Ghost-Gun Company Raided by Federal Agents;

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Ghost-Gun Company Raided by Federal Agents;

Postby minnesotatv on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:00 am

Ghost-Gun Company Raided by Federal Agents; ATF suspects Polymer80 of breaking firearms laws,
a sign that law enforcement is looking closer at makers of DIY gun kits

Federal agents on Thursday raided one of the nation's largest manufacturers of ghost-gun parts, a sign that federal law enforcement is cracking down on kits that allow people to make weapons at home.
The raid target, Nevada-based Polymer80, is suspected of illegally manufacturing and distributing firearms, failing to pay taxes, shipping guns across state lines and failing to conduct background investigations, according to an application for a search warrant unsealed Thursday after the raid took place.
The probe focuses on Polymer80's "Buy Build Shoot Kit," which includes the parts to build a "ghost" handgun. The kit, which Polymer80 sells online, meets the definition of a firearm, ATF investigators determined according to the warrant application. That means it would have to be stamped with a serial number and couldn't be sold to consumers who haven't first passed a background check.
Polymer80 chief executive David Borges didn't return phone calls or texts seeking comment Thursday evening.
Agents seized records and other evidence in Thursday's raid in Dayton, close to Carson City, a law-enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said. No Polymer80 employees were arrested and no charges have been filed.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ghost-gun- ... lead_pos13
minnesotatv

Re: Ghost-Gun Company Raided by Federal Agents;

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:47 am

Were they wearing blue helmets during the raid?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:56 am

I thought all 80% receivers were approved by BATF, before being shipped?
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 am

jdege wrote:I thought all 80% receivers were approved by BATF, before being shipped?

Maybe BATF decided they were 81%?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby jdege on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jdege wrote:I thought all 80% receivers were approved by BATF, before being shipped?

If it turns out that Polymer80 has a letter from BATF ruling that their 80% lowers were not firearms, somebody should spend time in jail, for this.

Of course, we all know that's not going to happen.
jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:18 am

I think we have learned that the law doesn't really matter if those enforcing the law don't necessarily agree with the law. They will poke and prod to force an opening to upend the law. That starts with stirring up controversy where, previously, there was none.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby atomic41 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:12 pm

jdege wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:

If it turns out that Polymer80 has a letter from BATF ruling that their 80% lowers were not firearms, somebody should spend time in jail, for this.

Of course, we all know that's not going to happen.

Absolutely! This is a big overreach if those were already approved. With Q ATF went after them for not approving the brace on the honey badger and marketing (gray area there) it as a rifle. I wonder if this is the same since it is sold a firearm build "kit"?

This is the beauty of regulatory alphabet agencies for the gov. They can get around all that pesky legislative mess and just have their thugs run around unchecked making "decisions" on what they think our rights should be. Another example growing in popularity - No you can't do that because we decided this is a "wetland".
atomic41

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Typical BS enforcement! Hope they have an approved letter making the 80% lowers so they can shove it in their face! Been eyeing a 80% lower for a long time.
Bearcatrp

Postby Scratch on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:15 pm

My understanding is, including all the parts changes the game. Example: If I buy a complete lower from Aero Precision, and a complete matching upper, they ship them in separate boxes. They do that, because if they ship it as one, they get hit with FET. I'm assuming ATF is using the same reasoning for this, you can sell all the parts, but you can't do it all in the same box
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Chunkychuck on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm

“The probe focuses on Polymer80's "Buy Build Shoot Kit," which includes the parts to build a "ghost" handgun.”

This raid seems to be about a handgun kit. I know I’m not real knowledgeable, but I’ve never heard of an 80% lower except in reference to a rifle
Chunkychuck

Postby jdege on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:“The probe focuses on Polymer80's "Buy Build Shoot Kit," which includes the parts to build a "ghost" handgun.”

This raid seems to be about a handgun kit. I know I’m not real knowledgeable, but I’ve never heard of an 80% lower except in reference to a rifle

There are a number of 80% receivers for Glock and M1911 frames.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:01 am

Chunkychuck wrote:“The probe focuses on Polymer80's "Buy Build Shoot Kit," which includes the parts to build a "ghost" handgun.”

They have been around for quite a few years.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Sounds like they are knocking on customer's doors. From Rob Pincus's faceborg page.

https://www.facebook.com/RobPincusPro/photos/a.135922056490629/3525489207533880/

Jackpine Savage

Postby Lumpy on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:42 pm

atomic41 wrote:This is the beauty of regulatory alphabet agencies for the gov. They can get around all that pesky legislative mess and just have their thugs run around unchecked making "decisions" on what they think our rights should be. Another example growing in popularity - No you can't do that because we decided this is a "wetland".

From the long list of grievances against the King in the Declaration Of Independence:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people,"

Also among the "Intolerable Acts" the colonials protested were stamp taxes that made possession of the taxed item effectively a prima facie crime unless you could present the affirmative defense of producing the paid for stamp. And giving inspectors carte blanche to search any premises they believed that contraband was being stored, via a doctrine of implied consent.

Authoritarian governments always reach for the same basic toolkit of methods.
Lumpy

Postby CZscout on Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:56 pm

This is very concerning. Bump stocks, arm braces, 80% - next ....???

Good luck.
CZscout

Next

Return to In The News