repay studebt loans???????????????????????

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Biden will ask DOJ to review his authority to cancel student loan debt -White House
02/17/2021 19:27

(Adds letter from Schumer and Warren, details)

WASHINGTON, Feb 17 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden will ask the Department of Justice to review his legal authority to cancel student loan debt, the White House said on Wednesday, adding the president does not favor $50,000 in student loan relief without limitation.

White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters that Biden believes relief above $10,000 should be targeted based on the borrower's income and the kind of debt in question.

"He doesn't favor $50,000 in student loan relief without limitation," Psaki said.

"Once his team is in place at the Justice Department ... he will ask them to conduct a legal review of his authority to act by executive action in conjunction with a policy review from his Domestic Policy Council on how executive action debt relief, if any, should be targeted," she added.

U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senator Elizabeth Warren, both Democrats, on Wednesday called on Biden to cancel $50,000 in federal student loan debt, adding the administration has "broad authority" to provide relief.

"An ocean of student loan debt is holding back 43 million borrowers and disproportionately weighing down Black and Brown Americans. Canceling $50,000 in federal student loan debt will help close the racial wealth gap, benefit the 40% of borrowers who do not have a college degree, and help stimulate the economy," they said in a statement. (Reporting by Nandita Bose, Susan Heavey and Daphne Psaledakis; Additional reporting by Richard Cowan; Editing by Chris Reese and Jonathan Oatis)
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: repay studebt loans???????????????????????

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:43 pm

So I have to pay for my college and theirs? Why don’t we just make everything free? Cars, houses, boats, electronics,
Holland&Holland

Postby rtk on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:59 pm

I had to pay Hamline, St.Kates and St. Thomas over the years besides being a slave. What the.....
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:18 pm

Isn’t statistically college grads make more than folks with no degree? After the mentioned adjustment based on need all the college dropouts will get their loans forgiven :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby linksep on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:11 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Isn’t statistically college grads make more than folks with no degree? After the mentioned adjustment based on need all the college dropouts will get their loans forgiven :)

People with useful educations have already paid theirs off, this is a giveaway to people that majored in Game-Boy.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby wrench on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 pm

and then there's all of us chumps who paid ours off... :cry:
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby prushin on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm

Shouldn't be an issue to add our numbers into the total. I'd even be willing to let them discount our share based on the fact that college costs have risen much faster than wages since I took out my loan.
prushin

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:28 am

I'm all for the $50,000. It will nearly cut in half, what my wife owes for the loans she took to put both her boys through college. This debt is only the part she took as "Parents" loans that the guvment gave her, with no qualifications required. The loans the boys took, which covered only part of their college, have already been repaid by the boys.

I made the mistake of suggesting to my wife, that since both boys received Excellent Educations, and in less than 8 years of being employed, they are both making well into Six Figures in their jobs, they should have to help pay these other loans. I got THE LOOK :shock: , and that was the last time I mentioned it. After seeing that Face, I began rethinking why I taught her to shoot! She was already a Black Belt in TaeKwonDo and could possibly whoop this old crippled up fats boys butt.

As my dad taught me, Discretion, is the Greater Part of Valor.... :bolt:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby photogpat on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:45 am

Guess I’ll be taking a tax credit next year for the wife and my college tuition that we’ve paid off through hard work.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Lumpy on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:52 pm

FWIW, Biden initially said he didn't have the unilateral authority to write off student loan debt like the House Dems insisted he did, which is why he called for the legal analysis.

Still, amnesty for student loan debt definitely irks those who worked hard to repay their loans. As I've posted previously, this has been termed "The Chump Effect": https://www.city-journal.org/chump-effe ... e-policies
Lumpy

Postby BigBlue on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Plus, the only loans the gov can forgive are federal ones. That leaves a TON of folks with private loans who are going to be really disappointed in the end.
BigBlue

Postby daleamn on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 pm

FWIW, Biden initially said he didn't have the unilateral authority to write off student loan debt like the House Dems insisted he did, which is why he called for the legal analysis.

Well he got ELECTED for goodness sakes!!!
Doesn't that mean he can do anything he wants?
Who's to say he can't?
SANE people?
I don't think that rapidly dwindling minority has enough political clout to swing a cat.
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:25 pm

daleamn wrote:

Well he got ELECTED for goodness sakes!!!
Doesn't that mean he can do anything he wants?
Who's to say he can't?
SANE people?
I don't think that rapidly dwindling minority has enough political clout to swing a cat.

Sure can, systematic racism you know.
Holland&Holland

Return to Politics