SCOTUS moots NYSRPA v NY, but ...

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

SCOTUS moots NYSRPA v NY, but ...

Postby jdege on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:52 pm

From David Hardy - First this:

https://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2020/04/supreme_court_r_7.php
Supreme Court rules NYSRPA v. NY is moot
Opinion here. Justice Alito, joined by Gorsuch and Thomas (in part) has a powerful dissent, essentially saying NY set out to moot this case precisely because we accepted it.

But also this:

https://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2020/04/ready_on_the_ri.php
Ready on the right, ready on the left....
Yesterday the Court remanded NYSRPA. I found it did something else, too.

There are by my count seven 2A cases in the Supreme Court pipeline--cases where the petition for cert have been briefed, the case set for a vote in conference, yet the Court neither granted nor denied, just left them out there in limbo. A couple of them have been in that status for over a year.

Yesterday the Court ordered all seven distributed for the conference of May 1.

Are they up to something?
jdege

Re: SCOTUS moots NYSRPA v NY, but ...

Postby jdege on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:56 pm

As to which cases will be heard:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/04/after-ruling-in-new-york-gun-rights-case-more-second-amendment-cases-set-for-friday-conference/
After ruling in New York gun rights case, more Second Amendment cases set for Friday conference
Mance v. Barr – Whether the federal ban on interstate handgun sales violates the Second Amendment or the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.

Rogers v. Grewal – In a challenge to New Jersey’s handgun carry permit scheme, whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a handgun outside the home for self-defense; and whether the government can condition the right to carry a handgun outside the home on the showing of a special need to carry a firearm.

Pena v. Horan – In a challenge to a California law banning most commonly used handguns, the petition asks the justices to weigh in on the scope of the Second Amendment.

Gould v. Lipson – In a challenge to Massachusetts’ handgun carry permit scheme, whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a handgun outside the home for self-defense; and whether the government can condition the right to carry a handgun outside the home on the showing of a special need to carry a firearm.

Cheeseman v. Polillo – Challenge to New Jersey handgun carry permit scheme.

Ciolek v. New Jersey – Challenge to New Jersey handgun carry permit scheme.

Worman v. Healey – Challenge to Massachusetts ban on the possession of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines.

Malpasso v. Pallozzi – In a challenge to Maryland’s handgun carry permit scheme, whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry handguns outside the home for self-defense.

Culp v. Raoul – Whether the Second Amendment requires Illinois to allow nonresidents to apply for a concealed-carry license.

Wilson v. Cook County – Challenge to Cook County’s ban on assault rifles and large-capacity magazines, as well as to the Second Amendment analysis used by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit to uphold the ban.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm

Will something actually happen?
Ghost

Postby jdege on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:20 pm

Ghost wrote:Will something actually happen?

We'll know on May 4, when the orders resulting from the May 1 conference are issued.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 am

As much as I'd like to see one of the assault weapon/magazine bans stricken, there seems to be a lot of carry permit cases.

If one is heard, I'd put my money on one of them.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to In The News