AR pattern shotguns....opinions?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR pattern shotguns....opinions?

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:55 pm

I see these pop up on Palmetto State Armory and similar sites. I've seen both inertia and gas operated. Wondering if anyone has one or has owned one and would be willing to share your experience and opinions?

I'm curious and the prices aren't outrageous. I guess that depends on the quality. I would feel better if I could physically inspect one before buying.

I already have several shotguns for bird hunting and a Mossberg 500 for HD, so I don't have a burning need. Just an escalating desire for the idea of it.

Thoughts?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: AR pattern shotguns....opinions?

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 am

I picked up a Charles Daly bullpup 12 gauge. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet due to the weather. Panzer Arms is similar. From reading on AR15.com, these bullpups seem to be fairly good shotguns. Mine has a bit of weight to it and seems built good when I oiled mine up. This is my 1st bullpup. Hope to test by end of week when this snow melts. Have 6 inches so far and still coming down up here.
Bearcatrp

Postby hammAR on Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:58 pm

If your shotgun is afraid of the cold and snow - I would sell it.......... :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:57 pm

My old arse doesn’t like the cold. The shotgun doesn't care how cold it is.
Bearcatrp

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 am

A friend bought the ATI AR-15 410GA. He tried to shoot skeet with it. Had all sorts of malfunctions. Sent it in and they replaced a bunch of parts. Now it usually makes it through a round of skeet but needs to be cleaned before it can shoot another. He bought it for the novelty, which is exactly what it is, a novelty.
grimbeaver

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Charles Daly makes a 410 upper for the AR 15 platform. Almost bought one but decided to stick with 12 gauge and bought a bullpup version.
Bearcatrp

Postby crbutler on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:21 pm

Not quite apples to apples, but I use an AK style shotgun in 3 gun. There is worlds of difference using a DBM shotgun compared to a tube fed gun as far as rapid reloading and engaging multiple targets between a gun that can get 10+ shells in a magazine with near instantaneous reloading compared to the old tube fed gun- but that is a very specialized use.

They can be made very reliable, but they are more maintenance intensive. I do need to use shells that produce enough high pressure gas for mine to be reliable- like AA super sport loads... not Walmart cheap shells or reduced recoil rounds.

Most AR shotguns are cheaply made and need a bunch of (expensive) work to get them to what they are capable of. Short of some competition uses and high volume varmint control, there is no reason one needs it over another model (want or desire is aok) but don’t feel it’s a necessity. They tend to be straight stocked, and will have offset (as in high above the barrel) sights, so most have issues with hitting flying birds with them; but conversely that tends to mitigate recoil a bit. Add compensators and porting and they are loud as hell.

Kind of depends what your goals are, but IMO, a functional DBM gun is going to cost a fair amount more in money and maintenance than a regular repeating shotgun.
crbutler

Postby prushin on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Everyone....Meet Ernie...Ernie Ford. Ernie is a Panzer Arms AR-12 Pro. Ernie has reliably shot every type of 12ga I have fed him. Crappy Wally World target loads through my own reloaded slugs and buckshot.

While I haven't quite reached 16 tons, he has probably put me deeper in debt.

Seriously though, this gun is loads of fun and has fairly mild recoil. It's not too hard to keep the muzzle down on rapid fire either. I've shot skeet with it...All the crap on the top rail removed and a simple clamp on bead out front. I've shot some tactical/practical stuff with it too. My only complaint is the weight. I grew up shooting old breech loaders and pump guns built from the 1920's through the 1960's, and this thing has some weight. Every time I've turned to engage a target I've heard a subliminal turret whirring. I would not want to haul this around fields all day.

It is the most effective close-midrange coyote gun I've ever had. A single night in a blind upwind of the chicken house resulted in 9 dead 'yotes. Chickens didn't lay for 2 days after though. I've considered using it during shotgun season in Indiana if my back ever recovers enough to shoot a 12 ga again. I'm interested to see how far it could reach out.

It's still just mostly a toy. Tons of fun too. If you want to try it out, Yukon, I'd be willng to watch someone else enjoy it.
prushin

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:01 pm

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:51 pm

Prushin, looks similar to my Charles Daly 12 gauge bullpup. Congrats. Haven’t shot mine yet. Already know my back is going to go nuts when I shoot it but need to test it out.
Bearcatrp

Return to Long Guns