Boot camp shooting course?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Boot camp shooting course?

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:01 pm

crbutler wrote:I am all for doing what you want...

It remember that all it takes is one bad viral video to get the politically inclined busybody types to start a cause.

Look at the s-storm Dr. Palmer caused hunting. (Cecil the Lion)

The underlying act there was perfectly legal.

If you decide to do it, keep it like fight club.

Where’s the fun in that?
Holland&Holland

Postby Scratch on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:06 am

I recently found out there was already a competition exactly like I was thinking, it's called Tactical Games and it's basically running an obstacle course, all kitted up with a rifle slung over your shoulder, and a pistol on your belt with shooting positions all along the way, and I think they're even planning an event in Forest Lake soon! I've been looking over their safety rules and equipment requirements, and have joined their online community for advice on setting it up safely and fun. I've also been getting a lot of ideas from the OCR community. (Obstacle Course Racing - ie Tough Mudder)

I've been working on a few obstacles and have a course well on its way to being setup.
I have a big ravine at my place that's about 20 feet deep and 50 feet wide. A lot of the course goes along the top and bottom of this ravine. Some of the obstacles I have ready to go are:

A 18' rope rappel into the ravine
A 22' rope climb out of it
a 140' zipline over it
a 47' rope bridge over it
log hurdles ranging from 43" high to 75"
8' wall climb
Big heavy tractor tire to flip
Rooftop prop to shoot from
30' barbed wire crawl (although I decided against barbed wire and am using 1x2's instead)

I'm still looking for some big barge rope or something to do a rope climb, tightrope walk, rope swing and rope traverse, and I think I want to still do a monkey bar setup, but I'm looking for more ideas!
Here's a couple pics:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I've been having fun running the course even without any guns, and I've even lost a few pounds! I've also found myself watching a lot more American Ninja Warrior lately...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Drizzle on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:23 am

Have a look at a couple of Youtube channels, Forgotten Weapons and InRange, for their Desert Brutality and Finnish Brutality competition coverage. Several days worth of courses run over a couple of years, with other websites joining in. Helmet cam, other video, and probably overlong discussions of gear, but the courses would be a hoot. Many are low round count, important in these times for many.
Drizzle

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 am

Love it. Gotta admit, you are a make it happen guy. Good for you. :mrgreen: :cheers: :high5:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:59 pm

That looks awesome!
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:06 pm

Well done Scratch! Looks like a blast.
Jackpine Savage

Postby nhluke on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:32 pm

Nice job! I'm impressed when someone puts that much effort into something like that. I'm really impressed when they use it.
nhluke

Postby Scratch on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 am

nhluke wrote:Nice job! I'm impressed when someone puts that much effort into something like that. I'm really impressed when they use it.

I've been using it once a day so far, but not shooting from it. I have about 2 miles of hiking trails out here and this is now incorporated into my trails. Except for the crawl... I don't always feel like getting "that" dirty so I just run through that like hurdles.
Scratch

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Do you have an old fart course for us broke dik folks?
Bearcatrp

Postby Scratch on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:58 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Do you have an old fart course for us broke dik folks?

Yes, I do...

5.jpg
Scratch

Postby Scratch on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am

I need some ideas for another section...

I have this big ravine, and in one area near the top, you have to rappel down into it.
Then you go down the ravine a bit and you have a longer rope climb out of it.

But I still need to get back down into the ravine to complete the obstacles inside the ravine and I need another fun way to get back down. Right now, I just climb up the big rope, then rappel back down the same rope. It works, but I want to do something different.

There is a good spot to set up a downward angled rope traverse between two trees, something like this but angled downwards into the ravine:
traverse.jpg
But if you fall off the rope near the beginning, it's like a 10' drop to uneven ground.

There is also a spot to do a short, "fast rope" drop, kind of like this:
fast rope drop.jpg
but I've heard that using some ropes, those things are hard on your hands.

An actual "fast rope" is out of my budget, but I do know how to do the 4-Strand Round Braid that fast ropes are made with, like this:
Screenshot (49).png
So I could make one myself out of climbing rope. I do have 3 climbing ropes but I'm not quite ready or willing to cut them up, and buying a new one to cut up is a little hard for me to do as well.

I was planning on using a gym rope something like this:
Screenshot (48).png
Which is much cleaper at like 53 bucks for 30 feet, but I've heard those natural style ropes (Hemp, Sisal, Manilla, Jute, etc...) are hard on your hands for sliding down like a firepole. I've even heard the actual fast ropes are also hard on your hands for sliding down without gloves. I know the real dudes wear gloves when going down a fast rope, but I'm incorporating this course into my regular hike which I do at least every other day, and I don't want to wear gloves on this hike.
I suppose I could just bring a pair and put them on for this, and that might be my best option, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any other ideas on how to get down the side of a steep walled ravine in the woods, that can be as high as 25 feet and as low as about 10 feet (depending on where I drop in) that is also fun to do, and a bit of a workout.

Or if you have one of these ropes at home or your gym, can you try climbing up it then sliding down it like a firepole with bare hands and tell me what you think a 20 foot-ish slide would be like on your hands. Same thing if you happen to have access to a real fast rope.
Thanks.
Scratch

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Scratch wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Do you have an old fart course for us broke dik folks?

Yes, I do...

5.jpg

Not that broke dik
Bearcatrp

Postby Drizzle on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Most fast roping uses welding gloves, or so I've heard, so users could have their own or perhaps a few pair of house gloves.
Drizzle

Postby stonegraham on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:20 am

You can Google USMC obstacle course.
stonegraham
Scammer-banned

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat