Club lead removal?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Club lead removal?

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:30 am

Does anyone know how local clubs deal with lead removal? I don't think my club has a great process and I'd like to hear how others do it. Thinking outdoor lead removal from dirt and sand backstops, not trap ranges or indoor ranges. Mostly rifle and pistol bullets.

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: Club lead removal?

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:55 pm

I had involvement way back when with a Trap club that had a company come out and basically mine the impact area.

I’ve heard of (but no contact with) smaller ranges allowing members to mine a backstop for lead to cast. This was supposedly no money but the member repaired the backstop and got to keep the lead for their efforts.

They used heavy dirt moving equipment in the case of the club I was in, and processed the dirt to get the shot back. They paid the club to do so.

In essence, with a localized berm area, they would come out, shovel the dirt up, process it, and repair what they took out and pay the club in return for keeping the lead- but there would need to be multiple tons before they would get interested.

Metallic lead is pretty inert. It won’t go anywhere while in the backstop. Don’t worry about it until there is enough to do it for free to the club. I have never heard of ( but it could happen) that a rich enough spot could make the club some money.
crbutler

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:55 am

Contact Metro Gun Club in the Twin Cities, they refereed us to someone they use. Can't remember the name. Basically they come out take the top 2-4" of and put the dirt back in place, they pay you or you can pay them and they leave the lead for you to recycle. We are waiting on them to be in the area again. Seems like they are kinda like old time Barn painting crews and travel the US mining for lead!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby hard h2o on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 am

Contact Teresa at Oakdale Gun Club as well.

We have dealt with it a few times.
hard h2o

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs