tac-14 type guns went to these buyers as well as slug guns with rifled barrels, youth models, and even 410 shotguns. Maverick 88s and any other ~$250 shotgun can be lumped into this latter group too.

In handguns it started off with runs on compact 9mm under $350 and anything Glock. Then went the less expensive 380 ACP handguns, compacts other than Glock, and Rock Island and Taurus 1911s. Then the duty sized 9mm began to go followed by most other semiautos. Revolvers of any stripe have not been big sellers.

Maybe 40% of the handgun buyers were first timers with a very large percentage of them not knowing it took more than just showing up to purchase a handgun. More than one became visibly upset when told the requirements needed before they could purchase a pistol. We saw and still see a lot of newly issues purchase permits.

Another 40% were those who had a full sized semiauto or a revolver but wanted a compact semiauto for carry. Most had their carry permits but a few had purchase permits with intentions of taking the next carry class they could attend. A significant part of the remaining buyers had smaller pistols but wanted a full sized gun for "home" use.

The above is what I gathered from what customers told me either unsolicited or as part of determining what they buyer was looking for. If anyone were able to offer beginner classes at a reasonable price ( <$100) the room would be full but the current goofiness prevents that from happening. I say this as so many either asked if such training was available or asked for help at the counter. Other than the Big 3 rules there hasn't been much time to offer further help.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 pm

smurfman wrote:I like how the article describes the current gun buyers as "preppers". My experience over the last month has been far from that. There have been a very small percentage who claimed they weren't buying a firearm through fear of a societal breakdown but were buying as they were afraid the price of their chosen firearm would increase due to demand. Their choices kind of reflected that as they tended to buy pistols at the higher end of our price range, large bore revolvers, or the current "in" guns such as SIG 365, Glock 43, 48, or 44, or Springfield Hellcat.

The overwhelming majority of buyers expressed concern that they might be attacked and overrun by unruly mobs and were looking for their first gun ever or their first gun of their own since moving from home. These buyers gravitated to any semiauto rifle starting with the ARs and Ruger PPC before moving toward Ruger Mini-14s and then 22 LR semiautos. Lever action 30/30s have been the latest trend as the other guns have been nearly unobtainable.

Close on the heels of the above firearms were "home defense" shotguns. Many of these were initially bought by so called "Fudds" as they talked of wanting something other than their deer rifle or duck gun. They claimed there was no need for anything else as a pump gun is the be-all for defensive use. The rest were mostly first timers or limited previous use buyers and bought anything as long as it had a short barrel. Most of the Shockwaves and Tac-14 type guns went to these buyers as well as slug guns with rifled barrels, youth models, and even 410 shotguns. Maverick 88s and any other ~$250 shotgun can be lumped into this latter group too.

In handguns it started off with runs on compact 9mm under $350 and anything Glock. Then went the less expensive 380 ACP handguns, compacts other than Glock, and Rock Island and Taurus 1911s. Then the duty sized 9mm began to go followed by most other semiautos. Revolvers of any stripe have not been big sellers.

Maybe 40% of the handgun buyers were first timers with a very large percentage of them not knowing it took more than just showing up to purchase a handgun. More than one became visibly upset when told the requirements needed before they could purchase a pistol. We saw and still see a lot of newly issues purchase permits.

Another 40% were those who had a full sized semiauto or a revolver but wanted a compact semiauto for carry. Most had their carry permits but a few had purchase permits with intentions of taking the next carry class they could attend. A significant part of the remaining buyers had smaller pistols but wanted a full sized gun for "home" use.

The above is what I gathered from what customers told me either unsolicited or as part of determining what they buyer was looking for. If anyone were able to offer beginner classes at a reasonable price ( <$100) the room would be full but the current goofiness prevents that from happening. I say this as so many either asked if such training was available or asked for help at the counter. Other than the Big 3 rules there hasn't been much time to offer further help.

Sounds pretty accurate to what I have observed.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:35 am

smurfman wrote:I like how the article describes the current gun buyers as "preppers". My experience over the last month has been far from that. There have been a very small percentage who claimed they weren't buying a firearm through fear of a societal breakdown but were buying as they were afraid the price of their chosen firearm would increase due to demand. Their choices kind of reflected that as they tended to buy pistols at the higher end of our price range, large bore revolvers, or the current "in" guns such as SIG 365, Glock 43, 48, or 44, or Springfield Hellcat.

I hope you took the opportunity to mention "they're trying to ban these" to everyone who bought the relevant type of firearm.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 am

Don't worry, they will chop them in half after the next newsworthy shooting related tragedy.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:53 pm

This just in from a local neighborhood forum I participate in:

This lady is riding around on a bike taking packages off people's porches, police caught her but let her go? Watch your house and stay safe
The police can not bring anyone to jail right now because of the Coronavirus unless it is a violent crime, so their giving out tickets and postponed court dates until the virus clears up.

Yeah, so unless the Droogs are kicking in your door, forget about 911.
Lumpy

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Dang must be time to reactivate the lime brine tank(s).
Sorcerer

Return to In The News