Lapped a AR barrel

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Lapped a AR barrel

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:27 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You have a cheap, low quality barrel. If hand lapping the rifling didn't improve the accuracy, save yourself more heartache and replace it.

I have 2 300 BO barrels that shoot clover leafs at 50 yards. Little more at 100 yards. As with any barrels, find the right bullet it likes.!
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:35 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:You have a cheap, low quality barrel. If hand lapping the rifling didn't improve the accuracy, save yourself more heartache and replace it.

I have 2 300 BO barrels that shoot clover leafs at 50 yards. Little more at 100 yards. As with any barrels, find the right bullet it likes.!

Yeah, but some barrels are just garbage.
Erud

Postby chopper on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Erud wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:

Yeah, but some barrels are just garbage.

I agree and sometimes you cant fix a junk barrel, I have tried many different bullets and a couple powders floated the barrel and lapping was the final attempt to do something with it, It was a cheap barrel at the time but after bore scoping the barrel and seeing the crappy machining inside its time to move on to a better barrel.
chopper

Postby Erud on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:31 pm

Yep. Especially with how hard to find/expensive as components are at the moment, no sense wasting resources or time.
Erud

Previous

Return to Long Guns