Permit renewal question.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Permit renewal question.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:25 am

My PTC is up at the beginning of 2021. I haven't even taken the renewal course due to the pandemic, and alot of places having limited class space. Another reason I haven't done it is because I'm due to close on a new house in Nov. and I need to get my address changed on all my stuff. Once I get the new address established I will quickly bang out the class, and get the paperwork submitted.

How long have counties been processing permits? I'm in Itasca county.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Permit renewal question.

Postby bstrawse on Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:07 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:My PTC is up at the beginning of 2021. I haven't even taken the renewal course due to the pandemic, and alot of places having limited class space. Another reason I haven't done it is because I'm due to close on a new house in Nov. and I need to get my address changed on all my stuff. Once I get the new address established I will quickly bang out the class, and get the paperwork submitted.

To my knowledge, every county is processing in under 30 days.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Glenn_S on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:33 pm

The big question is if you need to set an appointment to drop it off and what that timeframe looks like. A co-worker was told appointments are two months out in Hennepin County. Itasca may be less. Give them a call and ask...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:05 am

So you have to take another course to renew a carry permit?
Rowdy Roddy

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:22 am

Rowdy Roddy wrote:So you have to take another course to renew a carry permit?

Yes.
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:06 pm

As previous folk have posted there's a problem in dropping off your paperwork to the county sheriff. Call immediately and find out when the next appointment is or you may face the added cost of applying for your renewal AFTER your existing permit runs out and you might have to put up with a period after your existing permit runs out and you get your new permit.

The deal is if you submit your paperwork for a permit renewal BEFORE your existing permit runs out it costs you $75. If you submit your paperwork to renew your permit AFTER it has run out then you pay the $100.

Nothing I know of says you can't request an appointment to submit your paperwork right away and then take the class at your leisure just so long as you complete the class and have your certificate in hand on the day of your appointment.

Someone right here on this site posted the fact that Ramsey County has set up a second office to accept permit applications at Highway 96 and Hamline. Before that I think someone mentioned that appointments to submit your paperwork were getting close to three months from the time you asked for an appointment until you could get one. Unfortunately I don't know what the wait time is now.
daleamn

Postby ttousi on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:02 pm

close on the cost.............varies by county

(f) The sheriff may charge a new application processing fee in an amount not to exceed the actual and
reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $100, whichever is less.
Of this amount, $10 must be
submitted to the commissioner and deposited into the general fund.

some new are less than 100

renewals up to 75............10 penalty if within 30 days of exp

(1) no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date on the permit, the permit holder may renew the permit
by submitting to the appropriate sheriff the application packet described in subdivision 3 and a renewal
processing fee not to exceed the actual and reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $75,
whichever is less.
Of this amount, $5 must be submitted to the commissioner and deposited into the general
fund. The sheriff must process the renewal application in accordance with subdivisions 4 and 6; and

(2) a permit holder who submits a renewal application packet after the expiration date of the permit, but
within 30 days after expiration, may renew the permit as provided in clause (1) by paying an additional late
fee of $10.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westhope on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:23 pm

You can apply for a renewal up to 90 days before your old PTC expires. The new PTC will expire 5 years (maybe a day short) from the date your old PTC would expire. They should sill issue the new PTC within 30 days. No reason to wait until the last minute.

Yes, training is required every renewal.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby speedy396 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:03 pm

As other have said, call and check with the local sheriffs office. I can’t imagine Itasca being as busy as Hennepin or Ramsey. I just renewed in Hennepin and my appointment was about 45 days out. My friend’s appointment in Ramsey isn’t until end of December more than 2 months out from when he called. There are now online course options offered which made it more convenient. You still need to do qualification in-person.
speedy396

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:34 pm

Not all counties are requiring appointments. Check their website or give them a call.
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:32 am

Thanks to the folk that provided more complete information to my post. Getting out "good" information and COMPLETE information is important and it's nice folk gave the OP a more complete answer than I gave them.
daleamn

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks for the reminder to check on the expiration. I'm up at the end of April 2021. I have to start working on a plan. Considering an online option this go round. If it scratches the itch and can get it done inexpensively, I'll have to look into it. Other than cash flow for instructors on the board, any downside to that plan I need to consider?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby mrp on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:05 pm

bstrawse wrote:

If you're able, can you let us know what has transpired with the counties that were either not processing within 30 days and/or were refusing to accept applications?

Thanks again for all your work.
mrp

Postby bstrawse on Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:25 pm

mrp wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

If you're able, can you let us know what has transpired with the counties that were either not processing within 30 days and/or were refusing to accept applications?

Thanks again for all your work.

To our knowledge no one has been processing over 30 days.

Several counties were initially refusing to accept applications - that was battle #1 back in late spring. Then some went to appointment only with long wait times, we're still working through that -- Hennepin being the one that refuses to add additional staff - others are coming along.

We have outside counsel working on this - but it's likely months before we can get in front of a judge. (We haven't filed yet)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby dexton on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:14 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:My PTC is up at the beginning of 2021. I haven't even taken the renewal course due to the pandemic, and alot of places having limited class space. Another reason I haven't done it is because I'm due to close on a new house in Nov. and I need to get my address changed on all my stuff. Once I get the new address established I will quickly bang out the class, and get the paperwork submitted.

i think it dosen't exceed 30 days
dexton

Next

Return to General Gun Chat