Permit renewal question.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Permit renewal question.

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:38 pm

dexton wrote:
PHATSPEED7x wrote:My PTC is up at the beginning of 2021. I haven't even taken the renewal course due to the pandemic, and alot of places having limited class space. Another reason I haven't done it is because I'm due to close on a new house in Nov. and I need to get my address changed on all my stuff. Once I get the new address established I will quickly bang out the class, and get the paperwork submitted.

How long have counties been processing permits? I'm in Itasca county.

i think it dosen't exceed 30 days

Ah ha! So they have Fallow Deer in Itasca! Makes sense.
Holland&Holland

Postby arizona98tj on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:25 pm

I was at the Hubbard County Sheriff's office earlier this week. No appointment. I dropped off my renewal paperwork and the nice lady told me I'd see my permit in less than 30 days.

And for what it is worth, I did my course online but had to drive to the range to do the live fire portion. I took my course from Off Grid Armory. They are located in Clearwater County. We had 72 people online the night the class was given...some were from the Twin Cities.

Update: it arrived in today's mail, submitted Dec. 16th. Pretty good turn around given the Christmas holiday.
arizona98tj

Permit renewal question.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:12 pm

Permit expired 1-6-21. Coworker is a certified instructor. Said he would issue me the proper documentation to renew my permit this coming week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby taylor924 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:47 pm

If anyone is still interested in the permit application process, my students have been reporting various appointment times. Dakota County's Apply Valley office was accepting walk-ins, no appointment needed. Scout County's appointments have only been a couple of days out. I had a Hennepin County student that had to wait 3 months before she could drop off her application. I would call your Sherriff's office for an appointment even before you take your class so that you can go in right after your class.

If anyone wants a class South of the river (Prior Lake), I have my classes posted on the MNGunTalk calendar. $75 for the class including the range fee.

Thanks,
Doug Taylor
Hat Trick Training
NRA Instructor
MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Certified USPSA RSO
taylor924

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 am

Go outside your local MN county to get better service.

I went to Center City / Lindstrum Sheriff Office for a new license (old one expired in July) in mid-December and received the new license before Christmas, about a 5 day turnaround. Previous licenses were from Washington County.

My new Wisconsin license took about 8 days, received after returning from Florida.

My Florida license will take 90 days minimum.

My MN license is a non-resident license.
OldmanFCSA

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:38 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Go outside your local MN county to get better service.

I went to Center City / Lindstrum Sheriff Office for a new license (old one expired in July) in mid-December and received the new license before Christmas, about a 5 day turnaround. Previous licenses were from Washington County.

My new Wisconsin license took about 8 days, received after returning from Florida.

My Florida license will take 90 days minimum.

My MN license is a non-resident license.

MN residents must apply in their resident county.

Applied for my FLA permit 5 April; acknowledged receipt of app on 1 May; permit issued 5 July; received 15 July; expires 7 years from issue date
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm

Yep, only non-MN residents can choose their county to apply in.
BigBlue

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm

BigBlue wrote:Yep, only non-MN residents can choose their county to apply in.

Well, that sucks bigtime.

When I lived in Oakdale, Washington County made it easy and less expensive.
OldmanFCSA

Permit renewal question.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:31 am

I got my permit in the mail today. 10 days from when I submitted my paperwork til when I got it in my hand.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 pm

St Louis County?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Erud on Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:43 pm

My wife did her renewal in Dakota county a few months back, and I believe it was 8 days total from dropping it off to permit in the mailbox. I think the fee went down to $50 ($75 last time I renewed mine) also.
Erud

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Erud wrote:My wife did her renewal in Dakota county a few months back, and I believe it was 8 days total from dropping it off to permit in the mailbox. I think the fee went down to $50 ($75 last time I renewed mine) also.

Good to know. I am up in April. Need to find a class and get going on the renewal.

Only saw one course on the calendar. I heard about an online course......anyone know how that works?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:09 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
Erud wrote:My wife did her renewal in Dakota county a few months back, and I believe it was 8 days total from dropping it off to permit in the mailbox. I think the fee went down to $50 ($75 last time I renewed mine) also.

Good to know. I am up in April. Need to find a class and get going on the renewal.

Only saw one course on the calendar. I heard about an online course......anyone know how that works?

I needed a class last spring, and classroom teaching was shutdown at the time. My computer camera doesn't work so Tootsie's zoom class was a no go.
I took an online class. It was something akin to a self directed Powerpoint presentation of Michael Martin's most recent book.

https://mnselfdefense.com/online-class/

ETA:
Typo corrections.
Last edited by xd ED on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:07 pm

yukonjasper wrote:St Louis County?
Itasca

PHATSPEED7x

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:11 pm

That might be exactly what I'm looking for. How did the range qualifying work?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat